Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Help decide on next compound....

So I was playing around with Sonax PPF yesterday on my personal car and was thinking I needed something with a little heavier cut in my arsenal. My go to duo has always been m105 if I needed something truly heavy, but I am wanting to try something different with not near as much dusting. The dusting drives me crazy! Anyhow, the two products I have been looking into the most are combos with the Blackfire SRC Duo and CarPro Fixer/Reflect. Any experience and help with deciding will be greatly appreciated!

Scott
    2006 Saleen S281 Supercharged - Black

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help decide on next compound....

Scott -
    Why are you working it to the point that it dusts in the first place? I have used Sonax Profile line Perfect Finish many times with a Rotary and never had it dust..

A heavier cut compound could be different on different paint types...
    M105 should not dust either if you spray a little moisture on it after it starts the early "im going to get ugly on you" phase...

What about Meguiars 101 ? Way more user friendly than 105...

I hear a lot of people raving about HD Adapt but dont know where it falls in your criteria..

Good luck !
    DanF

Post Thanks / Like

Help decide on next compound....

Sonax PPF isn`t dusting for me. Sorry for the confusion. I was referring to m105 being so dusty the last time I used it. I will have to try to spray some moisture on the pad. Never heard of that before. Thanks for the tip DanF. Can I just use water or something more specific?

I have thought about m101, but I almost want to try something completely different than my norm. If it comes down to it I might buy some just to give a try anyway.

Maybe I should clarify with what I meant by my previous post. I would like something that works similar to PPF, but has a little heavier cut to remove some deeper defects.

Also, I am working with mainly Ford clear coats. My own and some Saleen club member cars that are 10+ years old and sitting outside.

Post Thanks / Like

HD Adapt and Cut are very good. M105 has a learning curve, but works very well. I like D300 myself. D300 combined with the new Megs Xtra cut MF discs is suppose to be a real winner. Menzerna FG400 is also very good.

www.meticulous-detail.com/

"The Prep makes the Pop, not what`s on Top"

Post Thanks / Like

I recently started using M100 and really like it. No dust and it cuts like crazy. However, HD Adapt blew my mind. Maybe not quite as heavy of cut as M100, but this stuff is no joke. It will cut 2000 grit scatches out and finish LSP ready in one step. There are so many good compounds out there though, its hard to recommend just one.
    Likes felixthecat liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    There are so many good compounds out there though, its hard to recommend just one.

This seems to be the problem lol. Every thread I read recommended something different.

Post Thanks / Like

Wolfgang Uber Compound. Super nice cutting with no dusting

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is raving about M101 but I haven`t tried it yet. It`s on my next shopping list. I saw a comparo video next to M105 and it cuts better and left a better finish using the same pad, machine, and buffing cycle length.

My current go-to combo is M105 and Surbuf. The key to avoiding dust is keeping the pad moist and only biting off small areas (1`x1` to 18"-18" max) and hitting hard and fast. When used right M105 should buff down practically clear when the buffing cycle is done with minimal residue to wipe off and little to no dust.

I will be purchasing the Xtra Cut MF pads and M101 next as I do a lot of sanding for a customer of mine and need be able to cut heavier and quicker on these hard truck paints he sends me.

Mrclean81 and I worked together recently and he was following me around a vehicle with Adapt/Meg`s MF cutting pad/GG6 3rd gen cutting out my 3000 grit sanding scratches on hard, sticky, black Chevy truck paint and leaving a very good finish that only needed a minor polishing step to restore the finish completely.

D300 is a great light to moderate compound that can finish LSP ready in a lot of situations.

Like mentioned before there are a lot of choices, but I believe through evidence and experience that Meguiar`s really has compounding technology from a pad/liquid perspective zeroed in.

Post Thanks / Like

i like the cut that my duetto gives with the rupes mf cutting disc and the blue coarse compound gel

doesn`t finish lsp ready but never expected it to either

i have also had dusting with 105, but probably from user error (buffing too long)

and i have a wg compound sample in the mail-heard great things about it so figured i`d give it a try

Brandt K.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Scott -
    Ok, I get; thanks for the clarification..

