Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna polish for every job....

Since I decided I would help my neighbor`s out with their cars over the coming months, I figured that I needed more polishes than the finishing polishes that I used on my and my families cars.

I really like Menzerna polishes ever since I used SF4500 on my soft black Porsche paint. I was figuring that I would pick up the following polishes:

FG400 Fast Gloss
    SI1500 Super Intensive
    PF2500 Power Finish
    SF4000 Super Finish

I already have SF4500 but really I figured that is only reserved for two steps with very, very soft paint or a jeweling process. I was planning on using my favorite pads, Lake Country HydroTech pads.

I know I can always go the M105/M205 route but sometimes I like DAT polishes over SMAT because I know when they`re fully broken down. I was thinking about SONAX Perfect Finish but the filling ability is making me think twice since I would probably (almost 100%) be applying coatings after. I hate to have a coating fail because of the "super fillers" that many have talked about.

I am open to other suggestions for polishes and compounds, but Menzerna really, at least in my opinion, steps itself apart from the others.

Thank you for all of your feedback and happy detailing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Menzerna polish for every job....

well if fillers got you worried use Opt compound and polishes, apparently there not supposed to have fillers for OC application.

You dont like to IPA wipedown after compounding or polishing?

Even HD polish and HD cut seem to have nice results
    www.facebook.com/Ultimatecardetailingoc Please Like my FB if you like my work

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post
    well if fillers got you worried use Opt compound and polishes, apparently there not supposed to have fillers for OC application.

You dont like to IPA wipedown after compounding or polishing?

Even HD polish and HD cut seem to have nice results
    I do an IPA wipedown or a Panel Wipe after polishing. After my neighbor`s car, I rewashed with a mixture of Chemical Guys Citrus Red and Dawn, dried, and then used GTechniq Panel Wipe before applying GTechniq C1.

I have used Optimum polishes in the past but don`t feel like they are anything special, to be honest, and feel that Menzerna is a much better polish.

I have never used HD polishes or compounds but have heard very good things about them. I feel like they have gotten a bit of a bad rap since they were giving free products in exchange for reviews, but hey, you gotta get your name and product out somehow.

The reason why SONAX Perfect Finish has me worried is I`ve heard that it has "super fillers" that last through multiple decontamination steps and ruin coatings sometimes weeks after application. I read on a different forum some guy had all the swirls removed only to have them reappear three weeks later. That`s not the kind of thing you want to worry about when applying expensive coatings.

Post Thanks / Like

FG400 and SF4000 is an awesome combo, FG400 can be one-stepped on a majority of cars out there. SF4000 provides just enough cut. SF2500 works well and is a classic, it`s a bit dated compared to some of the newer products from Sonax and the like.

One thing I did like HD Polish due to it having much less residual oils during removal. I do think Menzerna can be very oily.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used 105/205 as a combo as well as the Menzerna Line. For me, these 2 systems can get me where I need to be. I do not do this for a living but my winter truck gets pretty beaten up and neglected between seasons and these products have resurected it many a time.

I find that once you know a system it is easier to stick with it. I know what pad with what polish can yield the results I am shooting for. It helps that I know my paint in that I dont think I own and really hard clears so depending on what you own YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
    FG400 and SF4000 is an awesome combo, FG400 can be one-stepped on a majority of cars out there. SF4000 provides just enough cut. SF2500 works well and is a classic, it`s a bit dated compared to some of the newer products from Sonax and the like.

One thing I did like HD Polish due to it having much less residual oils during removal. I do think Menzerna can be very oily.
    Do you think that the "Super Fillers" in SONAX Perfect Finish should be a concern, especially if coatings were going on after? I have looked at Todd`s epic 1-Step Showdown and it seemed that the Perfect Finish`s filling wasn`t too bad, but what I`ve heard is sometimes it takes weeks for all the fillings to come off.

Menz PF2500 always pops up as a classic one-step staple. I`ve never used it but I`m thinking that I should have it in the arsenal where I can pair it with either a tangerine or cyan Hydro-Tech pad depending on the paint hardness.

I appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by radarryan View Post
    Since I decided I would help my neighbor`s out with their cars over the coming months, I figured that I needed more polishes than the finishing polishes that I used on my and my families cars.

I really like Menzerna polishes ever since I used SF4500 on my soft black Porsche paint. I was figuring that I would pick up the following polishes:

FG400 Fast Gloss
    SI1500 Super Intensive
    PF2500 Power Finish
    SF4000 Super Finish

I already have SF4500 but really I figured that is only reserved for two steps with very, very soft paint or a jeweling process. I was planning on using my favorite pads, Lake Country HydroTech pads.

I know I can always go the M105/M205 route but sometimes I like DAT polishes over SMAT because I know when they`re fully broken down. I was thinking about SONAX Perfect Finish but the filling ability is making me think twice since I would probably (almost 100%) be applying coatings after. I hate to have a coating fail because of the "super fillers" that many have talked about.

I am open to other suggestions for polishes and compounds, but Menzerna really, at least in my opinion, steps itself apart from the others.

