Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Paint Shines but rough finish

I have a 2006 Red Ford Escape. The paint shines but when I run my hand across the finish, it almost feels like sandpaper, not abrasive, but feels like the entire surface has very small bumps on it. Like I say, if you look at the paint from a distance (or from even fairly close)it has a very nice shine but I can`t stand the way it feels. I`m really surprised that it shines so nicely given the way it feels. I don`t really see any oxidation.

I worked in an industrial area for several years. Could this be some kind of fallout or acid rain?

I thought I would try claying it first (it`s never been), but like I said it is the entire paint job that feels sandpaper-like. Would some kind of polish be better.

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Paint Shines but rough finish

Claying is definitely the route you want to go. Sounds like it`s pretty rough, so you will probably want to use a medium grade clay like Meguiar`s blue clay.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfxAesk4Po4]Part 1 - How to use detailing clay - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opfK408uIxM]Part 2 - How to use detailing clay - YouTube[/ame]
    Shane

2016 Honda Civic EX-T in Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Once upon a time, long long ago, I came across the very same thing and someone showed me how to correct the situation...

Shane and Mike have you covered!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

The grit is some form of paint contamination. It could be standard fall out (stuff floating around in the air that lands and bonds to the paint), iron oxide particles (iron in the air that lands on the paint and rusts, bonding to the finish) or overspray (a atomized chemical that has dried on the paint).

Using detailer`s clay will remove the offending contamination.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-polyclay.html

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You need a Clay Bar to remove the contaminantion from the surface of you ride.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much. I`ll give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like

If you a metal fallout on your vehicle you may want to look at Carpro IronX as well. It will help to remove all metal particles above and imbedded into the surface.

Post Thanks / Like

Holy c#$p! I am so pumped!

This was the first time I ever clayed a car and it worked like a charm - smooth like a new car!

The only bad thing is...I think I`m hooked on this detailing thing. ha.

Thanks to all of you again.

Doug

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subaroo View Post
    Holy c#! I am so pumped!

This was the first time I ever clayed a car and it worked like a charm - smooth like a new car!

The only bad thing is...I think I`m hooked on this detailing thing. ha.

Thanks to all of you again.

Doug
    Our pleasure Doug. Does the paint look any shinier?

Post Thanks / Like

I clayed yesterday for the first time since winter prep back in October and for some reason, the horizontal panels were clean but the lower door panels were disgusting!

I swear I could not do a section bigger than 8 inches square before I had to flip my clay then start kneading it again. The stuff wouldn`t wash off the clay either. No idea what happened. Winter was so mild this year...

I thought 3 coats of KSG was bulletproof but looks like I`ll be going with DG 501/601 and topping it with 845 for next winter...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    I clayed yesterday for the first time since winter prep back in October and for some reason, the horizontal panels were clean but the lower door panels were disgusting!

I swear I could not do a section bigger than 8 inches square before I had to flip my clay then start kneading it again. The stuff wouldn`t wash off the clay either. No idea what happened. Winter was so mild this year...

I thought 3 coats of KSG was bulletproof but looks like I`ll be going with DG 501/601 and topping it with 845 for next winter...
    This product is an absolute must:

Blackfire Clay Bar Cleaner and Extender
    Shane

2016 Honda Civic EX-T in Lunar Silver

Post Thanks / Like

re: Our pleasure Doug. Does the paint look any shinier?
    It`s hard to tell for me - I would think so. Like I said, it shined pretty well before, just felt terrible. But it really feels great now.

My car must have really been bad. There was so much brown on the clay. Can I get more than one use out of the clay when the car was so bad?
    Last edited by Subaroo; 03-19-2012 at 07:39 PM. Reason: wasn't finished...hit the post button too soon

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Subaroo View Post
    It`s hard to tell for me - I would think so. Like I said, it shined pretty well before, just felt terrible. But it really feels great now.

My car must have really been bad. There was so much brown on the clay. Can I get more than one use out of the clay when the car was so bad?
    Yes, this product was made specifically for your concern: Blackfire Clay Bar Cleaner and Extender

Here is an informative thread on how to use it: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-extender.html

If you think of that brown `crud` on the clay as almost like a dust that has bonded to your finish (that you removed) I am sure you have witnessed an increase in gloss. Make sure to wax or seal the paint afterward.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Yes, this product was made specifically for your concern: Blackfire Clay Bar Cleaner and Extender

Here is an informative thread on how to use it: http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...-extender.html

If you think of that brown `crud` on the clay as almost like a dust that has bonded to your finish (that you removed) I am sure you have witnessed an increase in gloss. Make sure to wax or seal the paint afterward.
    Todd,

Not to get this thread too far off track,but... I use Zaino Z7 as a clay lube (cheap and works great). Can the Blackfire Cleaner be used on my clay? Any chemical reactions?

Thanks,

Dan.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BookemDano View Post
    Todd,

Not to get this thread too far off track,but... I use Zaino Z7 as a clay lube (cheap and works great). Can the Blackfire Cleaner be used on my clay? Any chemical reactions?

Thanks,

Dan.
    I`m not sure which type of clay you are using, but in our testing, BLACKFIRE Clay Bar Cleaner & Extender works extremely well with everything we have tested it on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information