Post Thanks / Like

Suggestions for black cars with thick paint

So recently as boating season has wound down here in NY ive been doing some cars until boat show season starts again next month.

I have had three black BMWs all 2012 and have had a tough time eating into the paint to get the swirls out, most are just from the cars being sent through car washes. I have tried M105, M205, 3m Finesse it with my griots and makita with meguiars red foam pads cant seem to take it where I want to.

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Suggestions for black cars with thick paint

For ceramic clear, try Europe line of compounds....Scholls, Mezerna or M101 (developed in Europe). Maybe wool might be required.

Meg`s MF should work good.

Post Thanks / Like

By any chance are these Jet Black BMWs? If so.. that color is one of the hardest colors to get corrected perfectly. It is very soft unlike most other BMW paints and very hard to finish properly. It can be a proper nightmare.

Here is what I use.

A good polish for foam pads. Do not use wool on this color unless you hate life

For a heavily swirled finish, I prefer a Lake country cyan hydro tech pad and polish it with a good foam pad polish (I use Scholl`s S3 Gold) but Meguiars M101 or the new Menzerna FG400 will do great.

For light swirls, you could use something like a hydro tech tangerine pad and a lighter polish like Menzerna PF2500

This will get the finish down nicely with very little marks left. Next is to hit it with a soft black / gray pad and something like Menzerna PO85RD (SF4500). this will get it looking crystal and ready for its LSP.

Be very careful after correcting this color. If you look at it wrong it will get marks on it, so take extreme care and good luck!
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L&I Detailing View Post
    So recently as boating season has wound down here in NY ive been doing some cars until boat show season starts again next month.

I have had three black BMWs all 2012 and have had a tough time eating into the paint to get the swirls out, most are just from the cars being sent through car washes. I have tried M105, M205, 3m Finesse it with my griots and makita with meguiars red foam pads cant seem to take it where I want to.

Any suggestions?
    If you want to sample something before buying a whole bottle, I have some of the suggestions mentioned above on hand. Including m101 and fg400 (not tried either yet). d300 and menz SIP also come to mind
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by L&I Detailing View Post

Any suggestions?
    Are these jet black or metalic black? JB BMW = soft paint pull your hair out. But given you went 105/205/finesse I`m thinking its probably Saphire black(metalic). Red soft buff pad are really aggressive and feel very out dated to me especially if your using the big one(like for boats!). Try getting a smaller one with a smaller backing plate and I`m guessing you don`t have time to order products and pads to try so...... Locally you probaly can get the megs smalled pad, They work really well on rotary. Follow it up with 205 on your GG with a mirror glaze white(tannish pad) or an MF cutting disk. If you use the cutting disc you`ll probably have one more step to get it flawless but either of those should knock down the buffer haze and swirls with your DA. Just throwing all that out there with stuff you probable can get locally. Hope it helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the help so far. Theyre are jet black, no metallic flakes in it.

I may give the fg400 a try been reading a lot of good things about it of the m101 and have been meaning to pick up a medley of LC pads just havent had time to order them yet. Its just frustrating to try so many different methods without something that you love.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a jet black bimmer and i`ve always had success with a green polishing pad and menzerna power finish.

Post Thanks / Like

Look up some of my older posts, they will give you some tips
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Thread Information