Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes Polishers: Selecting The Best BigFoot For You

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin` View Post
    I have the 21, 15, Duetto and 75E. My overall favorite is the 15.
    Why the 15 over the Duetto?

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Why the 15 over the Duetto?
    Faster correction and keeps the pad rotating a bit better.

Excluding sanding, do you prefer the Duetto over the 15??

If the 21 was as smooth as the 15 with a 5" BP, it`d be my favorite. However, the 5" BP really throws off the balance with the 21, IME.

FWIW, I use the washer mod on the 21, 15 and Duetto.

Post Thanks / Like

You cannot go wrong with the hat! If you are going to be polishing large, flat panels, go with a 21, if you are polishing regular, modern cars, go with the 15
    Hey Todd. I didn`t see you mention the 21 with a 5 inch backing plate?

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent article! Thanks again todd!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nezff View Post
    Hey Todd. I didn`t see you mention the 21 with a 5 inch backing plate?
    Correct, that is not offered by Rupes and as Mark said, can upset the balance of the machine.

If you want to use a 5-inch backing plate, my recommendation would be to use the Rupes 15, as they spent a considerable amount of time engineering that system to work together.

Post Thanks / Like

Faster correction and keeps the pad rotating a bit better.

Excluding sanding, do you prefer the Duetto over the 15??

If the 21 was as smooth as the 15 with a 5" BP, it`d be my favorite. However, the 5" BP really throws off the balance with the 21, IME.

FWIW, I use the washer mod on the 21, 15 and Duetto.
    I`m torn between both (the 15 and the Duetto). I do think the 15 corrects a bit more, but the Duetto, with the 12 mm stroke does better against trim pieces and smaller areas. The 15 rotates the pad better on flat panels, the Duetto on bumper edges, etc..

Ultimately, I like the Duetto`s PC-style chassis, with the tail-mounted speed dial and on/off switch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I`m torn between both (the 15 and the Duetto). I do think the 15 corrects a bit more, but the Duetto, with the 12 mm stroke does better against trim pieces and smaller areas. The 15 rotates the pad better on flat panels, the Duetto on bumper edges, etc..

Ultimately, I like the Duetto`s PC-style chassis, with the tail-mounted speed dial and on/off switch.
    Why do you feel the Duetto spins better than the 15 on bumper edges? Smaller stroke?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Correct, that is not offered by Rupes and as Mark said, can upset the balance of the machine.

If you want to use a 5-inch backing plate, my recommendation would be to use the Rupes 15, as they spent a considerable amount of time engineering that system to work together.
    gotcha. I know a lot of guys use it and also it was recommended to me by some Autopia and Autogeek employees when I purchased.

Post Thanks / Like

I just did a side by side between the Duetto and the 15, specifically regarding downward pressure and edging the pad. Surprisingly, the Duetto seemed to handle pressure better overall. It was especially noticeable when the pad was tilted, in favor of the Duetto.

FYI, both polishers used the washer mod.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ve been kicking around the idea of buying either a Duetto or a 15. I currently have a PC 7336 and a Flex 3401. Ever since Meguiars came out with microfiber pads I actually prefer to use the PC over the Flex for my initial polishing step. I just find it much easier for me to use instead of the Flex.

I really like what I hear about the 15 and 21 in that the machine has less vibration and you don`t have to put a ton of pressure on the machine to make progress. Is the Duetto in the same category? I always hate polishing only to end up feeling like it was actual work instead of something fun

I have a 2007 BMW 3 series sedan and also an older Ford Taurus. My BMW usually gets a light polish to get it swirl free in the spring and the Taurus usually just gets an all-in-one type of polish in the spring too.

Any recommendations? I`m leaning toward the 15 right now.. but everything Todd mentioned about the Duetto being more PC like interests me as well. But if the 15 is that much more powerful to save me some time, I`m all for it.

I`ve also considered the 5" Hybrid pad/backing plate option for my Flex.. but everything I`ve heard about the Rupes seems so much better for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goleafsgo View Post
    I`ve been kicking around the idea of buying either a Duetto or a 15. I currently have a PC 7336 and a Flex 3401. Ever since Meguiars came out with microfiber pads I actually prefer to use the PC over the Flex for my initial polishing step. I just find it much easier for me to use instead of the Flex.
    Gotcha...

I really like what I hear about the 15 and 21 in that the machine has less vibration and you don`t have to put a ton of pressure on the machine to make progress. Is the Duetto in the same category? I always hate polishing only to end up feeling like it was actual work instead of something fun
    The 15 will have a little more power than the Duetto, and for what you are looking for, would likely be your best choice. While the Duetto will easily outperform a PC, and with less pressure, the dynamics are pretty similar.

[/QUOTE]I have a 2007 BMW 3 series sedan and also an older Ford Taurus. My BMW usually gets a light polish to get it swirl free in the spring and the Taurus usually just gets an all-in-one type of polish in the spring too.

Any recommendations? I`m leaning toward the 15 right now.. but everything Todd mentioned about the Duetto being more PC like interests me as well. But if the 15 is that much more powerful to save me some time, I`m all for it.

I`ve also considered the 5" Hybrid pad/backing plate option for my Flex.. but everything I`ve heard about the Rupes seems so much better for me.[/QUOTE]

I too believe the 15 is gonna suit you best.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goleafsgo View Post
    I feel the same way. However, foamed wool works very well with the 3401 for compounding and is smoother than foam. I will always reach for the 3401 before any of my Rupes polishers strictly because of the forced rotation(even though I have to fight the polisher). If all cars had strictly flat panels, I`d never touch my 3401 again; I`d be strictly a Rupes guy. On the 1/4 panels, bumpers and other sharp angles of my ZL1, I didn`t bother using the Rupes at all.

Post Thanks / Like

Well after my latest session with the 75E I gotta say corners are now in the territory of rupes... Also note I dropped in a washer mod on the 75E.

I`m seriously considering swapping my 3401 out for a 15 or Duetto. The only thing I`m not a fan of is the PC style chassis. I love working with smooth machines, that said correction on corners is also important so the 3401 stays around... at least till some new pads come in for the mini. I`m very impressed with the power of this little guy.. personally it can demolish a GG6 when used right.

Post Thanks / Like

Any tilt to the 75E and it`ll slow down or stop. When the pad is rotating 100%, yes, it`s a beast. The washer mod is not needed with the 75E as the backing plate does not make any contact with the polisher "head".

Post Thanks / Like

Any tilt to the 75E and it`ll slow down or stop. When the pad is rotating 100%, yes, it`s a beast. The washer mod is not needed with the 75E as the backing plate does not make any contact with the polisher "head".
    Devil`s Advocate:

The Mini and Duetto are essentially the same machine but tuned for different pad sizes. Both use the same chassis and motor. If you notice that the Mini is slowing down with pad tilt and losing rotation, than it would be easy to surmise that the washer mod has little-to-no effect on pad rotation once pressure is applied to the machine.

This has been my experience with the washer mod as well. Yes, it makes the pad spin faster when the entire machine is lifted off paint, but the actual increase in rotation once the pad is engaged to the paint is very little.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information