Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Question 2001 Blk VW Passat Hood Oxidation Removal?

About to get into a black VW Passat with oxidation on about 25-30% of the hood. Nothing too major but hazing on there is noticable. Plan on using Megs Red pad with either of the following products:

Megs 105
    Megs Ultimate Compound

Or
    Megs D300 with Megs MF pads.

VW paint rather harder to work on for those of you who have been there, done that please let me know which route the best to take.
    Oxidation needs to be gone and yes planning a 2 stage polish.

Thx

Tomato
    DFW Metroplex, Texas.
    Mr. Tomato
    Ti23@Yahoo.Com

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2001 Blk VW Passat Hood Oxidation Removal?

Looks good from what you posted on the products to use, let us know how it turn out and any question when doing it please be free to post them.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: 2001 Blk VW Passat Hood Oxidation Removal?

UPDATE:

Finally got my hands on the black passat with oxidation on the hood and roof. List of prods used:

Chic Fil A for good Hearty Breakfast LOVE their chicken biscuits
    Flex 3401 Glock Edition with CGs 5" Backing plate (Own 4 buffers my #1)
    Griot`s Garage 3" Buffer
    Hex Logic 5" Orange Pad
    LC Hydro Tangerine 4" Pad
    Meg`s UC (very messy stuff)
    Meg`s D300 (LOVE this stuff)
    Meg`s Clay Bar kit
    GG Leather Care (MF towels cleans up very well)
    Black Light (would love to use this stuff on Scarlet Johansson)
    CG Tire Shine
    Sun (light of truth)
    LED inspect lights
    Dozen Gator Aids and H20

First of all I usually prefer to work on cars at 6AM but this one got here late around 9:30 or so. I`m in TX and it`s summer so needless to say the heat gets unbearable in the garage. On top of the oxidation on the hood of the Passat, It also had lots of RDS as if a green pad like the one used to clean dishes was used on it. Nasty stuff and must be honest when I started I was sure the oxidation would come off but the RDS I really thought those were permanent. First batter up was the Meg`s UC on the HL 5" pad. Perfect and very potent combination as it easily cut thru everything in it`s path. Only draw back was it was real messy. I used it to finish up the entire hood and I knew I had to change up the game plan on the roof of the car due to it`s messiness. Enter Ole faithful Meg`s D300 I know, I know settle down guys! "That`s a piece of the Meg`s MF System you fool" YES I def know that. I own several Meg`s MF and Surbuff MF pads as well in my arsenal. I`ve used the D300 before on other cars with the foam pads instead of MF pads. If you guys haven`t played with such a combo I highly recommend it. What I love about the D300 is it`s cutting ability YET leaves almost little to No mess behind. And the way this stuff finishes I swear you almost have no need for any LSP. I do love the MF pads but only drawback for me since I don`t own an air compressor is that I have to stop after every panel and use a conditioning brush to "fluff" up the fibers again. The brush does work but again since I started later than usual on this car I knew I had to make up time before the sun crept further into my work station. I`m known as Tomato and not Sun Dried Tomato

Proceeded to finish up the larger sections of the car with D300 and HL 5" pads with my 3401 Glock Edition. Came out beautiful and again almost seemed as if no LSP was needed at all. Oh did I mention I HEART D300 already?? Next used the 3" GG buffer on the Hydro Tangeringe 4" pads with D300 to finish the bumpers, wheel arches etc. The 4" pads are perfect when it comes to bumpers and smaller sections where you have no control with a much larger pad. I`ve tried the 3" smaller orange pads but they aren`t as effective so I stuck with 4" instead. Again perfect combo thanks to the D300s cutting ability. Most of the car is done but will be putting the finishing touches here in the next few hours. I did take before/after pics as well as a few 50/50 shots for you guys to see but haven`t downloaded them from my Canon or iPhone yet. Will take more pics of the Passat once it`s completed. I do ask for your patience with the pics as today is the only day I get to spend with my wife and she loves for me to take her out. Pics will be up in few days and I`ll update this thread again. Thanks for following this, any questions feel free to ask. Here to learn We all are myself included.

