Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Product Review: Chemical Guy’s Black Light - Radiant Finish and Hybrid V7 Optical Select High-Gloss Spray Sealant

I was the winner of the Chemical Guy’s Black Light - Radiant Finish and Hybrid V7 Optical Select High-Gloss Spray Sealant contest a few weeks ago. I told Todd I would post a review of the products once I had a chance to use them.

To begin, this review will NOT contain the following overused and time-worn clichés and phrases:

Amazing – Over the top – Insane – Out of bounds – Crazy – Off the chart – Blown away - Pop

It will contain one phrase that sums up these two products when used together – “optical clarity”. Your vehicle will become a rolling mirror that reflects anything in its path.

I applied these two products to my wife’s black 2001 Lexus RX 300. This car has the softest paint on the planet. If you dry it with a soft microfiber towel, you will induce micro-marring. I have to blot it dry with a Water Sprite synthetic towel to avoid marring the finish.

In all the years I’ve owned this car, I have never been able to achieve a reflective surface that I was extremely happy with. I would see others post pictures of their vehicles that I was more than envious of. Those days of envy are over.

Product Name: Chemical Guys Black Light - Radiant Finish

Product Container: 16 oz plastic bottle

Product Labeling: Label is designed not to smear or run if product is spilled on it. Clear instructions for use on label.

Product Characteristics – Black Light:
    Color: Purple
    Scent: Pleasant artificial grape
    Consistency: Thick cream

Product Application: The instructions state that it can be applied by hand or machine. I used my Porter Cable 7424 set at speed 4 along with a blue finishing pad. Just two dots about the size of a dime are all you need for a 24” by 24” section.

According to the label, due to the Nano blending formulation, you should wait at least 15 minutes to allow the product to blend and cure before removing. After testing the product on the hood, I did the rest of the car leaving the product on and then removed it in the same sequence I applied. It can be removed very easily, even if left on for more than 15 minutes.

Product Performance: Once I removed the product I couldn’t believe it was the same paint. I said, “Why top this with Hybrid V7 Optical Select High-Gloss Spray Sealant? It can’t get any better.” But it did. I’ll explain later.

This product is advertised as a “Gloss Enhancer” but it also contains some type of cleaning ability as I had some minor water spots which it removed with ease.

I think this statement from the product label best describes this product: Black Light Radiant Finish is crafted and formulated especially for car lovers who aim for the smoothest, sharpest and wettest reflection possible with strong durability; ease of application and anti static property. See pictures below for proof.

Additional thoughts: I haven’t had a chance to apply it to a light colored car so I can’t tell if it will produce the same results as my wife’s black car. If you own a dark colored vehicle you owe it to yourself to use this.

At this point, I can’t comment of durability as it has only been on for a few days. One thing I did notice is that it did not stain the trim on the car; another plus for me.

After finally letting my wife drive it to the store, she was approached by a man and wife in the parking lot who asked if the car was new. When she told them it was 11 years old they couldn’t believe it.

Product Price: $27.99 and well worth every penny.

Product Safety: As with any product containing petroleum distillates; wear Nitrile gloves and keep out of reach of children. First aid procedure is printed on label.

The product images below are a reflectrion shot from the passenger`s front door. You can tell its a mirror image because the printing on the label is reversed.

Product Name: Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 Optical Select High-Gloss Spray Sealant

Product Container: 16 oz plastic bottle with sprayer

Product Labeling: Professionally designed label that will not smear or run if product is spilled on it. Clear instructions for use on label.

Product Characteristics:
    Color: Orange
    Scent: Citrus
    Consistency: Thin liquid spray

Product Application: This is best if applied to a foam applicator pad such as those used for wax or sealant. I first started by spraying it on a microfiber towel then applying it to the car. I quickly found out that the towel absorbs a lot of the product and you’ll use up the sealant fast. Once applied, I let it dry. It doesn’t haze over like wax or sealant but like most spray LSPs it produced a smear that is easily buffed away with a dry microfiber towel.

Product Performance: As stated above, I didn’t think the finish could get any better after I used the Black Light enhancer but I was wrong. The sealant seems to add even more reflectivity to the paint surface and cleans up any Black Light you may have overlooked. These two products are a perfect marriage.

Additional thoughts: I’ve done enough cars now that I can feel if the finish is flat and hard. Once you apply this over Black Light you’ll know your car’s exterior has been properly detailed. These two products get my highest recommendation not because I won them in a contest but because they work as advertised.

Product Price: $18.99.

Product Safety: As with any product containing petroleum distillates; wear Nitrile gloves and keep out of reach of children. First aid procedure is printed on label.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: Chemical Guy’s Black Light - Radiant Finish and Hybrid V7 Optical Select High-Gloss Spray Sealant

EXCELLENT REVIEW! The paint on the Lexus looks AMAZING!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Product Review: Chemical Guy’s Black Light - Radiant Finish and Hybrid V7 Optical Select High-Gloss Spray Sealant

Great review!! Like Blacklight but LOVE V7.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice! Blacklight was still working on my car 8 months later when I finally applied OptiCoat last month. Car was garaged at night and covered at work, but water was still beading. You`ll definitely like the longevity.

How many passes did you do on each section?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by triplejumper18 View Post
    How many passes did you do on each section?
    3 to 4 passes per section.

Post Thanks / Like
    Excellent review. I agree with your findings on Blacklight and V7. I love them !!!
    Only Z Best Detailing-Automotive Concours Detailing Services
    http://ozbdetailing.com
    https://www.facebook.com/ozbautodetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the review. I guess you liked the products.

Al
    The Need to Bead

Post Thanks / Like

Great review. Those are 2 of my favorite products. Blacklight is a wonderful product and V7 is even better.

Post Thanks / Like

excellent optical clarity doctordon !

Post Thanks / Like

they are great products but imo, V7 is designed to be sprayed. Applying it with a foam applicator is too time consuming and not sure you will save that much product anyhow.

I prefer spraying the towel as opposed to the paint and like most products a little goes a long way.

Post Thanks / Like

Played with a little Blacklight this weekend and loved it!

Post Thanks / Like

Great Review...Ive been thinking about picking some that up. Thanks for making my wallet lighter in advance.

Post Thanks / Like

I just used this combo on my mom`s silver SUV today. Although it could have used a real polish job I just used BL as a AIO and the results were pretty good. I will still do a polish job eventually but for now she is very happy with the results.
    I used a 5.5 LC Crimson pad on a PC for the BL and used a ccs gold hand applicator for the V07. I find i get better coverage , use less product, and easier removal using a applicator.

Post Thanks / Like

In your opinion, is V-7 on par with Blackfire crystal seal and the new wolfgang liquid spray sealant or is it more of a quick detailer with some sealant and can it be layered and go over itself or a previous coat of wax. I have been hard pressed to find the answers even with calling the Chemical Guys customer service number.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlineman View Post
    In your opinion, is V-7 on par with Blackfire crystal seal and the new wolfgang liquid spray sealant or is it more of a quick detailer with some sealant and can it be layered and go over itself or a previous coat of wax. I have been hard pressed to find the answers even with calling the Chemical Guys customer service number.
    I am not sure if this ? was aimed at me but since I just happened to use BF crystal on my own vehicle today I will go ahead and answer.
    I believe that V07 is definitely a legit sealant and not just a QD or booster sealant. It is different than BF CS in that you have to wipe it off but the result are great and it smells like orange creamsicle`s !!!
    I had the BL and V07 combo on the tonneau cover of my truck for a month before today and it was still beading like crazy just this morning.
    The rest of my truck was bone dry but the large flat surface just sucks the water out of the air.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information