Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing with Meguiar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound

I`ve been reading detailing forums for almost a year now and this article could not have come at a better time for me. I have M105 and the exact pads you used, so this will be interesting to try.

When most people speak of M105 usually M205 is mentioned (used) as well. This is actually a simple thing really. Only change 1 variable, the pad.

Of course you could move on to, or start with M205 depending on the defects of the paint, and do the same thing I suppose.

Heck, I have some some 3M cutting compound and some Mothers rubbing compound that I assume could be used in the same manner. At least I don`t see why not. The results may be different as they`re different brand name products, but using two different pads with the one products would still yield different results, I guess.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytman View Post
    I`ve been reading detailing forums for almost a year now and this article could not have come at a better time for me. I have M105 and the exact pads you used, so this will be interesting to try.

When most people speak of M105 usually M205 is mentioned (used) as well. This is actually a simple thing really. Only change 1 variable, the pad.

Of course you could move on to, or start with M205 depending on the defects of the paint, and do the same thing I suppose.

Heck, I have some some 3M cutting compound and some Mothers rubbing compound that I assume could be used in the same manner. At least I don`t see why not. The results may be different as they`re different brand name products, but using two different pads with the one products would still yield different results, I guess.
    I have used the Mother`s Rubbing Compound, and while it finishes exceptionally well for a rubbing compound (I mean really really well) it does not leave a perfect surface. In my experience, 3M is likely to leave significant marring as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Todd, does the hardness of the paint matter for this technique?

I assume harder paints are easier to try this on

Post Thanks / Like

very cool. i`ll need to give this a try

any thoughts on trying this technique d300? since it also relies on SMAT (and dusts less - someone brought up the dusting issue). say - starting with d300 and MF cutting pad, then switching to a clean / primed foam finishing pad
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    very cool. i`ll need to give this a try

any thoughts on trying this technique d300? since it also relies on SMAT (and dusts less - someone brought up the dusting issue). say - starting with d300 and MF cutting pad, then switching to a clean / primed foam finishing pad
    I have used this technique with D300, M101, M86 (So1o), and both the old and new versions of the M105.

It works very well with D300.

In fact if you are using D300 with a Microfiber Cutting Disk try this... Work the polish until the defects are removed (don`t remove the polish residue from teh paint) and blow the pad out extremely well. Then reduce the DA to speed 3.5 or 4. Apply enough pressure to keep the pad rotating, but slowly (less then 1 rotation per second) and go over the area 2-3 more times.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by embolism View Post
    Todd, does the hardness of the paint matter for this technique?

I assume harder paints are easier to try this on
    Yes a harder paint may be easier (more forgiving of technique). However my old HHR (used for this write-up) has very soft paint and I was still able to get the finish 99.5 percent of the way there.

Post Thanks / Like

105, has always been one of my favorites, It always seems to get the job done quickly. Although more labor is invovled I have used it by hand on spot corrections with pretty good results as well then touched up with a quick machine finish. Great write up, extremely informative and a very affordable option for anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ecrissman View Post
    105, has always been one of my favorites, It always seems to get the job done quickly. Although more labor is invovled I have used it by hand on spot corrections with pretty good results as well then touched up with a quick machine finish. Great write up, extremely informative and a very affordable option for anyone.
    Thank you. M105 is an amazing product and was a game changer as far as moderately aggressive compounds go. The ability to achieve such a high level of finish while maintaining a really high rate of cut is phenomenal.

Post Thanks / Like

I was practicing on my neighbors `04 Nissan Frontier - totally scratched and it never saw a car wash.

Anyway, working it with an orange pad on a 3401 left a lot of residue and dusting and a lot of rubbing with a terry towel to remove what remained.; while switching to a Megs heavy cut wool pad finished beautifully with virtually no residue.

User error or ...?
    “Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves.
    ~Albert Einstein

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LeMarque View Post
    I was practicing on my neighbors `04 Nissan Frontier - totally scratched and it never saw a car wash.

Anyway, working it with an orange pad on a 3401 left a lot of residue and dusting and a lot of rubbing with a terry towel to remove what remained.; while switching to a Megs heavy cut wool pad finished beautifully with virtually no residue.

User error or ...?
    Wow sorry for the late response.

Sometimes, particularly if we detail a wide variety of vehicles with a wide variety of paints, we will run into some interesting circumstances.

It seems like there was either a residue on the paint (perhaps even below the surface contamination) then was interfering with the polishing process. When you switched to the wool pad, the added surface area was able to better deal with the abraded paint.

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I`ve had great luck with 105 and MF finishing pads for moderate to light defects. Thoroughly blowing or changing to a QD misted pad to finish off has had excellent results.
    Great topic and tips.
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Post Thanks / Like
    todd. let me.get this straight so i understand this correctly. im goimg to prime the pad with 105 get the panel to my liking..then take another cutting pad that is already primed ..add nothing else to it and go over it? and if thats the case..do i need to wipe off the m105 to start m205?

Post Thanks / Like

Great thread, It just made me order a yellow flat pad and M105!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jeffny09 View Post
    todd. let me.get this straight so i understand this correctly. im goimg to prime the pad with 105 get the panel to my liking..then take another cutting pad that is already primed ..add nothing else to it and go over it? and if thats the case..do i need to wipe off the m105 to start m205?
    Not a cutting pad but a finishing pad. I just shot a video on how this works and I will attempt to upload today if I can get it edited.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Not a cutting pad but a finishing pad. I just shot a video on how this works and I will attempt to upload today if I can get it edited.
    Alright cool ..thanks!!looking fwd to it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information