Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

has rupes retired the rotary to bodyshops only?

Seems like their are no more rotary only detailers or rotary users since the rupes.lol. Does anyone still use a rotary to detail?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: has rupes retired the rotary to bodyshops only?

all the time FLEX FTW pe14
    www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc Please Like my FB if you like my work

Post Thanks / Like

Have you had any issues with different paint systems where you had to use more than 2 steps to achieve results you were looking for?

Post Thanks / Like

How about a 1 step with the rotary? I just here so many people say how their rotary is worthless after buying a rupes polisher.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Been using one for 40 yrs and still do.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JMjr View Post
    Seems like their are no more rotary only detailers or rotary users since the rupes.lol. Does anyone still use a rotary to detail?
    Been using a Rotary since I was 10 years old...
    And I can correct all day and night and get awesome clarity without holograms and swirls..
    I use it because for me, it is fast and I can get great clarity quickly and efficiently..

All the Boat and Airplane Detailers only use Rotary Power, and can kill any Random Orbital within a few minutes of correcting gelcoat or Imron airplane paint... Next time you see a really beautifully clear Boat or Airplane, know that Rotary Power made that happen - with no swirls or holograms...

If you really want to learn how to do this, it just takes practice... Was blessed to learn from my Dad and then later, many, great Painters who knew Rotaries and guess what - we all knew how to use this tool and NOT produce holograms or swirls...

I bought a Flex 3401VRG back when they first came out - which is years before many of you were around here..

I found it effective, but not as quick as my trusty Makita 9227c or later my Flex PE 14-250... I like the smaller size of the Flex Rotary, but I feel it is not as powerful as the Makita, when I exert a lot of pressure on it; it`s still a great machine though..

Glad there are newer machines out there that are easier to use for those that need this and allow more users/casual users to get great results and carry on the words - Detailer, Detailing...

I will be happy to keep using what I use and love the additional benefit of getting a great workout carrying, holding in all kinds of positions, and applying counter pressure with a 10Lb tool = great forearms, biceps, and killer grip..

And the finish - always stunningly clear !

Dan F
    dansautodetailing.com

Post Thanks / Like

How about a 1 step with the rotary? I just here so many people say how their rotary is worthless after buying a rupes polisher.
    I one step all the time with a Rotary....

Like any tool, you have to want to take the time to learn, learn, learn, how to use it.. Hopefully, find someone who is really great with it to help you get better at it...

I am sure as the technology improves, there may be an opportunity someday when all the Manufacturers of Everything Painted, will at least think about finishing with something else besides the Rotary Power they have been using for what - 100 years ?
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Have you had any issues with different paint systems where you had to use more than 2 steps to achieve results you were looking for?
    When using a Rotary?
    Some paint is easier to correct than others, some paint is harder than others, some paint will be a little sticky when warmed up, etc., etc.,

Issues after 2 steps ? Better not be any by then...
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I still use my Makita regularly for more in depth details. I only bust out the PC for light swirl removal work.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate all the great responses and insight. Im willing to put in the time and dedication to learn. I just feel so much more comfortable with a rotary then a da. Just the decision of getting the flex or a dewalt 849x. Im a pretty big guy (6"4 290) weight is not the issue just have hands like baseball mits. Lol

Post Thanks / Like

Use one every day. The rotary is only dead to those who were never good with one in the first place

Keeper of the beautiful Jean-Claude's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    Use one every day. The rotary is only dead to those who were never good with one in the first place
    Zing!
    Detailed Designs Auto Spa
    Professional Car Detailing Atlanta
    Authorized Modesta Installer
    Authorized CQuartz Finest Installer
    Paint Protection Film and Clear Bra Installation

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use a rupes and rotary A LOT and honestly they each have their place.
    http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...challenge.html

Look at that thread... I don`t think I could of got those results in 1 step as fast as I did with a rupes. On the other hand I know my shop wouldn`t be able to turn the work we do so consistently with out rupes polishers. My team calls me grandpa when I pick up a rotary and I`m only 31... Yet it seems almost daily there is something they can`t do with a rupes that I can with a rotary. Both great tools when used correctly. It took me thousands of hours with a rotary to be able to finish down any paint system halo free. At the shop we often fix rotary halo`s. But more often these days the newest form of inexperience I see all the time is DA Haze. And IMO DA haze is more annoying to remove than rotary swirls because of the stupid "J" mark effect you get when compounding aggressively with a DA. I honestly think either style machine takes loads of practice to do it right, but out the gate from a never done this stand point a DA is going to be more forgiving.

Post Thanks / Like

i still love my rotary but i have learned to make adjustments & use the rupes as well. i have more fun polishing paint when i use them together.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoFast908Z View Post
    A-style executed flawlessly.

Post Thanks / Like

Even with all the new d/a technology I still would love to learn how to use a rotary properly. I`ve read that some paints (harder) finish down better with a rotary than any d/a.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information