Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The POWER of two polishers in ONE: The Makita BO6040 Two Mode Orbital Polisher

Bump this back up please !
    Thanks
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Re: The POWER of two polishers in ONE: The Makita BO6040 Two Mode Orbital Polisher

Kevin Brown would not approve of this machines stroke. It does look very intresting though.

Post Thanks / Like

Makita equipment may be specially created to go well with the requirements of skilled workers who will need them all day extended, but they are also suited to be applied for homes. I have this one:

Makita

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    Todd,

Does Makita or Autopia offer this with the smaller backing plates for 5", 4" and 3" pad sizes ?

The right answer will result in an instant sale !

Thanks
    Dan F
    Dan, I guess I missed the first or second time . No, to my knowledge such plates are not available.

Post Thanks / Like

I wrote this to compare to the two forced rotation polishers:

A Makita BO6040 has a 3/16th inch stroke with a maximum speed of 670 RPM & 5800 OPM.

The FLEX3401 has a 5/16 inch stroke with a maximum speed of 480 RPM & 4800 OPM (FLEX measures orbits differently, which is why it is rated at 9600, but apples to apples it is 4800).

I selected the FLEX and the Makita because they both move the pad in a similar motion, a reverse curly q. Let`s see which one is moving more, both at the outer edge and the inside.

Assuming both are running at max speed and using a 6.5 inch pad (which the stock backing plates hold comfortably)

A 6.5 inch as a circumference of approx. 20.41 inches, so every time it spins, it travels that far. In one minute the Makita can spin a distance of 13,675 inches (outer edge). The FLEX only achieves 9,796.8 inches in the same minute, due to a smaller rotational speed. BUT THIS DOESN`T include the distance created by the orbits.

The small orbit of the Makita is .58875 (3/16`s x pi) of an inch, which it does to a spot 5800 times per minute. The orbital distance of a Makita on wide open is only 3,414.75 of an inch per minute. The FLEX, develops nearly an inch of travel, .98125 inches, per orbit (5/16`s x pi) which it moves 480 times per minute for a total distance 4710 inches per minute.

At the edge of the pad, the Makita delivers a total 17,089.75 inches of moment, where as the FLEX only delivers a total of 14,506. Edge Makita....

BUT and it is a HUGE BUT, the outer edge of the pad is just one small area of the pad. As we move closer to the pads center the orbital motion becomes proportionately more significant.

Movement at 1 Inch:
    Makita: 5,518
    FLEX: 6,218

Movement at 3 Inches:
    Makita: 9,725
    FLEX: 9,231.6

Movement at 6.5 inches:
    Makia: 17,089.75
    FLEX: 14,506

As you can see the numbers are fairly close across the board with the FLEX holding an edge towards the inside of the pad and Makita holding an edge towards the larger surface area of the outside of the pad. From a numbers standpoint, the Makita has slightly more polishing potential....

BUT, and again, a LARGE BUT: A 5/16th stroke is going to more more efficient at transferring pad movement through the pad to the paint at the expense of pad life. While there is no number that will substantiate the difference, I would say that what the FLEX looses in theoretical pad movement it makes up for with efficiency, resulting in fairly equal distance per time numbers for both machines. This would be, IME, my both machines are extremely capable of producing stunning results. (Any very similar results at that).

If you want to pay more for the ability to switch between Forced Rotation and Random Orbital Mode, then the Makita is the winner. If you want something that offers different pad sizes, German build quality, and a better price, get the FLEX. There is no wrong answer. Sorry for going off topic, I just love geeky conversations.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice write up but the dude isn`t cheap.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Money aside which-Flex or Makita is the `better` machine? is the Makita from Japan?? which is more pleasing to the ear and hands??? AND I have read that you don`t have to fight the Makita while some say the Flex likes to take walks on its own....

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I`m going to have to pick up another machine! Great review Todd, great documentation!
    Boyce Auto Detailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by imported_Tom View Post
    Money aside which-Flex or Makita is the `better` machine? is the Makita from Japan?? which is more pleasing to the ear and hands??? AND I have read that you don`t have to fight the Makita while some say the Flex likes to take walks on its own....
    There is no better machine IMO.

