Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your favorite polishing pads and why?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Using any pad on a DA polisher is going to wear it out much faster than if it was used on a rotary. The constant change of direction (stretching/tightening/general flexation) of the paint will wear it much much faster. That said, I would say I usually get 30-40 cars per pad (changing pads 3-4 times). I would also recommending washing the pads immediately after use.

The white hybrid pads may feel softer/are they still working well?
    I would say yes Todd but at something less then 100%. I`m guessing but perhaps 75% of what it did when new. The more aggressive pads seem to last longer whereas the white pad really does morph into something mushy, which to me indicated that it was trashed. The density completely changed from something very firm when new to something a little firmer then a HT crimson pad. So soft IMO.

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a need to have both Lake Country Flat Pads and Lake Country Hydrotech pads when using a d/a like Griots Garage GG6?
    For example LC Flat Pads 5.5" (orange,white, black,blue) and LC HT 5.5" pads (Cyan, Tangerine, Crimson)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by silvermesa View Post
    Is there a need to have both Lake Country Flat Pads and Lake Country Hydrotech pads when using a d/a like Griots Garage GG6?
    For example LC Flat Pads 5.5" (orange,white, black,blue) and LC HT 5.5" pads (Cyan, Tangerine, Crimson)

You can easily only have 1 type of pad. If you like a certain style then stick with what works. I have both types and have uses for each. I find the standard flat pads are more durable than the hydrotechs but that the hydros tend to cut and finish a little better for me. Also depending on what I am working on one pad may do better than another.

At the end of the day if you are a hobbyist and don`t want to spend all of the money to have pads in all of the colors and quantities needed, you can`t really go wrong in picking just one type and sticking with it.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Todd,

Does the HT Tang pad have as much cut as the Hybrid Blue?

Post Thanks / Like

Random Orbital Heavy Correction = meg`s or optimum 5.5" MF cutting discs

Random Orbital Moderate/Polishing = 5.5" low profile hydro tech tangerine pad

Random Orbital Finishing = 5.5" low profile hydro tech crimson pad

Flex 3401 moderate/polishing = 6.5" Hydro Tech Tangerine pads

Flex 3401 finishing = 6.5" Hydro Tech Crimson pads

Still trying to find a heavy correction pad for the 3401 that cuts and finishes as well as a MF cutting disc on a random orbital.

Post Thanks / Like

Since the Flex is technically a DA polisher, can`t you use the MF disc? I don`t see too many using it...and @SSizzlin`...you`re searching for a heavy correction pad for the Flex.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by firebird View Post
    Since the Flex is technically a DA polisher, can`t you use the MF disc? I don`t see too many using it...and @SSizzlin`...you`re searching for a heavy correction pad for the Flex.
    Apparently the forced rotation of the Flex doesn`t play too well with the MF pads.
    Francis

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by umi000 View Post
    Apparently the forced rotation of the Flex doesn`t play too well with the MF pads.
    I wonder if the statement would be that they do not work well with a Flex using the same procedure as a non-forced DA. I thought someone said the Optimum mf pads worked better on a Flex than Meg`s but have do not know if there was much evidence presented.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

I really haven`t found a "go to" combo with my Flex 3401 either. Tried Megs, Optimum and LC Ultra MF pads and still get better results with my GG6 & PCXP. Not sure the forced rotation matches my style of machine polishing.

Post Thanks / Like

LC hybrid orange offers the most cut

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    I really haven`t found a "go to" combo with my Flex 3401 either. Tried Megs, Optimum and LC Ultra MF pads and still get better results with my GG6 & PCXP. Nor sure the forced rotation matches my style of machine polishing.

I am finding that I don`t like polishing with my Flex 3401 as mush as my PcXP. I can, and it finishes fine but I think the PcXp just does it a little better.

For me there the Flex 3401 excels is in cutting / compounding. The 3401 with LC PFW is great for faster cutting. Also I find the 3401 cuts better than a standard DA when using Yellow or Orange cutting pads.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mjlinane View Post
    I really haven`t found a "go to" combo with my Flex 3401 either. Tried Megs, Optimum and LC Ultra MF pads and still get better results with my GG6 & PCXP.
    Absolutely agree 150%.

Which MF pads do you like the best?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

For me there the Flex 3401 excels is in cutting / compounding. The 3401 with LC PFW is great for faster cutting. Also I find the 3401 cuts better than a standard DA when using Yellow or Orange cutting pads.

I will definitely agree that foam pads cut better when using the 3401 compared to a standard DA, BUT, there is no foam pad that will cut AND finish as good on a MF pad using a standard DA, hence, my search for a heavy correction pad with the 3401. I`ll give the LC hybrid wool pad a shot, but I have a feeling it will finish horribly.

Post Thanks / Like

So far, for cutting: Megs cutting MF - hands down. They are what I reach for most. Think LC`s Ultra Fiber finish slightly better.

Note - I rediscovered Surbuf pads on my GG6 a couple of details back and loved it again. Looking forward to using them on they new guys next week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin` View Post
    I will definitely agree that foam pads cut better when using the 3401 compared to a standard DA, BUT, there is no foam pad that will cut AND finish as good on a MF pad using a standard DA, hence, my search for a heavy correction pad with the 3401. I`ll give the LC hybrid wool pad a shot, but I have a feeling it will finish horribly.
    I would "like" this if I could.

Of course, as soon as I post this, I can. Oh well....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information