Post Thanks / Like

Correction from a DA drill attachment?

Let me first preface this by admitting that I do not consider myself to be a `professional` as many of you on here are, I don`t really offer paint correction because I still need more experience, but I am working on getting better at what I do each and every time...

So with the black label elite coating kit coming in the mail one thing is certain, I need to get all the swirls out of my black paint before i can even think about coating it. It`s embarassing but I can honestly say until about this time last year I had no idea I was actually hurting my vehicle the way I was washing it. Good thing I know better now. But the damage was already done.

Now as I have yet to purchase a real polisher, correcting my paint could obviously be an issue. I did purchase the megs DA drill attachment a while back to buff my wheels with and I have used it a few times to spread wax or AIO products and have had decent results, but it has never really been put to its full potential until I started going to town last night in my garage.

Using megs105 (worked up from 205 UP and UC but they just didn`t have enough cut power on this drill attachment) I am using the 4 inch burgundy compounding foam pad made for the attachment

I had to put down a decent amount of pressure because of the device im using but I think this has a chance to turn out okay.

Before:

after

i can honestly say that i did not expect this da drill attachment to even be able to do this much, but maybe thats all due to the 105, im not sure.

I have not went over it with 205 and the yellow polishing pad yet but the 105 did leave some random markings here and there which might be due to the pressure I had to put down on the pad. I am hoping the 205 will take them out. I could not get a picture of them but im sure you guys know what im talking about.

anyways i can see this taking much much longer than necessary due to improper equipment but i cant afford a real polisher until probably christmas (probably should have purchased pcxp instead of elite coating kit but hey im a sucker for a good deal)

comments welcome

-Brandt

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Correction from a DA drill attachment?

As Tuscarora Dave used to say, "If it spins it cuts". Looks like your getting good results from it.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow!!! Very cool! How long did it take you to polish that section?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Wow!!! Very cool! How long did it take you to polish that section?
    once i decided on the 105 probably 10-15 minutes (i did one pass with firm pressure and then another with light pressure)-but of course i waterless washed , clayed and baggie tested first- and i only did 1/4 of the trunk lid. lol

i drive a challenger so its not a small car by any means, this could take me all day tomorrow but i`m up for it.

here is a shot of what this attachment did with a yellow polishing pad and xmt360 on my neighbors poorly taken care of corvette

obviously far from 100% but for one pass with something that attaches to a drill and an aio product (xmt360) -i`d say that was pretty decent results

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    As Tuscarora Dave used to say, "If it spins it cuts". Looks like your getting good results from it.
    it has definitely earned a spot in my arsenal, even when i get a real buffer im sure this will come in handy on the small spots, pillars, etc.

its a hook and loop attachment so i have thought about trying to put a 5.5inch pad on there but i know i should just wait until i get a pcxp or something equivalent

i also read on megs forums that this attachment acts like a forced rotation da but im not sure about that.

but you`re right, it spins and it does cut...its just got 4 inch pads! lol so it doesnt cover alot of ground

and the worst thing about it is that it does not have an adjustable power switch, just your finger and pressure on the trigger of the drill

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

not too bad, but i still see a good da in your future. it`s required (and one of every kind of detailing product you can find) if you want to get your Obsessive Compulsive Detailer card.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tropicsteve View Post
    not too bad, but i still see a good da in your future. it`s required (and one of every kind of detailing product you can find) if you want to get your Obsessive Compulsive Detailer card.
    oh i know but all of these % off sales never include buffers so i am waiting until a good package deal

i keep telling santa that i need a buffer but santa is broke.haha

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

In your defense, Vette paint is rock hard. I don`t think that`s bad at all considering the machine, product used, and 1 pass being made.

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome write up! I have this awesome little attachment too. And it does correct paint indeed. I actually whipped out my drill and this one day to clean a tiny scratch, but didn`t want to whip out polishers and pads! However it`s great for headlights with sanding discs or if you use foam for a touch up. Megs 4" spot buff pads fit perfectly on it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleanmycorolla View Post
    Awesome write up! I have this awesome little attachment too. And it does correct paint indeed. I actually whipped out my drill and this one day to clean a tiny scratch, but didn`t want to whip out polishers and pads! However it`s great for headlights with sanding discs or if you use foam for a touch up. Megs 4" spot buff pads fit perfectly on it.
    thanks. id like to turn this into a multipart review since im about to spend some quality time on my paint but we`ll see

i mainly got it for wheels and headlights but it has actually came in pretty handy for light duty polishing,just doesnt cover much ground

im glad i got it because i think that it has been great practice for the full size tools

i just cant decide if i am ready to go straight to rupes and bypass pcxp or griots but that is my ideal plan, just gotta do some work on the plastic card now after all these recent purchases

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    In your defense, Vette paint is rock hard. I don`t think that`s bad at all considering the machine, product used, and 1 pass being made.
    thanks. id say it was my best turnaround byfar but also my first crack at actually correcting or trying to correct paint
    and he got a Smoking deal because i was tired of driving by it everyday the way it looked..to this day,best tip ive recieved after a job by alot.haha

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

The Meg`s DA drill attachment was my first purchase too when I decided to step up to machine polishing from manual/by hand. I also have a Challenger, and it quickly became apparent that the small pads would take much longer than I wanted to spend to do entire body panels, so I stepped up to a regular DA machine with the 7" pads.

However, the Meg`s attachment still serves an important purpose in my tool set - it comes out any time I want to remove some clear coat scratches I find on a body panel that are limited to just one spot, or if I am doing the smaller sections/body panels like the rear bumper, front faschia, or side panels between roof and door windows.

So while it doesn`t get as much use as the regular sized DA, it certainly gets some use each time I go after my car with some polish/swirl remover/etc.

Nuke

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    The Meg`s DA drill attachment was my first purchase too when I decided to step up to machine polishing from manual/by hand. I also have a Challenger, and it quickly became apparent that the small pads would take much longer than I wanted to spend to do entire body panels, so I stepped up to a regular DA machine with the 7" pads.

However, the Meg`s attachment still serves an important purpose in my tool set - it comes out any time I want to remove some clear coat scratches I find on a body panel that are limited to just one spot, or if I am doing the smaller sections/body panels like the rear bumper, front faschia, or side panels between roof and door windows.

So while it doesn`t get as much use as the regular sized DA, it certainly gets some use each time I go after my car with some polish/swirl remover/etc.

Nuke
    i have my eye on the rupes duetto
    top of the wish list

Brandt K.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post

Nuke
    Great feadback, thank you for sharing!

Thread Information