Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finishing with Meguiar`s M105 Ultra Cut Compound

Quote Originally Posted by briando View Post
    My VW has a mark down the whole hood from where my son tried to hood slide like her saw on the TV. will this stuff buff that out, or am i needing something a little more powerful??
    It`s hard to really get more aggressive than Meguiar`s M105. It should remove the defects (provided they are not too deep). Can you feel the scratches with your finger nail>?

Post Thanks / Like

M101.... That has good cut and surprisingly nice finish. Using with purple foam wool and rotary.

Keeps paint cool with wool and finish with M205.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good reading there Todd..very nice write up and review..Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post

In fact if you are using D300 with a Microfiber Cutting Disk try this... Work the polish until the defects are removed (don`t remove the polish residue from teh paint) and blow the pad out extremely well. Then reduce the DA to speed 3.5 or 4. Apply enough pressure to keep the pad rotating, but slowly (less then 1 rotation per second) and go over the area 2-3 more times.
    BTW this works pretty well. almost lsp ready. thanks again for the tip
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your tips and tricks to using this product. For such a good product it does give plenty of people fits in learning the ins and outs of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great write up. Answered any questions I had.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the compliments/kind words!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Todd, M105 is one of my favorites except there are times when I get an exceptional amount of dusting, even though I`m priming the pad. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I can do to minimize this effect? I`ve seen where some take a little detail spray and hit the pad to moisten it - do u recommend this procedure?

Post Thanks / Like

so todd this is very enlightening info indeed. i take this as akin to a one step correction with different pads and a non-diminishing abrasive. would i be able to get the same results from a diminishing abrasive such as menzerna sip.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by addysdaddy View Post
    Hey Todd, M105 is one of my favorites except there are times when I get an exceptional amount of dusting, even though I`m priming the pad. Am I doing something wrong or is there something I can do to minimize this effect? I`ve seen where some take a little detail spray and hit the pad to moisten it - do u recommend this procedure?
    M105 can dust on occasion depending on a number of factors such as the amount used, the type of pad, the specific paint, and any chemicals that are present on the paint.

Dust is a combination of the abrasives (many of which are heavier because they are coated in abraded paint), abraded paint residue (APR), and abrasives that have clumped together as the lubricants have dried up. If you have chemicals (trace residues of detail spray, clay lubes, waxes, polishes, car soaps) then this can accelerate the clumping which then will increase the dusting.

To reduce dusting I would make sure the paint is as free of chemicals as possible. This is why I personally like to wipe the surface with CarPro Eraser prior to polishing.

Also clean the pad thoroughly after priming and add three small drops of product after.

Past that, I don`t mind the dust. As mentioned above, it is really the "waste" product that is being ejected which keeps the pad/polishing surface "clean". You can use liquids, such as detail sprays to prevent the dusting from occurring, but this recycles the the clumped abrasives back into the polishing process which will negatively effect the finish quality.

Ultimately it is your choice. If dusting is a concern you can try Meguiar`s D300, mix D300 and M105, or use different products. I plan on washing the cars I polish anyways, so I will welcome any dusting in exchange for getting the best performance out of the product.

Post Thanks / Like

M105 can dust on occasion depending on a number of factors such as the amount used, the type of pad, the specific paint, and any chemicals that are present on the paint.

Dust is a combination of the abrasives (many of which are heavier because they are coated in abraded paint), abraded paint residue (APR), and abrasives that have clumped together as the lubricants have dried up. If you have chemicals (trace residues of detail spray, clay lubes, waxes, polishes, car soaps) then this can accelerate the clumping which then will increase the dusting.

To reduce dusting I would make sure the paint is as free of chemicals as possible. This is why I personally like to wipe the surface with CarPro Eraser prior to polishing.

Also clean the pad thoroughly after priming and add three small drops of product after.

Past that, I don`t mind the dust. As mentioned above, it is really the "waste" product that is being ejected which keeps the pad/polishing surface "clean". You can use liquids, such as detail sprays to prevent the dusting from occurring, but this recycles the the clumped abrasives back into the polishing process which will negatively effect the finish quality.

Ultimately it is your choice. If dusting is a concern you can try Meguiar`s D300, mix D300 and M105, or use different products. I plan on washing the cars I polish anyways, so I will welcome any dusting in exchange for getting the best performance out of the product.
    Thanks of responding Todd - I haven`t been cleaning the pad after priming, perhaps that will help. But like you, don`t really mind the dusting was just afraid that I was doing something improper. I`ve read that lowering the speed will help - on a Flex 3401 would you recommend a speed setting other then 5-6 to reduce the dusting effect, or it doesn`t really matter in your experience?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks of responding Todd - I haven`t been cleaning the pad after priming, perhaps that will help. But like you, don`t really mind the dusting was just afraid that I was doing something improper. I`ve read that lowering the speed will help - on a Flex 3401 would you recommend a speed setting other then 5-6 to reduce the dusting effect, or it doesn`t really matter in your experience?
    After coating the pad with product and letting it set for 3-5 minutes, use a pad brush or compressed air to blow out excess product. It will make a big difference in the dusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Will do - what about the speed setting on the Flex?

Post Thanks / Like

Will do - what about the speed setting on the Flex?
    Doesn`t matter really. Shorter the work time at higher speeds.

Post Thanks / Like

Doesn`t matter really. Shorter the work time at higher speeds.
    Anxious to give this technique a try. Doing a 2004 RX7 this weekend that`s pretty much hammered but concerned because I hear that Mazda paint is typically soft. Hmmm, think I know a couple of detailing guru`s who drive a Mazda 3 - perhaps they can weigh in the clear coat & whether M105 would be an appropriate choice for step 1 of a two step correction. Also have WG Swirl Remover & Finishing Glaze if you think that works better in this case

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information