Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

pitted acura clearcoat?....

I am trying to remove some light/medium scratches from a 2012 acura.... used both a white and an orange pad with wolfgang total swirl remover

as I am polishing, the scratches are lessening but it is revealing "pitting" in the paint, for lack of a better word

I tried taking pics but they don`t show up.... basically this car sat outside for 2 years, near trees and sap and pollen... I clayed barred the car and the surface before starting the paint correction and the pitting was clearly not as visible then

from a distance it is not visible but up close you can see tiny little pits all over the surface, they cannot be felt with a fingernail or anything.. I worked an area with flex3401 on speed 6 with orange pad and wg tsr, but didn`t do anything to the pits, made the paint shine beautifully but didn`t diminish the pitting

this car has never been paint corrected before, can the pitting be removed? I have a flex 3401, and many cutting pads (cyan/mf) and I also have fg400

thoughts?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pitted acura clearcoat?....

Subscribed, and pictures are always helpful.

Good Luck,

Art

Post Thanks / Like

I have tried taking pics but the pits don`t show up.... they are not deep enough to catch a nail on or anything, cant be felt on the paint but when you shine a light down on them and kneel down towards the cars surface, they are very visible

whats my next step? can they be removed?

I have a cyan and mf cutting pad, I also have fg400.... I don`t want to go more aggressive than I have to

thx

Post Thanks / Like

ok here is a pic..... of you look at the little light bulb, just around it you can see where the paint is slightly distorted, these are the little pits

Post Thanks / Like

not sure, I`ll let others chime in.

Post Thanks / Like

What Acura? I have seen this on the Japaneses made Acs, especially the TSX.
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dd1101 View Post
    What Acura? I have seen this on the Japaneses made Acs, especially the TSX.
    I had a feeling I wasent alone... 2012 rdx

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try another place not near this spot and see if your exact process is bringing the same result. Are you positive that your process is not leaving product stuck to the paintwork??

I cant really tell from the Picture - the metallic particles kind of overwhelm the view. You have what looks like great paint clarity !

I would NOT continue to polish it further.

Have you the ability to measure the paint thickness?

Anytime you correct paintwork and things start appearing in the paintwork that you are absolutely Sure, were not there before, it is time to stop.

Good luck - sorry this had to happen !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I would try another place not near this spot and see if your exact process is bringing the same result. Are you positive that your process is not leaving product stuck to the paintwork??

I cant really tell from the Picture - the metallic particles kind of overwhelm the view. You have what looks like great paint clarity !

I would NOT continue to polish it further.

Have you the ability to measure the paint thickness?

Anytime you correct paintwork and things start appearing in the paintwork that you are absolutely Sure, were not there before, it is time to stop.

Good luck - sorry this had to happen !
    Dan F
    Stok i think i know exactly what hes talking about, if its what i think its normal with almost every car, for example take a look at this video [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OXZkVegz_c]E-Class Mercedes Paint Correction - YouTube[/ame] at 4:15 - 4:30 hes going to show a before and after, and in the after section you could see little dots all over the hood and that is normal, is that what you are talking about?

Post Thanks / Like

I had a acura tl-s anthercite grey metallic - I got it in Raleigh Durham NC and the dealership was right by the airport - the clear coat was pitted from tip to stern on all horizontals. For some reason acura clear coat is hard as hell but melts in acid rain.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by groebuck View Post
    I had a acura tl-s anthercite grey metallic - I got it in Raleigh Durham NC and the dealership was right by the airport - the clear coat was pitted from tip to stern on all horizontals. For some reason acura clear coat is hard as hell but melts in acid rain.

that`s what I have in my clearcoat... any chance of getting it off or just live with it?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m wondering if I am dealing with the same problem as OP. I have a 2013 Toyota Venza and I managed to correct all of the swirls in the hood but am still left with all these little dots that look almost like tiny water spot etchings. I just can`t seem to be able to remove it. Hard to notice but if you catch the hood in direct sunlight at the right angle the hood looks absolutely atrocious. Fortunately the roof isn`t a problem given 90% of it is glass. When I bought the car I noticed that on the sticker they said it was coated with some BS protectant. Didn`t pay much attention to it. I`m wondering if they sealed the car without correcting it and the PC just isn`t giving it enough umph to cut thru it and get to these dots.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
    I`m wondering if I am dealing with the same problem as OP. I have a 2013 Toyota Venza and I managed to correct all of the swirls in the hood but am still left with all these little dots that look almost like tiny water spot etchings. I just can`t seem to be able to remove it. Hard to notice but if you catch the hood in direct sunlight at the right angle the hood looks absolutely atrocious. Fortunately the roof isn`t a problem given 90% of it is glass. When I bought the car I noticed that on the sticker they said it was coated with some BS protectant. Didn`t pay much attention to it. I`m wondering if they sealed the car without correcting it and the PC just isn`t giving it enough umph to cut thru it and get to these dots.
    that is exactly what you are seeing... they are all over this acura but moreso on the hood/roof cause of the flat surfaces

I tried hitting the roof with the flex3401 with orange pad and fg400 and they are not coming off at all, the paint got super hot but the spots remain... again the paint

if there is anything sealing your car, your pc would get thru it, these spots are deeper than our polishers can go, that is why you were able to remove the swirls b/c they were closer to the surface of the clearcoat

I don`t know if I should try a mf cutting pad or a cyan cutting pad, or if I should just give up trying to remove them

somebody else must have seen this issue before?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by miker2012 View Post
    that is exactly what you are seeing... they are all over this acura but moreso on the hood/roof cause of the flat surfaces

I tried hitting the roof with the flex3401 with orange pad and fg400 and they are not coming off at all, the paint got super hot but the spots remain... again the paint

if there is anything sealing your car, your pc would get thru it, these spots are deeper than our polishers can go, that is why you were able to remove the swirls b/c they were closer to the surface of the clearcoat

I don`t know if I should try a mf cutting pad or a cyan cutting pad, or if I should just give up trying to remove them

somebody else must have seen this issue before?
    Its not what i pointed out to you in the video? all those dots on the hood

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mohamedmaark View Post
    Its not what i pointed out to you in the video? all those dots on the hood
    yes looks to be the same pitting in the video.... I wish I knew if they were repairable.... probably repairable with a rotary, which I don`t use

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information