I have the full range of Menzerna polishes in my garage and think your selections are spot on

Post Thanks / Like

Do you think that the "Super Fillers" in SONAX Perfect Finish should be a concern, especially if coatings were going on after? I have looked at Todd`s epic 1-Step Showdown and it seemed that the Perfect Finish`s filling wasn`t too bad, but what I`ve heard is sometimes it takes weeks for all the fillings to come off.

Menz PF2500 always pops up as a classic one-step staple. I`ve never used it but I`m thinking that I should have it in the arsenal where I can pair it with either a tangerine or cyan Hydro-Tech pad depending on the paint hardness.

I appreciate all the feedback. Keep it coming!
    I think if I were to use Sonax prior to a coating I would definitely want to do a wash followed by an IPA or Eraser wipedown or two. This instead of just going straight to the wipedowns then coating. Although I`d check and see if anyone has used Sonax prior to a coating, I haven`t seen any threads lately of that combo but there may be. I`ll keep an eye out.

Post Thanks / Like

I do an IPA wipedown or a Panel Wipe after polishing. After my neighbor`s car, I rewashed with a mixture of Chemical Guys Citrus Red and Dawn, dried, and then used GTechniq Panel Wipe before applying GTechniq C1.

I have used Optimum polishes in the past but don`t feel like they are anything special, to be honest, and feel that Menzerna is a much better polish.

I have never used HD polishes or compounds but have heard very good things about them. I feel like they have gotten a bit of a bad rap since they were giving free products in exchange for reviews, but hey, you gotta get your name and product out somehow.

The reason why SONAX Perfect Finish has me worried is I`ve heard that it has "super fillers" that last through multiple decontamination steps and ruin coatings sometimes weeks after application. I read on a different forum some guy had all the swirls removed only to have them reappear three weeks later. That`s not the kind of thing you want to worry about when applying expensive coatings.
    (o_0) wow really thats the first time i heard that? i have used PF and used Carpro eraser, Mineral Spirits, and IPA and havent had that issue but i havent coated a car after using PF only waxed or seal

Kinda worries me now that a 70 dollar bottle does that

Post Thanks / Like

From what I`ve gathered from other`s tests, Perfect Finish does in fact have a considerable amount of filling ability, but the fillers are so durable that IPA won`t touch them. It takes something crazy like oven cleaner to remove them completely. I don`t see it as a bad thing if you know going in that it fills. For a 1 step/seal job, it sounds like a good product. However, it wouldn`t be something I would use for coating jobs. If the fillers break down over time, it would probably cause the coating to fail prematurely, leaving you with a very unhappy customer and probably a redo on your part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    From what I`ve gathered from other`s tests, Perfect Finish does in fact have a considerable amount of filling ability, but the fillers are so durable that IPA won`t touch them. It takes something crazy like oven cleaner to remove them completely. I don`t see it as a bad thing if you know going in that it fills. For a 1 step/seal job, it sounds like a good product. However, it wouldn`t be something I would use for coating jobs. If the fillers break down over time, it would probably cause the coating to fail prematurely, leaving you with a very unhappy customer and probably a redo on your part.
    Wow im glad i didnt learn that through experience and had you guys to give me the heads up, that would of looked terrible on my part

Post Thanks / Like

I am a Menz Man too....I have used their polishes for many years and have never failed me...some tweaking with a new product, but once you got that knocked out the results are fantastic....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by psynx View Post
    Wow im glad i didnt learn that through experience and had you guys to give me the heads up, that would of looked terrible on my part
    That`s where all the controversy really stems from when it comes to Perfect Finish. I think everyone can agree its a great product for what it is though. A certain high end "Elitist" is pretty well known for using this on coating jobs and claiming 100% corrections with it, when in fact there was some filling going on. Some folks who don`t like him called him out on it, and long story short, PF got a lot of flack as well.

Post Thanks / Like

FG400 Fast Gloss
    SI1500 Super Intensive
    PF2500 Power Finish
    SF4000 Super Finish

I use menzerna a lot, but still find I need some of the megs stuff. especially for heavy defects

often I`ll go for d300 over menz fg400 (they seem to cut pretty closely IMO). And if that isn`t doing it, I`m a big fan of m100. I don`t even really use 105 anymore. you can get m100 to finish down really well on certain paints

For finishing, I`d stick with menzerna. I like 205 a lot, but if you`re really focused on getting all the gloss I`d reach for pf2500 or sf4000
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have used Menzerna products exclusively on all paints all marques for years and it is proven to be great and very predictable..

Have also just started using Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish 4/6 at mid year, and the over a dozen vehicles I corrected with Rotary Power, have not come back with scratches returning or anything.. None were coated - all received 1 coat of Sonax Polymer Net Shield.

Im not sure how long Sonax Profiline Perfect Finish has been out, but I believe it has been out since sometime in 2012...

I wonder why, if this product is so full of "super fillers", and hundreds of bottles have been sold, around the world, perhaps thousands of bottles, why there are not a corresponding amount of posts talking about how bad this product is for coatings, going back to when it first came out???

Coatings have been out way longer than the product...

Dan F

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information