The FLEX has outstanding polishing power (IMO the Makita and FLEZ are equal in power), now has the ability to change pad sizes, and is lightweight/ergonomic.

The Makita also has outstanding polishing power, the ability to switch between random orbital and forced rotation modes, and is fairly ergonomic.

With the Makita you will pay more for the ability to switch modes. The random orbital mode is a little limited as the high friction created by gearing mechanism and small orbit size really doesn`t offer much polishing power in this mode (although it is excellent for sanding).

Decide on what factors you like the most and go for it, there is no wrong answer.

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the comments about the forced rotation being limited-how much pressure does it take before the r/o stops and it becomes a jiggler?

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the comments about the forced rotation being limited-how much pressure does it take before the r/o stops and it becomes a jiggler?
    As much pressure as it takes for the paint to start burning
    Get your shine on!

Post Thanks / Like

This depends on a large number of factors.

Allergic to One Product ZL1Mark's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    I wrote this to compare to the two forced rotation polishers:

A Makita BO6040 has a 3/16th inch stroke with a maximum speed of 670 RPM & 5800 OPM.

The FLEX3401 has a 5/16 inch stroke with a maximum speed of 480 RPM & 4800 OPM (FLEX measures orbits differently, which is why it is rated at 9600, but apples to apples it is 4800).

I selected the FLEX and the Makita because they both move the pad in a similar motion, a reverse curly q. Let`s see which one is moving more, both at the outer edge and the inside.

Assuming both are running at max speed and using a 6.5 inch pad (which the stock backing plates hold comfortably)

A 6.5 inch as a circumference of approx. 20.41 inches, so every time it spins, it travels that far. In one minute the Makita can spin a distance of 13,675 inches (outer edge). The FLEX only achieves 9,796.8 inches in the same minute, due to a smaller rotational speed. BUT THIS DOESN`T include the distance created by the orbits.

The small orbit of the Makita is .58875 (3/16`s x pi) of an inch, which it does to a spot 5800 times per minute. The orbital distance of a Makita on wide open is only 3,414.75 of an inch per minute. The FLEX, develops nearly an inch of travel, .98125 inches, per orbit (5/16`s x pi) which it moves 480 times per minute for a total distance 4710 inches per minute.

At the edge of the pad, the Makita delivers a total 17,089.75 inches of moment, where as the FLEX only delivers a total of 14,506. Edge Makita....

BUT and it is a HUGE BUT, the outer edge of the pad is just one small area of the pad. As we move closer to the pads center the orbital motion becomes proportionately more significant.

Movement at 1 Inch:
    Makita: 5,518
    FLEX: 6,218

Movement at 3 Inches:
    Makita: 9,725
    FLEX: 9,231.6

Movement at 6.5 inches:
    Makia: 17,089.75
    FLEX: 14,506

As you can see the numbers are fairly close across the board with the FLEX holding an edge towards the inside of the pad and Makita holding an edge towards the larger surface area of the outside of the pad. From a numbers standpoint, the Makita has slightly more polishing potential....

BUT, and again, a LARGE BUT: A 5/16th stroke is going to more more efficient at transferring pad movement through the pad to the paint at the expense of pad life. While there is no number that will substantiate the difference, I would say that what the FLEX looses in theoretical pad movement it makes up for with efficiency, resulting in fairly equal distance per time numbers for both machines. This would be, IME, my both machines are extremely capable of producing stunning results. (Any very similar results at that).

If you want to pay more for the ability to switch between Forced Rotation and Random Orbital Mode, then the Makita is the winner. If you want something that offers different pad sizes, German build quality, and a better price, get the FLEX. There is no wrong answer. Sorry for going off topic, I just love geeky conversations.
    Hey Todd,

The comparison you did was with OPM`s. How about when considering RPM`s, is it all relative?

FWIW, from the research I did, the orbit of the Makita is 7/32 = 5.6mm stroke, not 3/16"(5mm).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SSizzlin` View Post
    Hey Todd,

The comparison you did was with OPM`s. How about when considering RPM`s, is it all relative?

FWIW, from the research I did, the orbit of the Makita is 7/32 = 5.6mm stroke, not 3/16"(5mm).
    RPM is included in the above write-up.

Post Thanks / Like

Is this suitable for beginners or cut teeth with the the traditional PC series?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information