Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch polishers

SEMA 2013- Rupes S.p.A. announced and introduced two new polishers, the Duetto and the Mini. These polishers retain the traditional random orbital design, namely a thumb-operated on/off switch and a tail-mounted speed dial (1-6).

Almost instantly the interest peaked and the questions were asked... namely, how would these new Rupes polishers stack up against other traditional random-orbital DA polishers? In this brief in comparison, we aim to answer this question.

Here is one of our test panel hoods we had laying around. I cannot tell you what was done to it but it appeared to polished with rocks, sandpaper and thumbtacks. In other words, it was dull and and scratched badly.

Test One: Rupes "BigFoot" Duetto Polisher vs. Griot`s Garage 6-inch Random Orbital Polisher

The Griot`s Garage 6-inch Polisher has been widely regarded as the most powerful (traditional) DA polisher available. A powerful 7-amp, 850-watt motor is by far the strongest in class, while the 6800-OPM speed limit and 5/16 (8mm) throw is industry standard.

In comparison, the Rupes "BigFoot" Duetto features less powerful 500-watt motor but a larger 12mm stroke and a 5000 OPM ceiling.

Would the higher OPM rating and stronger motor of the Griot`s be enough to overcome the large stroke of the Rupes Duetto? To keep testing results similar, both products would be applied for 60 seconds using firm overlapping passes. The polish of choice was Wolfgang Uber Compound and the pads were Lake Country`s Cyan Hydro-Tech Cutting Pads.

First up, the Duetto...

Compared to the Griot`s, the Duetto is a little shorter, a little thicker and a little taller. However, it instantly feels comfortable and familiar. The soft-start feature means the pad takes a few seconds to ramp up to speed once turned on. This machine, like all of Rupes highly-engineered polishers, is extremely smooth and nearly vibration free.

The pad never achieves the outright rotation (spinning) of the Griot`s, but the paint correction results were instantly visible. Here is the final result...

The Griot`s Garage 6-inch Polisher quickly gets up to speed, the fast 6800 OPM gets the polishing pad spinning. The pad is also less likely to bog when pressed down. There is considerably more vibration than with the Rupes, but not enough to be distracting.

The results of the Griot`s...

The Duetto, with less power, less pad rotation and less vibration, easily produced a better, faster result.

Test Two: Rupes LHR 75E Mini "BigFoot" vs. Griot`s Garage 3 Inch Polisher

If you were looking for a purpose-built spot-buffing polisher you used to only have one choice. The Griot`s 3-inch... until now. The Rupes Mini Polisher is loaded with the features you would expect in their "BigFoot" line, but has been balanced and designed to work with 3-inch polishing pads.

The Griot`s uses a 240W motor which spins a 3/16" orbit to turn a maximum of 10,000 OPM. The Rupes uses powerful 500w motor, a large 12mm (slightly more than 7/16") stroke and a maximum OPM of 5500.

First up, the Rupes...

In your hands the Rupes has considerably more weight and the larger stroke means that it doesn`t quite fit in tightest of areas. That said, this thing flat-out rips!!! It equaled (or bettered) the cutting power and speed of the Duetto, quickly eliminating the deep paint defects and rough finish of the paint.

The Griot`s light weight and small stature make it easy to operate. Ideal for small areas were the power can be focused, the Griot`s 3-inch Polisher struggled on the large surface area of the test panel.

Ultimately, both Griot`s polishers have excelled at their jobs and have both achieved outstanding results for years. It is ultimately a question of money. The Rupes offerings deliver more polishing power and higher-engineering, but will cost 2 to 3 times as much. You cannot go wrong with any choice, but you will go faster with Rupes.

Post Thanks / Like

re: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch polishers

awesome. thanks for the review. really makes me want one even more now

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

re: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch polishers

Wow great review, Todd! Just goes to show you, the size of the motor isn`t everything. As you noted the stroke, balance, and vibration were all factor that contributed to the Rupes being the winner. Thanks for sharing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch polishers

Great comparison Todd!! Been happy with my GG DA, but the thought of having to do fewer passes and with little to no vibration (old bones) is very enticing. The big question in my mind is: What way to go-- Duetto at $320 or LHR 15ES for $350??? If the Duetto was $200 it would be a no brain decision, but at only $30 difference it is more difficult. Hope you plan a comparison of these two!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch polishers

Great info Todd. Thanks for the review.
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Great report Todd!

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Now I want both Rupes machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting comparison. Would like to second SKI2...what are the benefits / differences of the Duetto at $320 vs LHR 15ES for $350???

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heavily prefer the Duetto over the 15 & 21 strictly because of PC style chassis of the Duetto. The 15 & 21 are too big/long.

Great comparison, Todd!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin` View Post
    I heavily prefer the Duetto over the 15 & 21 strictly because of PC style chassis of the Duetto. The 15 & 21 are too big/long.

I politely disagree. I think the length of the 15/21 makes polishing hoods and roofs so easy. Maybe it`s just me, but my back kills me when I have to polish the middle of a big hood, but I don`t want to lean on the fender (avoid scratching). So, the long Rupes adds like 6" or so of reach for my arms. I would have more confidence that the larger throw of the 15/21 is doing more "work" than the smaller throw of the 12 with the little downwards pressure I`d be putting on the polisher with my arms extended.

Then again, I`ve had a lumbar laminectomy so maybe my back is just weak.

Or maybe I`m just a sissie.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Swanicyouth View Post
    I politely disagree. I think the length of the 15/21 makes polishing hoods and roofs so easy. Maybe it`s just me, but my back kills me when I have to polish the middle of a big hood, but I don`t want to lean on the fender (avoid scratching). So, the long Rupes adds like 6" or so of reach for my arms. I would have more confidence that the larger throw of the 15/21 is doing more "work" than the smaller throw of the 12 with the little downwards pressure I`d be putting on the polisher with my arms extended.

Then again, I`ve had a lumbar laminectomy so maybe my back is just weak.

Or maybe I`m just a sissie.
    Good point about not having to lean over when polishing a hood.

Post Thanks / Like

I cannot believe the difference in correction power, it`s HUGE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    Wow great review, Todd! Just goes to show you, the size of the motor isn`t everything.
    Exactly!

Post Thanks / Like

well looks like I will just stick with my GG 6" and a 2.75" backing plate as its not much bigger at all then that "mini"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaderGT View Post
    well looks like I will just stick with my GG 6" and a 2.75" backing plate as its not much bigger at all then that "mini"
    This is a great, cost-effective approach. The Mini, which uses the same (but faster spinning!) motor and stroke as the Duetto, should still produce more cutting power, although both will do a great job.

The biggest difference, in my experience thus far, is that Rupes engineered the internal parts of the Mini for use with a 3 inch pad. The result is very little vibration and ultra-smooth running.

If you are willing to deal with a little more vibration and a little less polishing power, the GG 6" outfitted with spot-polishing pads will do a great job. You can never have too many choices.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to have to get some of those 3" Rupes MF pads to try

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information