Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: House of Kolors?

Yes, you can: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-compound.html

M105 is a compound and finishing would, in all likelihood, bring out the clarity you are looking for.

Post Thanks / Like

With those pictures it is kind of hard to see what is going on. This is because, at least on the angle of your picture, the scratches look long and fairly straight.

Menzerna IP2000 doesn`t finish as nice as more modern polishes, so the marks you could be seeing could be a result from IP and a final polishing could clean those up.

Meguiar`s M105 would be a definitely step up in aggressiveness. Couple this with a Meguiar`s DA Microfiber Cutting Disc.

For finishing, BLACKFIRE SRC Finishing Polish on a crimson hydro-tech pad will clean up the marks and leave a high gloss.

Post Thanks / Like

So, an update. Today I bought some M105 to try it out. I followed the guide linked to a few posts above, and I think it turned out pretty nice. Reflections look awesome, except for when i shine my light on it I`m still seeing all these scratches. With a light shined directly on that section and viewed from a distance they definitely look like holograms. I can see them OK, but I know a camera would have a hard time showing it. So, using a little trick I pulled from astrophotography, here`s what I got:

It definitely looks like what I am seeing is coming from me wiping the area after polishing. I`m using a 10% IPA/water mix and the microfiber towels that came with my Lake Country pad kit from Autopia, and I`m not pressing all that hard. I just ordered a 12 pack of the Mango Breeze microfiber towels yesterday, I hope those don`t do the same thing. Will this go away with a glaze or wax, or do I need different towels? I was planning on polishing the car and then adding a few coats of Klasse and leaving it at that. Has anyone seen this before?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Astraeus View Post
    So, an update. Today I bought some M105 to try it out. I followed the guide linked to a few posts above, and I think it turned out pretty nice. Reflections look awesome, except for when i shine my light on it I`m still seeing all these scratches. With a light shined directly on that section and viewed from a distance they definitely look like holograms. I can see them OK, but I know a camera would have a hard time showing it. So, using a little trick I pulled from astrophotography, here`s what I got:

It definitely looks like what I am seeing is coming from me wiping the area after polishing. I`m using a 10% IPA/water mix and the microfiber towels that came with my Lake Country pad kit from Autopia, and I`m not pressing all that hard. I just ordered a 12 pack of the Mango Breeze microfiber towels yesterday, I hope those don`t do the same thing. Will this go away with a glaze or wax, or do I need different towels? I was planning on polishing the car and then adding a few coats of Klasse and leaving it at that. Has anyone seen this before?

Okay, It looks like you have REALLY soft paint, so let`s see if we can help you. This is not uncommon with some after market paints and they can sometimes be impossible to get 100%, particularly when even soft towels are creating micro marks.

What pads do you have available?

Take your softest pad and prime it with M105. That is take an ample amount of M105 and spread it over the pad until every square inch is covered. Allow it to sit for 5-10 minutes.

Now put the pad on a machine, place the machine against your leg with the pad facing up, and press a towel or pad brush against the pad, and run it at full speed until you knock out the majority of the excess polish. You should be left with a fine, even coat of polish of the pad.

Now polish a section, using speed 4, and keep firm pressure on the paint through out the entire polishing process. Do not reduce pressure. I want you to make 2-3 slow passes over the area and stop.

Then wipe off the residue and inspect the finish. It will likely not be perfect, but it should look much better. As in much much better.

Also, did you use the spacer between you backing plate and the DA polisher`s head?

Post Thanks / Like

I think it may just be the black in this case, I`ve had problems with it since the car was painted. It got very cloudy a few weeks after it was initially painted and it was repolished by the place that painted it. Its not nearly as shiny or reflective as the blue is, so I may just try to get it close and move on. I also noticed that using a Meguiars QD instead of the water/IPA mix left a lot less of what is seen in the picture I posted.

I tried the M105 and a red pad. It made it better, but it honestly didn`t look any different to me than it did after the 2 step process with an orange and then white pad. Using hardly any pressure on speed 4 stops the rotation. Below speed 6 it doesn`t take much to stop the rotation. My new set of microfiber towels should be waiting for me when I get home from work, so I`ll try a different towel and see if it makes a difference.

The backing plate has a small black washer between it and the polisher`s head. Is that the proper spacer?

As for what pads I have available, I have yellow, orange, white, and red, all Lake Country 6" CCS foam. I also have M105, PO91E, and PO85rd for compounds/polishes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information