Post Thanks / Like

2012 passat paint issues

HI! not sure if anyone I know is left lol Here is my issue I just got a black 2012 passat tdi sel loves it. I noticed some halos and swirl marks in the paint when I did my inital detail. I went out and got megs ultimate compound - using yelllow polishing pad on 4~5 with megs DA ... nada . nothing they are still there. Went to ssr2.5,2 then one....nope still there.

So any VW folks know if their paint is hard?? seems I cannot correct or..could it be under the clear?
    You have activated my special ability....

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2012 passat paint issues

You might have to step up in chemicals ( Meg`s 105 ) with maybe a Hydro pad ( Cyan ) to see that will work for you. But I have seen some that are soft as butter and had to use something like Menzerna PO 85U with a Black pad.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Opti Coat Pro Certified Orinda Auto Detail's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always have alot of luck on black VW paint with Menz IP green CCS pad, Followed by menz rd85 white CCS pad. Sometime followed with a red pad and rd85. GL hope this helps!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by groebuck View Post
    HI! not sure if anyone I know is left lol Here is my issue I just got a black 2012 passat tdi sel loves it. I noticed some halos and swirl marks in the paint when I did my inital detail. I went out and got megs ultimate compound - using yelllow polishing pad on 4~5 with megs DA ... nada . nothing they are still there. Went to ssr2.5,2 then one....nope still there.

So any VW folks know if their paint is hard?? seems I cannot correct or..could it be under the clear?
    Hi! Welcome back!

What size pad`s where you using. I believe the Meg`s pads are either 6.5 inchs (Soft Buff) or 7 inches (Soft Buff 2.0).

I would first switch to a smaller pad size and backing plate, perhaps a 5.5 inch pad on a 5 inch backing plate.

For foam, consider Lake Country Hydro-Tech Cyan (cutting) or Meguiar`s MF Cutting Discs. Either is going to offer significantly more cut than the larger polishing foams.

Ultimate Compound is a great product, I would think by applying it with a MF Disc or 5.5 inch Cyan (on speed 6) you are going to dramatically increase your cutting power.

Any yes, VW, Audia (and even Bugatti) all use extremely hard paints, at least IME.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks! I have not had time to hit it again - I may order new pads. I have using the 6.5 i believe - but I was on 4~5 ish - with a polishing pad. Guess I just need to test with a higher speed.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

Just did one of these a few weeks ago and yes, the paint was hard. I used a combo of Menzerna SIP with a LC orange pad and then finished off with Micro Polish and a LC Black pad.

Came out perfect!
    Thomas Kehlenbeck
    Aggressive Detailing

Thread Information