Yes, I just spray some water or Pad Conditioner on the surface I am compounding, and it helps 105 work like it was designed to do.. And as been already said, M105 can finish down really nicely, making M205 a really easy follow up and totally enhancing an already glossy surface...

In keeping with your original question - have you considered the Sonax 5/4 Fine abrasive paste ? It says it takes out scratches, weathered paint, hard paint, etc.... Its in the same family as your other Sonax product... Sonax Profiline Fine Abrasive Paste 5/4
    Good Luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Meticulous View Post
    HD Adapt and Cut are very good. M105 has a learning curve, but works very well. I like D300 myself. D300 combined with the new Megs Xtra cut MF discs is suppose to be a real winner. Menzerna FG400 is also very good.
    I can say that D300 does work realy well with just the standard meg`s MF pads.

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Wolfgang Uber Compound. Super nice cutting with no dusting
    That seems to be the consensous from many folks over at autogeek as well.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gloss Boss View Post
    Everyone is raving about M101 but I haven`t tried it yet. It`s on my next shopping list. I saw a comparo video next to M105 and it cuts better and left a better finish using the same pad, machine, and buffing cycle length.

My current go-to combo is M105 and Surbuf. The key to avoiding dust is keeping the pad moist and only biting off small areas (1`x1` to 18"-18" max) and hitting hard and fast. When used right M105 should buff down practically clear when the buffing cycle is done with minimal residue to wipe off and little to no dust.

I will be purchasing the Xtra Cut MF pads and M101 next as I do a lot of sanding for a customer of mine and need be able to cut heavier and quicker on these hard truck paints he sends me.

Mrclean81 and I worked together recently and he was following me around a vehicle with Adapt/Meg`s MF cutting pad/GG6 3rd gen cutting out my 3000 grit sanding scratches on hard, sticky, black Chevy truck paint and leaving a very good finish that only needed a minor polishing step to restore the finish completely.

D300 is a great light to moderate compound that can finish LSP ready in a lot of situations.

Like mentioned before there are a lot of choices, but I believe through evidence and experience that Meguiar`s really has compounding technology from a pad/liquid perspective zeroed in.
    I have used M105 on my personal cars and it does have a learing curve. I got dust when I was over working it or didn`t have the pad primed correctly. As stated a smaller area is also good to use M105 with. I have also used a spritz of QD to keep the pad damp.
    Competition Ready Team 1929 Bentley
    1999 Silvermist Metallic Pontiac Grand Prix GT
    2002 Arctic White Chevy Camaro SS

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 512detail View Post
    i like the cut that my duetto gives with the rupes mf cutting disc and the blue coarse compound gel

doesn`t finish lsp ready but never expected it to either

i have also had dusting with 105, but probably from user error (buffing too long)

and i have a wg compound sample in the mail-heard great things about it so figured i`d give it a try

Super jealous of the Duetto! It`s on my wish list.

I am beginning to think it was definitely user error on my part with m105. Before I buy anything else I might just give it another go this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by XxBoostinxX View Post
    Super jealous of the Duetto! It`s on my wish list.

I am beginning to think it was definitely user error on my part with m105. Before I buy anything else I might just give it another go this weekend.
    my user error with 105 was trying to cover too large of an area and running the polisher too long

but if you finish up your compounding pad with a black pad primed with 105 you can avoid most of the mess and it does finish quite well...todd did a great writeup on this

finishing with m105 (sorry no link provided)

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I recently started using M100 and really like it. No dust and it cuts like crazy. However, HD Adapt blew my mind. Maybe not quite as heavy of cut as M100, but this stuff is no joke. It will cut 2000 grit scatches out and finish LSP ready in one step. There are so many good compounds out there though, its hard to recommend just one.
    agreed. m100 is where its at for me. less dust than m105 and reasonably priced (unlike m101). Can finish down real well also under the right set of circumstances. Everyone was so hot on m101 for awhile there that m100 I feel got lost in the shuffle
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

M101 is my favorite heavy hitter!
    "When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
    Likes BudgetPlan1, felixthecat liked this post

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information