Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Porter Cable dying out. NEW machine advice!?

Something wrong with the speed variable switch, most likely form over use sure got my $ worth, and now ( lack of use, i`m rusty and love to get back into my hobbies almost forgotten)

So I see there are are new cross breeds between Random Orbital DA Polishers & Rotary Polishers a few for example.. rupes flex

I love to have a car and paint to really learn how to master a rotary unfortunately don`t have that luxury or time right now . From what i gather for paint correction with Forced Rotation DA Polishers, do i even need to go down that road or can these polishers get the job done needed w/o risk or minimizing risk or burn?

After researching i was about to pull the trigger on Rupes , but after reading few post of buyers remorse, comparing it to FLEX i`m leaning that way.
    So what do you all recommend let me give you a little idea of what i will be using it on.

Sorry trying to make this short been a long time since on forum! I thank 4 any all the advice, opinions, from those who have much more experience than I so...
    if answering i don`t think of price , i know +$ does not mean better product but if its better product please let me know

QUESTIONS I KNOW ITS ALOT BUT HAVE A DETAIL that i really COULD USE THE ADVICE thx in advance!)
    1)Need a new polisher what do you recommend for being able to use to restore paint( remove swirls completely, minor scratches?_____

in past have used Merenza polish in 2 stanges, then wolfgang, combo and caranuba.
    2) Need new producs for polish, what do you think works well any real development last 8 years?______________

3) What polishing and finish up pads recommend?___________
    Pads I believe used were Lake country orange 2 stage of Merenza, then used micro white for 2 stage Wolfgang.

I have a friend asking me to help too work on mostly (in order up keep and or sell.)

It his Birthday in a week asking me for favor of full detail of
    2007 e92 bmw metallic dark grey, so 5years of wear and tear.
    (Most of his cars buys and sells are 3-5 years old imports majority Bmw, Audi,.)

I am a good friend but also this could be a possible side business, if things go well.
    So being a rusty old rookie, thank u 4 any and all advice input .Thank you! for reading,
    and help, it is so greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by EUROTECH; 08-07-2013 at 10:57 PM. Reason: redundant

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Porter Cable dying out. NEW machine advice!?

A lot of the vids, and vehicles that I see Mike Phillips correcting, most the time I see a Flex DA in his hands.

I reckon that says it all.

From what`s out there at this point, and if my PC ever dies, I`m quite certain I`ll be buying the Flex.

It of course is a personal choice.

Post Thanks / Like

If you can justify the cost, go for the Rupes hands down. If price is more important, the Griots cant be n beat. The Flex is alright, but if I was gonna spend that much, I would just get the Rupes.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have and use my 2 Rotaries for everything that needs correction and a Flex 3401VRG for some minor stuff using a smaller 5" backing plate and appropriate sized pads.

The Flex is a great machine, but everyone who complains about it mostly has trouble with the fact that it rotates counter-clockwise in a clockwise rotating world.

Me, I just got used to the rotation and it doesn`t bother me a bit.

This Flex has been around about 10 years or so, and I never hear of any problems with it on the few Forums I look at.

Mine has never failed me and I like having it around.

They even made a kit of 2 or 3 smaller backing plates for it awhile back, so you can even get smaller pads on it than the 5.5" or so, that I use with it..

The Griot`s machine is also a good machine for a random orbital, but it frequently breaks and you have to send it back to get a free replacement and stuff... I would not ever want to have to do this, so I choose not to have one of these for that reason alone..

I know that the new machine of the year is the Rupes and that is great since it rotates clockwise so the world is a better place for that..

If you get the Rupes, you might want to see about adding the washer mod to it to allow more rotation, because as we all know, rotation corrects paint better than anything else, right ?

Good luck with your research !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    The Griot`s machine is also a good machine for a random orbital, but it frequently breaks and you have to send it back to get a free replacement and stuff... I would not ever want to have to do this, so I choose not to have one of these for that reason alone..
    You can`t make that general statement without facts to back it up. About a year ago there were a few here and on other forums who were having problems with the Griots DA, but those issues were resolved by Griots excellent customer service. So a few had problems out of the thousands of these DAs sold directly by Griots, Amazon, Autopia, etc etc. IMO its the best of the standard DAs (in the $120-130 range)--has more power than all the others (can`t stop rotation with a 5.5" pad), with MF pads will correct almost anything and it has that lifetime warranty.

