Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Game Changing Performance: CarPro Denim Orange Peel Pad Review

Quote Originally Posted by golden1 View Post
    what about the really tight spaces ?
    there are 80mm and 100mm diameter denim pads as well, for tight spaces.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    CarPro recommends using these pads with a rotary style polisher and I can see why. I would assume the planning ability (created by fast rotation) is necessary to level the paint.

I will play with these on a da when the opportunity allows and report back when I find. If you are novice I wouldn`t recommend these.
    Thanks Todd, I appreciate your response, and admire your ability. See you at detail fest!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vetteman8607 View Post
    Thanks Todd, I appreciate your response, and admire your ability. See you at detail fest!
    I never saw this post. I don`t remember if we met?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review, Todd!

I`ve been watching these pads for quite a while now and have been waiting for a few more people I trust to try them before I give them a shot. My concerns from day one were panel temps and how they handle highly contoured panels.

You`ve already commented on the panel temps, which are a bit high, but how do you feel they handle highly curved panels?

Do you see yourself using these over sanding on a high end restoration?

Thanks,
    Rasky

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RaskyR1 View Post
    Thanks for the review, Todd!
    Thanks Chad!

I`ve been watching these pads for quite a while now and have been waiting for a few more people I trust to try them before I give them a shot. My concerns from day one were panel temps and how they handle highly contoured panels.

You`ve already commented on the panel temps, which are a bit high, but how do you feel they handle highly curved panels?
    The panel temps get warm, but honestly nothing I would concern myself with or nothing any experienced rotary user should fear. The key word is, of course, experienced. I could see panel temps getting very high on plastic/composite body panels if somebody who is less experienced doesn`t understand the difference in heat dissipation.

That said, these pads should only be used by experienced users anyways and are marketed as such.

As far as curvy panels, its a crap shoot. They work well on convex panels with the understanding that the usable polishing areas is the only area where pad contact is occurring. For concave surfaces you will better off with sand paper.

Do you see yourself using these over sanding on a high end restoration?

Thanks,
    Rasky

They have some benefit on certain types of work depending on the condition of the paint. With the Ferrari 330 linked below, I used them as a compounding pad because I was able to flatten some areas of excessive orange people (without over flattening the paint). It was great to truly amp up the gloss without requiring additional steps.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...bor-hours.html

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

These pads work amazingly well for defect removal with out flattening out paint if you use them with a softer backing plate. I use them all the time in this fashion.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmooth View Post
    These pads work amazingly well for defect removal with out flattening out paint if you use them with a softer backing plate. I use them all the time in this fashion.
    Just like sandpaper, it really does come down to the backing plate for leveling ability. Great to here!

Post Thanks / Like

Had a chance to use these again recently, amazing!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for keeping us apprised! Would you still say that Menzerna FG400 is your go-to when using these pads? (FG400 is the go-to for everything!) Did you find anything else now a year later that you wished you would have known during your first attempt?

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Todd, nice job on the orange peel removal. I also have a mazda3 hatchback that was repainted on the drivers side. My hood was also repainted. They were nice to wet sand my hood but left my drivers side with orange peel that looks about like yours did.

How did the denim pad work on the profiles of the front fender? That is where my orange peel is the worst.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RacerScott View Post
    Hi Todd, nice job on the orange peel removal. I also have a mazda3 hatchback that was repainted on the drivers side. My hood was also repainted. They were nice to wet sand my hood but left my drivers side with orange peel that looks about like yours did.

How did the denim pad work on the profiles of the front fender? That is where my orange peel is the worst.

They worked well, although, once I get my beater car fixed, I need to sit down and finish the rest of the car and give a true Wet-Ice over Fire shine.

Post Thanks / Like

I don`t know how I missed this thread. I`ve used these pads on several projects and love them. Well, I love the denim pads..not so much the velvet. Ive never been able to get the velvet pads to do anything significant, but the denim is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclean81 View Post
    I don`t know how I missed this thread. I`ve used these pads on several projects and love them. Well, I love the denim pads..not so much the velvet. Ive never been able to get the velvet pads to do anything significant, but the denim is awesome.
    The velvet are "Safe" for thin, factory-applied paints... For the heavy-duty work, I would definitely go with the denim!

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, why are velvet pads only available in 5.25"? I`m getting ready to start this on my cr and ordered several 5.25" denim and velvet but I could only get 3" pads in denim?

Post Thanks / Like

Todd thank you so much for this review, this was the one product that has been on my mind for about a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    Truly interesting Todd. I think people
    Need to realize a little experience can go a long way. Great product but anyone should be aware this is truly removing material at a rapid rate. Proceed with caution. I myself like what I see.

I agree, I`m going to post up some results after this series of tests. One of my buddies who owns a high end body shop recently got into the detailing way of doing things, since I showed him the light he has been helping me out by giving me free test panels from tons of various cars.

I`m going to do some burn through tests on various oem and after market clears with the pe coupled with both pads along fg,pg an hd uno. I will also be posting depth readings of before, during (how fast) an lastly the final burn read. We always talk about the point of no return but it would be nice to actually go there (while being risk free of course).

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information