Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes LHR21ES and non-Rupes pads

Sometimes I wonder if my rupes 21 is off balance. I`ve had the speed control module replaced under warranty by AG also. In an attempt to achieve the "smoothness" that others are raving about, I bought a bunch of Rupes foam and MF pads. I keep reading about others saying B&S foam and MF pads are great, but the MF pads vibrate like hell every time I use them. Meg`s MF pads are a lot better, but not a "match made in heaven" smoothness. Even thought the cut is great and definately noticeable over a standard DA, the smoothness is not always there. Sure takes the fun out of using the rupes sometimes. Anyone else having this problem?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    When using other brand foam pads and not mf pads.
    So basically I couldn`t use any of the lake country ccs or flat pads I have purchased? I would have to throw those out?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J504 View Post
    Sometimes I wonder if my rupes 21 is off balance. I`ve had the speed control module replaced under warranty by AG also. In an attempt to achieve the "smoothness" that others are raving about, I bought a bunch of Rupes foam and MF pads. I keep reading about others saying B&S foam and MF pads are great, but the MF pads vibrate like hell every time I use them. Meg`s MF pads are a lot better, but not a "match made in heaven" smoothness. Even thought the cut is great and definately noticeable over a standard DA, the smoothness is not always there. Sure takes the fun out of using the rupes sometimes. Anyone else having this problem?
    Are you using the standard BP and pads with the 21 or have you switches to the smaller backing plate and pads?

Quote Originally Posted by nezff View Post
    So basically I couldn`t use any of the lake country ccs or flat pads I have purchased? I would have to throw those out?
    If you have another machine I would use them or you can sell them.
    Official Selected Team Member of the Air Force One Detailing Team
    Flex 3401 / Flex PE-8 / Rupes 21 / G110v2 / GG6" / Rupes 75E / GG3"
    Click and Like my Facebook Page

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine taking a rock and tying a string to it....

Start with a string that is 5 feet long... hold on to it, and spin it above your head. If the rock isn`t too big, you won`t feel too much force...

Now extend that string to 20 feet long, and twirl it above your head at the same rate. The force of the rock will be much greater and you might pull your shoulder out of socket...

The more you increase the stroke of a machine, the greater the force you place on every part of the system.

On a standard 8 mm / 5/16" stroke, most of the vibration and unbalance is absorbed by a foam pads on cushioning effect.

When we talk about a 21 mm stroke, slight differences in weight aren`t as effectively canceled.

Can you use other brand pads on the Rupes? Sure, many do and many love it!
    It is my personal opinion that the Rupes` pads deliver superior results and superior polishing comfort when exposed to the large throws of BigFoot polishers.

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn`t suprise me that the white pad with blue cushion self-destructed. I`ve killed a few with my PCXP. These things were made for rotary only (IMHO). I switched to Buff & Shine pads now and I`m in the process of killing off all my remaining LC and Megs (except the 4" Megs burgandy ones - they rule on headlights!)

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Love those pads! But on on a rotary! Used on a rupes I killed a few as well

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Evan.J View Post
    Are you using the standard BP and pads with the 21 or have you switches to the smaller backing plate and pads?
    The pads I mentioned were all with the 5 inch backing plate and 5.5 inch pads.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used the 5.5" Megs MF pads with the 5" BP and I have had no issues, it`s very smooth. Not as smooth as with the Rupes foam pads, but very close. Maybe your pads aren`t as close to center as possible? I have noticed even the slightest offset when not using Rupes pads makes a big difference also.

Post Thanks / Like

On a 21, correct?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    On a 21, correct?
    Yes sir, on the 21. I had actually bought the machine used, but it looked great in condition and couldn`t even tell if it was used or not. It had problems with vibrations and the speed control (fixed now) since I got it in my hands. Surprisingly, it`s very smooth sometimes, and I haven`t been able to pinpoint the technique or what I did that lessened the vibration. Hopefully these rupes pads will be my solution

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information