Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch polishers

Thanks Todd! As it turns out there`s no rush. Sale says "No Exclusions" but Rupes polishers are not included. Sure is a different definition of "No Exclusions" than in my dictionary.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch polishers

Todd, did you use the 7/8" Cyan pad with the Duestto and GG6"?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin` View Post
    Todd, did you use the 7/8" Cyan pad with the Duestto and GG6"?
    No.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    No.
    Why not?

Post Thanks / Like

Let me expand on that answer a little more...

Imagine a pad that is 6 inches tall. Let`s attach your hand to it, by velcro. Now press down firm enough to compress the foam slightly and really work it against the paint.

Now, doing your best Karate Kid 1/ Mr. Myagi, move your hand in a tiny, 1 mm, circle. All of the motion will be absorbed in the height of the foam and the pad will not move against the paint.

Instead of doing tiny 1 inch circles, move your hand in the biggest circle your arm will allow. If you have a 2 foot long arm, this would be a 4 foot orbit. The pad, while it might drag slightly in the first few increase, will move along the paint at the same speed as your arm.

As orbit size increases, pad height becomes less critical as the orbit size takes up the slack created by the extra material.

So with something that has a 12mm throw, I don`t know if you would see much benefit to using a thinner pad. With the full sized Rupes (15 and 21) I much prefer the cushioning provided by the thicker Rupes` pads.

Post Thanks / Like

Let me expand on that answer a little more...

Imagine a pad that is 6 inches tall. Let`s attach your hand to it, by velcro. Now press down firm enough to compress the foam slightly and really work it against the paint.

Now, doing your best Karate Kid 1/ Mr. Myagi, move your hand in a tiny, 1 mm, circle. All of the motion will be absorbed in the height of the foam and the pad will not move against the paint.

Instead of doing tiny 1 inch circles, move your hand in the biggest circle your arm will allow. If you have a 2 foot long arm, this would be a 4 foot orbit. The pad, while it might drag slightly in the first few inches, will move along the paint at the same speed as your arm.

As orbit size increases, pad height becomes less critical as the orbit size takes up the slack created by the extra material.

So with something that has a 12mm throw, I don`t know if you would see much benefit to using a thinner pad. With the full sized Rupes (15 and 21) I much prefer the cushioning provided by the thicker Rupes` pads.
    Berry, Berry good stuff!!

Post Thanks / Like

Berry, Berry good stuff!!
    My pleasure.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch po...

So with something that has a 12mm throw, I don`t know if you would see much benefit to using a thinner pad.
    Just to clarify, there may not be a benefit with a thinner pad with the 12mm throw, but is there a detriment compared to the standard thickness?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VaderGT View Post
    I am going to have to get some of those 3" Rupes MF pads to try
    Are they not 4" pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rsurfer View Post
    Are they not 4" pads.

The face of the pads are about 4".

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch po...

Just to clarify, there may not be a benefit with a thinner pad with the 12mm throw, but is there a detriment compared to the standard thickness?

Maybe a little more of a "grab", but that`s it.

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch po...

Maybe a little more of a "grab", but that`s it.
    Tried the standard thickness hydro`s on the duetto today, and like you said, there`s less wobble and smoother than the 7/8" hydro`s.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rupes vs. Griots Showdown - Rupes Duetto and Mini vs. Griot`s 6 and 3 inch po...

Tried the standard thickness hydro`s on the duetto today, and like you said, there`s less wobble and smoother than the 7/8" hydro`s.

would I lie to you?! geeze...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Todd--any idea when you might be able to post a comparison between the Duetto and the LHR 15 ES?? There`s a 15% off no exclusions sale at AG today and would like to take advantage of it if possible.
    I`d like to see that too^^^^^^^, when you have time.

Post Thanks / Like

If you do the above test, may I make one suggestion on methodology? It would be better if the hood/panel used for testing was damaged consistently across all four quadrants. For example, you could start with a defect free panel, then damage it "evenly" across the entire panel - maybe using 1500 or 2000 grit sandpaper. In some respects, it would be a PITA, but in other respects, you could make a perfect test matrix out of just about any panel you had laying around.

In the Rupes v GG test, if one of the quadrants had more damage than the other three, it would put the device used for that quadrant at a disadvantage.

Just a thought - appreciate that you were nice enough to even do this comparison in the first place.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information