Post Thanks / Like

Advice on Polishes and Pads

I`m new to the forum and this is my first question. I have 2 cars to detail a white Volvo xc70 and a Toyota Camry in the ubiquitous silver/gray color.
    Neither car has been detailed for about a decade(that`s another unrelated story)

I have on hand Menzerna`s Power Gloss and Intensive polish. So my first question is given the lack of attention the cars have had do I need another polish to follow these two? I have enough of both products left to do the cars so I figure I might as well use them.

Both cars have been clayed which has already helped their appearance. The Volvo has areas around the windshield that are dark;the paint just looks dirty.Rubbing a small amount of one of the polishes cleaned the paint.
    The wagon also has more obvious scratches on the roof from where I had to apply duct tape for plastic when the sunroof glass was broken. In addition there are minor surface scratches all over

The Camry has surface scratches all over;nothing really major aside from the bumper.I probably should take pictures of that to submit.I have an idea after I finish the detailing this car may benefit from me repainting the bumper.

And my second question is what pads should buy for my Porter Cable 7427.Have never used so am not quite sure what to buy.

Thanks for any advice

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advice on Polishes and Pads

You may need to switch to a more aggressive compound to remove some of the deeper scratches, but its always a good ideal to start from least aggressive to most when figuring out which compound works. Check out these, good company and solid pads from what I have heard Lake Country Buffing Pads

Post Thanks / Like

Menzerna Power Gloss and Intensive Polish are a good one two.
    The Intensive Polish can finish out nicely depending on the pad you use. If you are using PG with an orange pad, then following up with IP on a white pad would do a good job of cleaning up the paint after the PG, then knock the speed and pressure down for a few passes and it will leave a nice shine. You could follow up with a third polish and even softer pad if you really wanted to amp up the gloss level.

If you are looking for foam pads, the Lake country CCS and Hydro tech pads are both great options.

The Hydro Tech are nice as , in your case, you would use the Cyan for compounding with PG then follow up with a tangerine for finishing with the IP.

This method would leave you with a last step product ready finish!
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend going with the Lake Country Hydro-Tech Pads. They are available in 5.5 inch and 6.5 inch sizes (and smaller 4 inch spot buff sizes) depending on your backing plate. If you don`t have a backing plate already, then I would get a 5 inch backing plate and go with the 5.5 inch pads.

As far as the polish, I would recommend following IP2000 with SF4000 for the best gloss and finish.

Lake Country Cyan HydroTech Pad= Menzerna PG1000

Lake Country Tangerine HydroTech Pad= Menzerna IP2000

Lake Country Crimson HydroTech Pad= Menzerna SF4000

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the helpful replies! Health problems prevented me from responding and doing the car detailing.Anyway I`m better now and want to get back to this.
    I did check what came with the buffer and there`s no plate so I will get a 5" one along with the 5.5 pads.
    The other question I have is how do I take care of the pads.

Thanks again!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerZCah View Post
    Thanks for the helpful replies! Health problems prevented me from responding and doing the car detailing.Anyway I`m better now and want to get back to this.
    I did check what came with the buffer and there`s no plate so I will get a 5" one along with the 5.5 pads.
    The other question I have is how do I take care of the pads.

Thanks again!
    Glad to hear you are doing better and getting ready to give it a shot.

For pad care, I believe it is better to clean the pads immediately after use. Because of this I like to use a dedicated pad cleaner, such as BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner. Simply spray on the soiled pad (scrub if needed with a pad brush), rinse with water, and spin dry.

After you spin you pads dry set them face down and let them completely dry. Always store the pads face down to let water drain away from the hook and loop to prevent delamination in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Glad to hear you are doing better and getting ready to give it a shot.

For pad care, I believe it is better to clean the pads immediately after use. Because of this I like to use a dedicated pad cleaner, such as BLACKFIRE Advanced Pad Cleaner. Simply spray on the soiled pad (scrub if needed with a pad brush), rinse with water, and spin dry.

After you spin you pads dry set them face down and let them completely dry. Always store the pads face down to let water drain away from the hook and loop to prevent delamination in the future.
    Spoke too soon. Haven`t been able to get to this project but will be in 2 weeks. The above posts have been very helpful and I have questions about the final coat and pads to use.Can I post that as part of this thread or go to other section?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JerZCah View Post
    Spoke too soon. Haven`t been able to get to this project but will be in 2 weeks. The above posts have been very helpful and I have questions about the final coat and pads to use.Can I post that as part of this thread or go to other section?
    Either one will work.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Either one will work.
    Great want to get going on this especially with the sale.
    First I have on hand Klasse All In One and Pinnacle Carnuba.Are these good for these cars?Btw since I started the post we now have a third car a black Toyota Camry.
    Was thinking of carnuba on volvo and Klasse on the camrys but not sure.Please advise.If I use these what pads am I to use.
    thanks

Thread Information