Tomato
    DFW
    Last edited by RioGrandeValley; 07-28-2012 at 06:37 AM. Reason: chick fil a :)
    DFW Metroplex, Texas.
    Mr. Tomato
    Ti23@Yahoo.Com

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Great write up and details, Mr. T -

I like your description of the Flex 3401VRG Glock Edition too !

I have an old Flex 3401VRG Ed Brown Edition, with the Laser, white night sights, engraving, extra long snakeskin Handle for the extra good stuff...

Sounds like you did a great job on this paint ! Congratulations !!!

Dont have any of the stuff you Heart, D300, but I have found Optimum Hyper Polish to be a great all around correction polish that can be amped up with a heavier pad, or really soft pad to totally clear out a final finish and leave no dust or garbage flying around in any scenario.
    I may have to try your stuff sometime...

I know a lot about the Rio Grande Valley - some of the best Ruby Red Grapefruit and other stuff comes from there.
    My Uncle had a Feed and Seed store there in McAllen, long long ago. It was basically a hardware store that sold everything - 100Lb sacks of stuff, hardware, guns, ammo, everything, and in season, lots of baby chicks even... I always loved the smell of that store - nothing else like it.
    My Grandparents on my Dad`s side and a few other generations previous, came all the way over from Espana` (Spain) to live there too and had lots of property and stuff..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

^^^Thx Amigo^^^

Although wife and I have moved on for the better, I never forget where I came from hence my Screen Name on here. Yes I`ve tried the forbidden fruit u mentioned and love it too.
    Lots of pics taken will try and shoot en up within the next day or two. Hectic schedule the Tomato keeps.

Thx Meg`s for your D300 as its def a game changer for me.

Tomato
    DFW Metroplex, Texas.
    Mr. Tomato
    Ti23@Yahoo.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Red face Re: 2001 Blk VW Passat Hood Oxidation Removal?

Woke up 4AM couldn`t go back to sleep so grabbed the notebook and got iPhone pics uploaded. NO Canon yet I`ll eventually get to those. Few quick pics for you guys to enjoy.

Tomato
    DFW

tyGfe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DFW Metroplex, Texas.
    Mr. Tomato
    Ti23@Yahoo.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Few More...

Tomato

tyGfe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DFW Metroplex, Texas.
    Mr. Tomato
    Ti23@Yahoo.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Great work!!

Post Thanks / Like

^^^Thx Brother^^^

Took a while to get to this car but made the commitment and didn`t want to let this one get away. Like I tell everyone I absolutely HATE working on black cars but they yield the best results around. Client picking it up later today...can`t wait to see her face. She was thinking of getting it painted so for me the satisfaction comes from saving her lots of $$$. She got it new in 2000 and it has 106K miles...

********************CORRECTION******************** ****
    Car is a 2000 and not a 2001. VIN stamp on door showed date 07/00.

Tomato
    DFW
    DFW Metroplex, Texas.
    Mr. Tomato
    Ti23@Yahoo.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Great turnaround and review! Need to try my 300 with foam.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job. The car looks great

Post Thanks / Like

Thx for the kind words Amigos. Appreciate U guys

Tomato
    DFW Metroplex, Texas.
    Mr. Tomato
    Ti23@Yahoo.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Looks fantastic!

Is this a clear coat? If so, there is always a possibility that this is the beginning of clear coat failure and the hood will fade back in few months.

Hope not!

Post Thanks / Like

^^^Yes it is^^^

Told the client when she picked it up that we`ll schedule a follow up sometime in the fall.
    She loves her car and said she wants to maintain the finish. If it does come back will have to be gentle on it and preserve as much for other visits. 12 years old and never been worked on...leaves me a lot to work with. On a side note she liked the loan car I provided her with (BMW) so really I`m hoping she gets a newer car. Will try and talk her into a PCar!!

Tomato
    DFW Metroplex, Texas.
    Mr. Tomato
    Ti23@Yahoo.Com

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice turn around, that looks great.

Was the hood oxidized or was it cloudiness from the scratches (scotch bright pad)? It seems quite odd that the hood was oxidized unless it was an el-cheapo repaint. Either ways it looks amazing now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information