Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Your favorite polishing pads and why?

My pad selection is fairly limited as I don`t have the business to afford to buy all the different trips of pads. So i have what works for me and continue to use them. Once they wear out I begin to upgrade to newer and current offerings.

Random Orbital Dual Action Polishers (Porter Cable 7424 XP)

Heavy Correction: Meg`s 5 inch MF cutting discs,
    Moderate Correction: LC 5.5 Orange, LC 5.5 Cyan
    Polishing/Finishing: LC 5.5 White, LC 5.5 Tang
    Pure Finishing: LC 5.5 Crimson

Forced Rotation Style Dual-Action Polishers (FLEX 3401)

Heavy Correction: LC PFW
    Moderate Correction: LC 5.5 Orange
    Polishing: LC 5.5 White

Rotary Polishers (FLEX PE)

Heavy Correction: LC PFW
    Moderate Correction: LC 5.5 Orange, LC 5.5 Cyan
    Polishing: LC 5.5 White, LC 5.5 Tang
    Finishing: LC 5.5 Crimson

Likes j_dailey liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    when u guys say finishing pad...what exactly does that do for the paint

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
    when u guys say finishing pad...what exactly does that do for the paint

A finishing pad has less "cut" than a polishing pad. This allows you to refine the finish on the surface even better.

This is really most evident on Black. The smoother and more refined the finish the better and sharper the reflections will be.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post

A finishing pad has less "cut" than a polishing pad. This allows you to refine the finish on the surface even better.

This is really most evident on Black. The smoother and ore refined the finish the better and sharper the reflections will.
    thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Flex 3401
    I tend to use Uber Green polishing over the LC white. For some reason, I just do not like the LC white feel

UDM 1.0 DA
    LC Black or Uber Blue - paint cleaners
    LC blue - wax spreader

Todd, I noticed ACC does not have any Hybrid pad bundles (like 3 or 6).

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Old thread but had to chime in. My favorite pad of all time with ANY machine would have to be ------

Sonus Yellow 6 inch.

Hands down the best all around pad ever made. Heavy cut, medium cut and can even finish with the best of them. I had to buy a case of them the last time because no one sells them anymore.

Todd I found them in Florida the last time but can`t remember where. Do you have an "in" with these pads somewhere? I see the other Sonus products being pretty strong with all detail suppliers but the pads aren`t available. How come?

Post Thanks / Like

FOAM: Hex Logic for me...most "efficient" foam pad in my opinion ...and made in USA.

MF: Lake Country MF buffing pads. Finish down really nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fergnation View Post
    Old thread but had to chime in. My favorite pad of all time with ANY machine would have to be ------

Sonus Yellow 6 inch.

Hands down the best all around pad ever made. Heavy cut, medium cut and can even finish with the best of them. I had to buy a case of them the last time because no one sells them anymore.

Todd I found them in Florida the last time but can`t remember where. Do you have an "in" with these pads somewhere? I see the other Sonus products being pretty strong with all detail suppliers but the pads aren`t available. How come?
    I`m not sure where to source these pads anymore, sorry.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to bump an older thread, but I was just curious. Ive seen a few instructional videos and some even a video from a detailer over the MF pads and they all seem to say that using the MF will help you eliminate the cuts you get from a using a compound/polish and foam pad. Although it might take a bit longer from what I took from the videos the MF pads can give you the same results without having to use both a polishing and finishing foam pad.

I think with my car (2012 KIA Soul) with the soft silver paint job a MF pad would work perfect for a noob like myself. It looked like there would be less room for error, am I wrong to assume that?

Post Thanks / Like

no edge love here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Forced Rotation Style Dual-Action Polishers (FLEX 3401 and Makita Two-Mode BO6040)

Heavy Correction: Lake Hybrid Wool Pad (similar to purple foam wool) or Lake Country Hybrid Hybrid Orange Heavy Cutting Pad
    Moderate Correction: Lake Country Hybrid Blue Power Finish Pad
    Polishing/Finishing: Lake Country Hybrid White Power Finish Pad
    Pure Finishing: Lake Country Hybrid Black Finishing Pad
    Ready to pull the trigger on a Flex 3401 but have a few pad questions. First off, I plan on ordering an assortment of the 5" hybrid pads with the LC interchangable bp system. But I have a large collection of LC HT 5.5" pads (for use on my 7424xp) that I want to be able to use with the Flex. If that isn`t advisible, then it makes my decision to buy the Flex suspect. And I`m not sure I want to transition to the HT 6.5" pads for the Flex to gain the in-between steps.

And from what I`ve gleened from the forum, I need the HT pads to really "fill in" the gaps in the hybrid system, especially if the meat and potatoes of what I do is working on good paint. All of the hybrid pads are more aggressive then the HT Tangerine, which is the max required on my personal cars. And as quoted above, I`m surprised to see that Todd uses the hybrid white for finishing considering it`s more aggressive then the HT Tangerine-perhaps it`s the foam composition and in fact will finish down better then the HT tangerine. I`m really confused on this point.

There only solution I can see would be to use the 4 3/8" bp with the LC HT 5.5" pads - but not sure if that should be avoided and only use the hybrid pads? Sorry, but I can`t seem to sort this out.

Post Thanks / Like

Well since my last post I`ve purchased the Flex 3401 (and it`s all good) and decided on the 5" LC hybrid pad system! But here`s a question I can`t seem to find an answer to. In terms of pad longevity, how many cars would you guesstimate that a pad would/should last - let`s just talk about pads used for compounding & polishing, not those used for applying the LSP? It seems that I can do two cars (with a thorough cleaning in between of course) but then the pad is trash. By the end of the second car, the white hybrid pad I was using had lost it`s density and was very soft compared to when it was new. What seems to be "normal" for you guys?

Post Thanks / Like

well if i can i ask if anyone can add to this i just started using da micro pads i have only been using rotary buffer couple yrs i feel i have been very proficient with its use i like only the 3m line prefect-it pads but i have been using da micro pads on some hard paint lately that did not seam to cut well but in trial and error i learned less speed and less compound seam to cut better and when i say less compound i mean almost to the point of dry buff why does that seam to be the case and in doing so will give me a mirror shine with just compound. oh and this is on black paint also

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    Well since my last post I`ve purchased the Flex 3401 (and it`s all good) and decided on the 5" LC hybrid pad system! But here`s a question I can`t seem to find an answer to. In terms of pad longevity, how many cars would you guesstimate that a pad would/should last - let`s just talk about pads used for compounding & polishing, not those used for applying the LSP? It seems that I can do two cars (with a thorough cleaning in between of course) but then the pad is trash. By the end of the second car, the white hybrid pad I was using had lost it`s density and was very soft compared to when it was new. What seems to be "normal" for you guys?
    Using any pad on a DA polisher is going to wear it out much faster than if it was used on a rotary. The constant change of direction (stretching/tightening/general flexation) of the paint will wear it much much faster. That said, I would say I usually get 30-40 cars per pad (changing pads 3-4 times). I would also recommending washing the pads immediately after use.

The white hybrid pads may feel softer/are they still working well?

Post Thanks / Like

Heavy Correction: Meguiar`s 5 inch cutting discs
    Moderate Correction: Lake Country Cyan Hydrotech
    Polishing/Finishing: Lake Country 5.5 inch Green Pad
    Pure Finishing: Lake Country Red CCS or Blue Flat
    2014 Acura TL SH-AWD Tech
    2014 Acura MDX

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information