Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flex vs Rupes?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Flex vs Rupes?

Definitely spend some time reading Kevin`s articles on the Rupes as his info will be the most valuable!

I`ve had the LHR21 and the LHR75 for a little over 2 months now and I just received my LHR15 this week. I also owned a Flex 3401 for about 18 months before I sold it off. The Rupes are now my go to tools and my 3 rotary and 7 traditional DA`s polishers pretty much just sit on the bench now...actually I just sold one of the DA`s two weeks go so I`m down to 6.

The LHR21 will correct as fast, if not faster than the Flex IMO and it will do it with less vibration and noise, which means less fatigue on your end. They are very smooth and if you`re a rotary user you will love they ergonomics of it.

On flat panels no reasonable amount of pressure is going to stop the rotation, but it can be stalled on curved panels or by tilting it on its edge...this simply requires and adjustment in your technique. You also don`t need to apply the heavy pressure you do now with traditional DA`s to get good correction.

The Rupes pads are nice, but you don`t have to limit yourself to them if you don`t want to. They have a flared edge so the polishing face is a bit larger in diameter than say LC pads. The velcro grabs like no other too so be sure to grab the backing material when pulling your pads off.

I`m also playing around with the Rupes polishes and so far they seem pretty good, but I`ll need further testing.

Some pics.

My buddy Justin stopped by for a while and tried out the LHR21....I think the expression on his face says it all!

Completing my Rupes trio!

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky--thanks for posting the information regarding the Rupes. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the 21 vs the 15. I just have two cars to take care of and it seems like the 15 would be fine since it`s orbit is almost twice the orbit of the GG DA.

Post Thanks / Like

I am liking the responses and information that everyone is giving!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ski2 View Post
    Rasky--thanks for posting the information regarding the Rupes. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on the 21 vs the 15. I just have two cars to take care of and it seems like the 15 would be fine since it`s orbit is almost twice the orbit of the GG DA.
    After talking with Kevin there are a couple factors that would go into the decision between the two. First off do you have any other machines? Along those lines, do you already have a collection of pads? If you already have a large amount of pads in a certain size that could steer you in the direction of one or the other as well if you already had a machine that could be setup for smaller pads then it would definitely be reccomended to get the 21. Larger pads not only mean more coverage and stability, but you will get longer work time as well because the pads won`t load up as quick. Also note that you can put the 5" backing plate on the larger Rupes but it is roughly $40. This is just the tip of the iceberg when deciding between the two. Since you are specifically only working on 2 cars you`d also want to take into account the contours and shapes of the vehicles. If the are relatively "smooth" then a larger pad would handle them with ease, but if they have alot of contours and sharp body lines the smaller would probably be better suited to your needs. Just my 2c on the subject.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Custom Care View Post
    Also note that you can put the 5" backing plate on the larger Rupes but it is roughly $40.
    After spending the money, the extra size backing plate size should not be a real issue to provide more options especially to reuse existing pads (price of about 4 to 5 pads).

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

My main concern is if i need repair work. THeres no repair place in the US.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 68bowtie View Post
    My main concern is if i need repair work. THeres no repair place in the US.
    It has been mentioned on other forums. Call Kevin Brown for details. There is mention of a repair facility in the US very soon.

Post Thanks / Like

The RUPES is a fantastic tool. Since owning the LHR15, I have shelved my 3401, PE14 and all other tools.

It really allows you to work faster, and with better correcting ability. The best thing I love about it? no more bloody fighting the polisher on lower panels. The machine is so balanced and without a forced rotation, it just glides over the surface. Not having to muscle pressure on it while correcting is another great feature of it.

I have been using Scholls and Menzerna polishes and it works great. However, I am in the process of sourcing the four polishes from RUPES to try as well as I have heard great things about them.

IMHO, it is a no brainer between the 3401 and the RUPES.
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I have my own mental battle with this right now, except between the GG 6" and the Rupes. I thought I was a genious my selling off my Makita and consolidating down to the Griots, given how much you can do with it given the right pads and polish. 1, I miss the rotary a bit, just the feel and ergonomics. 2, I have some work coming up that the Griots flat out probably can`t handle. Do I buy a new rotary and keep my griots? Or do I sell my basically new Griots and get the Rupes and have a fair compromise orbital power and rotary power.

I recognize that the Rupes is an orbital, just like my Griots, but I wonder if it can tackle what I need given its an oribital on roids. This would be some decent wetsanding for some key scratches on my fiance`s hood. I`ve received great advice so far from a few detailers, but I still go back and forth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chas View Post
    I have my own mental battle with this right now, except between the GG 6" and the Rupes. I thought I was a genious my selling off my Makita and consolidating down to the Griots, given how much you can do with it given the right pads and polish. 1, I miss the rotary a bit, just the feel and ergonomics. 2, I have some work coming up that the Griots flat out probably can`t handle. Do I buy a new rotary and keep my griots? Or do I sell my basically new Griots and get the Rupes and have a fair compromise orbital power and rotary power.

I recognize that the Rupes is an orbital, just like my Griots, but I wonder if it can tackle what I need given its an oribital on roids. This would be some decent wetsanding for some key scratches on my fiance`s hood. I`ve received great advice so far from a few detailers, but I still go back and forth.
    I think there will always be a need for a rotary. Mine may not get used very often now but I would never want to be without them. The Rupes may be my go to tool now, but there are always going to be those times where the rotary is the better tool for the job, like removing sanding marks from the edge of panels and tight areas where the offset of a DA could cause damage to surrounding painted parts...

I know that may not answer your question but hopefully it helps.

Post Thanks / Like

Rasky, that definitely helps. I guess because I am a weekend warrior, when I sold my Makita I was going through a phase where I was questionning if I REALLY needed it and decided I didn`t. Having been without it has made me appreciate how much I actually do need it even as a guy who details at that level pretty sparcely. You are definitely right on all points regarding the need for a rotary in situations where the DA just isnt right. Maybe its just excitement of the Rupes being a new and powerful tool that makes me consider getting that and going without a rotary.

Post Thanks / Like

I too sold my Makita years ago, got a DeWalt though, old version, yeah its a tank but I love it. There`s nothing better on boats or old single stage paint.

a.k.a. Troy@DetailCity Troy@Protekt's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    The Rupes may be my go to tool now...
    I haven`t tried the Rupes yet but I am surprised so many of the respected pros are choosing it over the FLEX.

On paper the Flex seems to have the advantage with the more powerful motor and the forced rotation. I am on the fence of replacing my FLEX that I used to have or going with the Rupes. Looks like I might have to make the trip over to Detail Fest to try one out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ArmstrongDetailing View Post
    I haven`t tried the Rupes yet but I am surprised so many of the respected pros are choosing it over the FLEX.

On paper the Flex seems to have the advantage with the more powerful motor and the forced rotation. I am on the fence of replacing my FLEX that I used to have or going with the Rupes. Looks like I might have to make the trip over to Detail Fest to try one out.
    It seems the Rupes does not need the power or forced rotation because of the large orbit. Kevin Brown has a detailed explanation on Buffdaddy and you can call him with questions.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information