Post Thanks / Like

Brinkman vs Worklight

Ok, so I have been polishing the Saleen the past few day`s and I am almost finished with the whole thing. I`ve been using two worklights, one dual standing light and one that sits on the ground as I polish and everything has appeared to be going great. Well, decided to break out the Brinkman and inspect some areas and what do you know.... I am seeing more marring! Wtf.... I guess I`m going to have to start over. Is the worklight even worth the hassle if it doesn`t show everything? This is extremely disappointing...
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brinkman vs Worklight

I`ve found halogen lights are the best and are you using clean pads and clean quality microfibers? Dirty pads could be causing the marring or your paint is just super soft and being marred from the towels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by GettingStarted View Post
    I`ve found halogen lights are the best and are you using clean pads and clean quality microfibers? Dirty pads could be causing the marring or your paint is just super soft and being marred from the towels.

Clean pads - yes, clean towels - yes. The paint is SUPER soft. You could almost stare at it and put a scratch into it. I have noticed some towel marks with even my microfiber madness yellow fellow towels though. I have been using the (what I am calling) "The Todd Helm Towel Method" by going left to right with my towel when removing polish. It helps me differ from towel marks and existing marring.

I thought the same thing about the halogen lights. I thought they were the best! My two are a 1000w twin tripod and a single 500w ground unit and I place them on opposite sides of me at different levels so it helps me see the marring/swirls/etc. and the paint appeared perfect. Then I get I put the brinkman on the same area tonight and it showed WAY more than I was seeing with the halogens. It`s almost like the pure black paint absorbed the halogens light differently than the xenon of the brinkman? All I know is it is extremely frustrating.... I guess it`s good practice.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since switching to LED spot lamps. It has been easier to catch micro marring. I have a four lamp stand. Key is you want the single square diode not the wash. I posted a thread on the build. I don`t know how to paste through Tapatalk but it is the 3600 lumen light stand thread.
    Aaron Bodle made one with dual flood housings and screw in bulbs which actually I like better for service.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    The exact title: 3600 lumens LED stand build. If that helps for any ideas. I just hated always having to pick up and double check with the Brinkman. The stand was like having a Brinkman on and following me.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    The exact title: 3600 lumens LED stand build. If that helps for any ideas. I just hated always having to pick up and double check with the Brinkman. The stand was like having a Brinkman on and following me.

This thread? http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...and-build.html

That is pretty smart build bud. I was thinking LED next, but was afraid that the bluish tint would wash out of certain colors? Do you have any problems with those LEDs? I know Home Depot sells a husky LED work light for $100: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-ft-...5?N=5yc1vZbm8p. It`s not 3600 lumens (actually 1720) and not an actual spot light like yours. I think that could be part of the current work light problem. It`s more of a spread out beam and not direct like your LED spot light and my brinkman flashlight.

Post Thanks / Like

This thread has some great ideas for overall lighting and work stand type lighting
    http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...t-there-3.html

Post #37 has a great set up for two LED bulbs using photographic equipment that doesn`t require allot of work putting it together.

If you make sure you use LED bulbs that are 5000K they don`t have the bluish tint you mention which comes from 6500K bulbs.

These LED floods mentioned in post 37 really blast the swirls even on light colored paint.

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post

That is pretty smart build bud. I was thinking LED next, but was afraid that the bluish tint would wash out of certain colors? Do you have any problems with those LEDs? I know Home Depot sells a husky LED work light for $100: Husky, 5 ft. 2500 Lumen Multi Directional LED Work Light, 3PL-TP-DF-24W at The Home Depot - Mobile. It`s not 3600 lumens (actually 1720) and not an actual spot light like yours. I think that could be part of the current work light problem. It`s more of a spread out beam and not direct like your LED spot light and my brinkman flashlight.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    This thread has some great ideas for overall lighting and work stand type lighting

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...t-there-3.html

Post #37 has a great set up for two LED bulbs using photographic equipment that doesn`t require allot of work putting it together.

If you make sure you use LED bulbs that are 5000K they don`t have the bluish tint you mention which comes from 6500K bulbs.

These LED floods mentioned in post 37 really blast the swirls even on light colored paint.

Thank you for the thread. It does have a lot of good information. I bought a "lot" of 6 led bulbs off eBay earlier. The bulbs each are around 1000 lumens and are warm white and paid $9 a piece for them. I think I came out well. Now I just need to figure out a way to mount them in my garage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post

That is pretty smart build bud. I was thinking LED next, but was afraid that the bluish tint would wash out of certain colors? Do you have any problems with those LEDs? I know Home Depot sells a husky LED work light for $100: http://m.homedepot.com/p/Husky-5-ft-...5?N=5yc1vZbm8p. It`s not 3600 lumens (actually 1720) and not an actual spot light like yours. I think that could be part of the current work light problem. It`s more of a spread out beam and not direct like your LED spot light and my brinkman flashlight.
    The lights are still in service today. No problems. If I do I will convert to the flood head and screw in same type of bulb. These have no blue tint currently and have been used on white-pearl to black. I have noticed next to no rework upon sun inspection as most time I finish up at night.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Halogen lights cast a more yellow (sub-4000k) color pattern that may hide swirls on certain colors, like red. I have never had a problem picking up micro haze on black, but usually its the way you look at the paint. Catch the paint from an angle, with the lights set back a little ways, and the rest of the lights in the garage off.

The FLEX Swirl Finder is excellent (because of its whiter color) at showing the swirl marks on everything.

Thread Information