Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
Todd wrote about wetsanding recently, and when he speaks I listen. I`ve been afraid of it....but with all the right tools - oh well here`s my story:

I bought a new larger spoiler on ebay unpainted and for the first time, my painter returned it to me painted with a less than perfect job with orange peel. Called him and he said a new kid was spraying for him and to bring it back and he`d re- do. Having nothing to lose, I thought I would try wet sanding first to get rid go the peel and an all purpose polish to eliminate the sanding marks.

It worked out so well I am keeping it as is, it is glass now. So here`s the procedure I used:

a flex3403 rotary with a wool/foam hybrid pad , then orbital with white CCS pad
1000 grit wet sandpaper with Duragloss rinselss as QD lube
Menzerna FG400 as the main polish, Menzera SF4500 to finish it off to gloss it.

Literally 10 min of wet sanding, just enuf to make the whole surface matte and the orange peel gone.

Then the rotary with foam pad and FG400 - taking care to watch the edges - on speed 2.5 about 4 - 6 passes

Follow with orbital and white pad - done - these pics are without any wax or sealant at all. The magic , IMO is the foam/wool pad and FG400 - a deadly combo....

The tools

Lotsa Orange peel

after 10 min with FG400 & wet sanding

All done, the gloss/finish of the trunk is now the same, striations in spoiler are the plastic underneath.
Very nice Glen! Glad to see you putting the flex to work!