Post Thanks / Like

25 year old Toyota, need serious help/advise

Ok guys, I`m a first time poster and could use a lot of help.

I have a 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS in original rust free condition. But it has some paint problems.

Problem #1. The original owner had a painted on pin stripe I am trying to remove. I have just tried a small section using a felt tip on a dremel and #2 fine cut cleaner. I had SOME success but not what I`d like. Where the stripe was removed, there are still small indents in the paint where the stripe was. There is also a few area`s where it looks a little dark/light. Clear coat?

Is this car even base coat clear coat?

There are a few area`s where the paint is heat checked a little too. The car has never been buffed. Is there a way to buff the clear off the car and have it re-cleared?

I`m in Ohio and need a VERY good professional to take a look at it. I`d like to retain the original paint, but the pinstripe has got to go.

Sorry for the messy right up, posting from my phone. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 25 year old Toyota, need serious help/advise

There are several highly talented members from Ohio here. Where about in Ohio are you?

Post Thanks / Like

I`m in NE Ohio. I`m trying to consider whether this is a body shop or detail issue.

There are also some spots that I see the clear is starting to come off.

I have a few issue`s here. I`d like to get the pin stripe off either way, and I`d like to do that soon. I have a few video`s for my business and this car will add great credibility. However, ultimately, I`d like the whole car gone over, but I really want to retain the original paint.

These cars are rare to begin with, and one in this condition (original), even more so. I want to do anything possible too do it right.

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AutopiaForums and our member TroyScherer is from Ohio but I don`t know if he`s close to you.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome to AF!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys!

Post Thanks / Like

If you could post some pictures it would help everyone to see what your dealing with.

Post Thanks / Like

I`ll try to get some up tomorrow. How do you guys host pics here?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juevi View Post
    I`ll try to get some up tomorrow. How do you guys host pics here?
    You have two options, you can host your pictures in our members gallery or on a secondary website. These tutorials should get you started.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...s-gallery.html

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...g-website.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Juevi View Post
    Ok guys, I`m a first time poster and could use a lot of help.

I have a 1987 Toyota Corolla GTS in original rust free condition. But it has some paint problems.

Problem #1. The original owner had a painted on pin stripe I am trying to remove. I have just tried a small section using a felt tip on a dremel and #2 fine cut cleaner. I had SOME success but not what I`d like. Where the stripe was removed, there are still small indents in the paint where the stripe was. There is also a few area`s where it looks a little dark/light. Clear coat?

Is this car even base coat clear coat?

There are a few area`s where the paint is heat checked a little too. The car has never been buffed. Is there a way to buff the clear off the car and have it re-cleared?

I`m in Ohio and need a VERY good professional to take a look at it. I`d like to retain the original paint, but the pinstripe has got to go.

Sorry for the messy right up, posting from my phone. Any and all help is appreciated. Thank you.

First of all, welcome to AF!

As far as the pinstripe that was painted on and `indents` below it...

The indents could be caused from where you polished away not only the pinstripe but also the paint underneath. Dremels tend to run at a high rate of speed and a felt time is a pretty aggressive material. While polishing is probably the right idea, I would likely try something more paint friendly such as proper machine polish (Porter Cable) and a general light polishing.

There is chance that some very light wet sanding (3000 grit) may be necessary to fully level the marks and not have a ridge where the pin stripe was.

Also depending on the paint type of your car as well as the pin stripe, there could be some chemical interaction between the two which could have (over time) made it almost impossible to completely remove.

As far as base coat/clear coat or single stage, take a little of the Meguiar`s Fine Cut Cleaner on a towel and rub an inconspicuous area. If you get color transfer onto the towel, then it is single stage.

If it is clear coat and you want the vehicle re-cleared, this is possible. Usually they will sand the clear and re spray.

When you say it is heat check, I am assuming (always dangerous) that it resembles little check marks or crow`s feet. If it is base coat/ clear coat (or single stage) this is usually an issue that penetrates the entire thickness of the paint. It will require repainting to fix.

Post Thanks / Like

^^^ Thank you, if anyone has suggestions for a good recourse to find a capable body shop that`d be great. I`m covered in spades on the mechanical end, but never have had a car that I needed the body work to be done with such grace and care.

Post Thanks / Like

I love the looks of those old Corolla`s. I have always wanted an AE86.

Where exactly in Ohio are you? I am in Dover. About 20-30 minutes south of Canton.

Post Thanks / Like

Looks really nice for a 25 year old car!

Where do you think the clearcoat is peeling?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    I love the looks of those old Corolla`s. I have always wanted an AE86.

Where exactly in Ohio are you? I am in Dover. About 20-30 minutes south of Canton.
    This one may be considered one of the most originals left, seriously, it`s very nice. BUT, that`s why I need to get the paint and pin stripe properly taken care of. I may be a bit overzealous on my claim, but I have yet to see one this original and un-modified yet online, except for the one with like 80 miles on it in Germany I think he has me lol

I`m sure there`s others out there though. But I`m looking to do some special video`s and productions soon, and need this in tip top shape.

Do you know someone that can help, want to take a look at it yourself? I don`t want to do more damage than good. I can drive it down if needed.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ca.detailchick View Post
    Looks really nice for a 25 year old car!

Where do you think the clearcoat is peeling?
    It`s on the other side, I`ll try to get a pic of that tomorrow.

Thread Information