To the OP--if you want to understand the Rupes and it`s potential talk to Kevin Brown--you can reach him through his website buffdaddy.com

Post Thanks / Like

I own a Rupes 15 and a griots garage..i also owned a Flex 3401 and hated it and sold it after 2 months. If I was looking to buy a machine the order in what i would buy.
    The rupes is fantastic..Super smooth corrects fast and soo easy to work with. no fighting it one bit when using it

Rupes
    Griots
    Flex

Post Thanks / Like

I have used about all the machines out there except a cyclo . I own 4 different brands of da`s (tool junkie). The Rupes I`m now using is a 21 and I love it. I have both backing plates for it. My Griots , PC and Megs sit on the shelf getting dusty. I was blown away by the results of the 21mm stroke and ease of operation. My next purchase will be the 3" LHR75. Used one that belongs to a friend and it`s the bomb IMO.
    Paul Sparks

Distinctive Auto Detailing

Indianapolis IN 46234

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Distin...70659146390192

Post Thanks / Like

Just my two cents but is a flex or rupes really 3x as good as PC? A new PC is about 130 bucks. Flex and Rupes seem to be in the 350 - 400 price range ??
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

Do your self a favor an get a flex 3401, I have the griot`s both 3 and 6 machine`s. I rarely ever use them. I think the only time I really do is wet sanding, glazing or sealing.

The 3401 make`s mince meat of any regular DA. It`s handle design is awesome, very comfortable and it`s set that way for maximum control. I have plenty of rotaries as well but the flex is the perfect median. For the people who say 350+ LOL, you`ve got to be kidding me. Check the meg`s FS sections or craigslist or EBAY... You can probably find one used for around 250 or less. I`ve seen 3401`s go as low as 230 shipped. Rupes, different story because it`s NEW!

I haven`t tried the rupe`s but let me say this. I`ve heard complaints about them, I`ve had the whole flex line up and all their machine`s perform FLAWLESS under insane work loads. I`ve done some 15+ hour corrections non stop and those motor`s run like a freight train.

Hope this helps!

Oh, 179, Get it!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flex-XC-3401...item4d100a5a9d
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Also note... I`ve bought almost every single polisher used except both my griot`s and my Dodo Juice spin doctor. All my flex`s have run perfect since the day I received them...
    Rupes 21 MK II, Rupes 15 MK II, Rupes 21, Rupes LHR75e, Rupes Duetto, Rupes Ibrid-L, Rupes LH18ENS, Flex PE-14-2, Dodo Juice V1

Quote Originally Posted by rlmccarty2000 View Post
    At $21.99 it will remain a secret to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by groebuck View Post
    Just my two cents but is a flex or rupes really 3x as good as PC? A new PC is about 130 bucks. Flex and Rupes seem to be in the 350 - 400 price range ??
    After watching seven or eight of my friends that are professional detailers sell their Flex 3401`s it caught my attention. I was shocked at the amount of correction the larger stroke was able to do with less passes. So is it 3x better ? Maybe not but 2x`s better , yep easily. I only do 2-3 cars a week average but my life has been easier and when this Rupes dies , another will take it`s place
    Paul Sparks

Indianapolis IN 46234

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
    After watching seven or eight of my friends that are professional detailers sell their Flex 3401`s it caught my attention. I was shocked at the amount of correction the larger stroke was able to do with less passes. So is it 3x better ? Maybe not but 2x`s better , yep easily. I only do 2-3 cars a week average but my life has been easier and when this Rupes dies , another will take it`s place
    I can agree with Paul. When its not just a hobby look at what the pros are using. But be sure to look at what tool they use the most.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
    hmm interesting so is that a vote for flex or rupes?

Post Thanks / Like

Rupes x3. I see a lot more people selling their 3401`s to get a Rupes then the other way around. They are all good machines ( Flex , Griots , Meguiars , Dynabrade , Festool ) and will do the job they were designed for but for me the advantage goes to the Rupes
    Paul Sparks

Indianapolis IN 46234

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    I can agree with Paul. When its not just a hobby look at what the pros are using. But be sure to look at what tool they use the most.
    what if it is just a hobby but you are incredibly lazy?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information