Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: pitted acura clearcoat?....

Quote Originally Posted by miker2012 View Post
    yes looks to be the same pitting in the video.... I wish I knew if they were repairable.... probably repairable with a rotary, which I don`t use

For what i know its veryy common, and is not worth chasing it and removing it because it will remove alot of clear coat. Dont let it bother you

Post Thanks / Like

ok... here is an update, would appreciate any thoughts

I polished the whole car.... the clearcoat is perfect except on the hood and the roof, obviously the damage to the clearcoat is due to all kinds of crap sitting on top of it... the paint on the sides and rear of the vehicle cleaned up immediately w/orange pad and looks amazing

the finish and depth and clarity of the paint on hood and roof is perfect, and the more the paint was polished (with orange pad and wg tsr) the more the damage would show itself, bad etching and pitting in clearcoat

any amount of polishing with orange/cyan pads had no effect with regular swirl removers on the damage... then I stepped up to microfiber cutting pad and fg400.... first time using both products and I was amazed at what they were able to do.... microfiber is obviously far superior to foam and fg400 finished as good as a light polish, I was amazed.... I was pleased with the results, I would say it took away most of the etching and damage but if you shine a direct light on the surface and look from certain angles, there are still spots on the hood that look like this....

can I take these down any more? what can I use? these little spots appear to be right on top of clearcoat but cannot be felt with fingernail or skin... sorry I don`t have a better picture

after I used the mf pad and fg400, I polished with orange and wg tsr... would finishing it down more help?

Post Thanks / Like

i should mention, focus around the lightbulb in the middle of the pic and you will see the light distortion from the damage on the hood... they are difficult to see from above but from an angle in the right light they show up in a few spots

Post Thanks / Like

The reason you are seeing an improvement with the microfiber pads vs. the foam pads is because the microfiber offers an increased level of leveling.

There is more about leveling vs. cut at the bottom of the write up: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...show-down.html

The pitting you have is likely acid rain etching. In order to remove it, you generally have to wet sand (because of the crater-like shape of the defect) or use something with a lot of leveling power. Using foam pads can knock down some of the high spots but ultimately it will require something with more leveling ability. This is why (without specialized pads) you can not buff away orange peel.

The car looks awesome, great job!

Post Thanks / Like

Mine was too deep to repair I had to get it repainted - spent about 1/2 year fighting with Honda until they agreed to repaint.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    The reason you are seeing an improvement with the microfiber pads vs. the foam pads is because the microfiber offers an increased level of leveling.

There is more about leveling vs. cut at the bottom of the write up: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...show-down.html

The pitting you have is likely acid rain etching. In order to remove it, you generally have to wet sand (because of the crater-like shape of the defect) or use something with a lot of leveling power. Using foam pads can knock down some of the high spots but ultimately it will require something with more leveling ability. This is why (without specialized pads) you can not buff away orange peel.

The car looks awesome, great job!
    thx todd

I just watched the showdown u did with the mf pads, very interesting stuff and very informative

I was all turned around about what mf pads were used for, always thought foam was the way to go but now I realize how wrong I was... I am looking to add more mf pads to my collection, I only have the meguires currently... for light work, foam is good but anything else, mf obviously far superior... cant wait to do more testing with mf

the paint does look amazing, I am pleased with the results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information