Post Thanks / Like

Calling Todd....I have a ?

I wonder how you decide, given the fact that you have everything in your warehouse to choose from. How do you decide to grab the Flex, Griot`s or PC Da`s. Lets leave the rotarys out for now. But among the DA`s whats your thinking and preference ?

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Calling Todd....I have a ?

you forgot the makita one, I`m sure he has that one too lol

Post Thanks / Like

How long of an answer would you like?

Post Thanks / Like

Okay here is the medium answer....

I wonder how you decide, given the fact that you have everything in your warehouse to choose from. How do you decide to grab the Flex, Griot`s or PC Da`s. Lets leave the rotarys out for now. But among the DA`s whats your thinking and preference ?
    This is kind of a difficult question to answer because sometimes, as somebody who has been detailing for a long enough time, I understand that paint correction is an art form. On AutopiaForums I try to stick to the science and procedure of it all because it is very easy to understand. But...

Part of my detailing is to go on feel. I may grab for a particular tool because I feel that action of that machine is going to give me a desired result on a particular paint system. It is the blend of art and science...

That said.... (lots of .... in this answer)....

I am very much a Random Orbital (Porter Cable 7424, Griot`s Garage, Meguiar`s G110v2) kind of guy. While these machines have a reputation for being `easy for a beginners` I am glad they have shed the notion that they are under-powered.

Random Orbital Polishers produce good results for new users and have the highest safety margin. However, it takes knowledge, understanding, and experience to get the most from these machines. When used at their full potential I personally believe they are as capable as any machine.

Forced Rotation DA Polishers deliver great, professional-like results to the beginning user the first time out while still being paint safe. For most users, who don`t have the time or nor the inclination to learn to take their Random Orbital DA Polishing to the highest level, the FLEX (forced rotation) is going to deliver maximum results right off the bat.

Between the different styles of Random Orbital Polishers (Meguiars, PC, Griot`s) they all have different strengths. It is much like having a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, and a Bentley in the garage. No wrong answer, it is a matter of what do you want to drive today.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Okay here is the medium answer....

This is kind of a difficult question to answer because sometimes, as somebody who has been detailing for a long enough time, I understand that paint correction is an art form. On AutopiaForums I try to stick to the science and procedure of it all because it is very easy to understand. But...

Part of my detailing is to go on feel. I may grab for a particular tool because I feel that action of that machine is going to give me a desired result on a particular paint system. It is the blend of art and science...

That said.... (lots of .... in this answer)....

I am very much a Random Orbital (Porter Cable 7424, Griot`s Garage, Meguiar`s G110v2) kind of guy. While these machines have a reputation for being `easy for a beginners` I am glad they have shed the notion that they are under-powered.

Random Orbital Polishers produce good results for new users and have the highest safety margin. However, it takes knowledge, understanding, and experience to get the most from these machines. When used at their full potential I personally believe they are as capable as any machine.

Forced Rotation DA Polishers deliver great, professional-like results to the beginning user the first time out while still being paint safe. For most users, who don`t have the time or nor the inclination to learn to take their Random Orbital DA Polishing to the highest level, the FLEX (forced rotation) is going to deliver maximum results right off the bat.

Between the different styles of Random Orbital Polishers (Meguiars, PC, Griot`s) they all have different strengths. It is much like having a Ferrari, a Lamborghini, and a Bentley in the garage. No wrong answer, it is a matter of what do you want to drive today.

Thanks for the answer, and I know that all of these machines in the right hands can "do the job"

Post Thanks / Like

A very insightful answer that I wish I had read prior to buying my PC. Not positive I would have made a change, but...Todd`s answer is one of the best I`ve read. +1

With that said, I also believe it`s more a matter of the operator then the machine. With the right technique, compound/polish, and pad combination (did I say technique?) the average person can do a great job - I`m proof of that. Take that a couple of notches up the scale and you can get amazing - ala Mr. Helme and other forum members; regardless which machine they are using. But amazing is pretty hard to come by and for the moment, I`m happy with great. My $.02 worth and I don`t think you can make a bad choice.

Thread Information