Post Thanks / Like

Techniques on Finishing

Hey guys,

I have a few questions on polishing techniques when it comes to “finishing.”

I am using a Rupes 21 polisher, but tips for the Flex would also be appreciated.

When doing a single-step polish, I usually make 4 slow passes with light pressure, then follow up with 1 pass using no pressure and a moderate arm speed. Is this the correct technique? I have heard differing opinions.

Also, if I wanted to do a 2nd step with a LC CCS Black or Rupes White Pad to maximize gloss, what should my arm speed be? I have been using light pressure, and doing 2-3 passes at a moderate (to quick) arm speed. Is this the correct technique?

Thanks in advance.

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Techniques on Finishing

OK first thing! High spots are not your friend! Next thing! Just come put in some slave labor at the shop! I`ll teach ya up real good! If you can`t tell I know the critic personally! He helped me out the shop a few times!

Post Thanks / Like

You have likely heard differing opinions because technique is often specific to a particular person as well as the paint and polish combo. While I usually like to reduce pressure and speed for my final pass I have had times when keeping the pressure on has resulted in a better finish.

As long as you are achieving satisfactory results you are on the right path. Getting that extra ~2%-5% improvement just takes a little experimentation. Run a piece of tape and try a different combo or technique and see if you get better results. Even the pros will often try several combinations to determine what will produce the best results.

I think arm speed is often too much a point of contention. The only difference between 3 passes @ 1"/second and 6 passes @ 2"/second is the heat build up. Since the amount of heat created by a DA is usually not enough to have a huge impact on the effectiveness of the polish the results will usually not be significant. Softer paints may vary more.

If you really want to learn more take up Jsmooth on his offer. There is no substitute for hands on experience.

Post Thanks / Like

Just what they said, your technique will vary on the pad, polish combo considering how hard or soft the paint is. One thing you may consider and play around with is the consistency of pressure and rotation of you BP on a dual action polisher. Unlike a rotary polisher which spins on a uniform manner a DA`s rotation is more of irregular or Random as its name implies. By being consistent with you pressure the rotation of your bp will not be so random anymore breaking down and working your polish uniformly in the paint. But again arm speed may vary on the variables mentioned above. Take Jsmooth`s offer, it will be better for you to see how he do it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    OK first thing! High spots are not your friend! Next thing! Just come put in some slave labor at the shop! I`ll teach ya up real good! If you can`t tell I know the critic personally! He helped me out the shop a few times!
    When a guy like Joe, who has his hands on more high end cars in a month than many of us will see in a lifetime offers hands on experience and training in his shop, you take it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. Hanging out with Joe is always a pleasure. I look forward to being a slave in his shop so that he can teach me some new tricks.

Thread Information