Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Help with spoiler respray

In the pics you can see that my spoiler - which was painted at dealer- and is a bolt on, does not have the same gloss as the car itself. I fear that no amount of correction can bring it back to the car gloss as it is missing some clear coat. I have polished it, and have it pretty good but it`s not the same. Am I reading this right that it probably needs to be re-shot with clear?

Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Help with spoiler

Re-clearing would probably be the best route.

Post Thanks / Like

It defiantly lacks clarity. You say it`s missing some clear. Like in that you have polished through it or was never cleared.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rzatch View Post
    It defiantly lacks clarity. You say it`s missing some clear. Like in that you have polished through it or was never cleared.
    it has not been polished to any great degree, so I know I have not polished it off, it has been more or less matte since delivery. I think it`s basecoat with no clear....maybe opti-coat?
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

update: aw hell guys, I`m gonna respray it myself - spoiler off car and 1st coat just went on, pics later

so I clayed, quick ultimate compound, ISP and then 3 thin coats - 1 thicker coat - I`ll let it cure for a week and compound it out next week - stay tuned!
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Very cool Glen. Let us know how it turns out.

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TroyScherer View Post
    Very cool Glen. Let us know how it turns out.
    oh no, you`re not getting off that easy guys, what do I do next? - using mike`s adage of use the least aggressive possible - what`s the 1st product used? can I do this with my GGDA or do I need my flex (still a bit nervous about this machine on curves like here)....anyone got a schedule I can use?

I was thinking a polishing pad on the flex at 1500 using 501 or UC? or the DA?
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

It`s more than very common for dealers to less than quality paint work. If you suspect color coat only then put some paint cleaner or polish on a cloth and rub a spot. If it is color coat only then you likely see red on your cloth which means no clear, just color...

BobbyG

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

passed that test bobby, no red...it`s just thin clear....what plan do you suggest once the clear cures and how long will that be? couple days?
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

You already started spraying the Dupli-Color cleat coat? So if there was no color coming up, why did you assume the clear coat was thin?
    Connor Harrison Detailing
    Facebook!

Inspection > Correction > Protection

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CH.Detailing View Post
    You already started spraying the Dupli-Color cleat coat?
    done....see above
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glen e View Post
    oh no, you`re not getting off that easy guys, what do I do next? - using mike`s adage of use the least aggressive possible - what`s the 1st product used? can I do this with my GGDA or do I need my flex (still a bit nervous about this machine on curves like here)....anyone got a schedule I can use?

I was thinking a polishing pad on the flex at 1500 using 501 or UC? or the DA?
    Hi Glen,

Did you wet-sand the color coat with something like 1000 prior to applying the clear to ensure proper adhesion?

Cleaning the surface with something like Dupont Prep-Sol or Klean Strip Prep All is very desirable in order to remove oils, silicone`s, and other contaminates that could interfere with the clear bonding to the color..

Let the clear stand for a few days before you begin sanding and polishing.

Once your ready to finish the panel you`ll want to wet-sand the clear with 1500 and 2000 grit then begin a regiment of compound and polish. You could begin with something more course but better to go slower when wet-sanding.

Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound
    is a great product to begin with.

BobbyG

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

scuffed it with 3000 grit and a clean off of acetone...again, no red so I know it`s got clear...

yeah - I will wet sand again and then start with UC and orange pad, then white or blue pad with 151.......I`m in no hurry, it`s a practice piece (might even leave it off - spoilers on a 4 cyl are a bit boy racer, lol) getting up the guts to use my flex 3403
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Auto Detail & Restoration Concours.John's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

The only problem I see is you just sprayed laquer over urethane without sanding or scuffing the panel.
    You can`t do the opposite because laquer color/clear products are thermo elastic the result would be cracking later on hard surfaces (metal) There are some professional laquer products that do work but they are primer based. Laquer is nice for plastic in one sense that it moves with the expansion and contration. Enamels are catalized therefore requiring a flex additive to prevent shattering on impacts. If you have ever seen a plastic bumper that has been repainted then bumped with paint flaking off you know what I`m talking about.
    There is also not enough clear in that can to provide sufficient film thickness due to atomization and amout of clear that actually hits the panel to do any sanding or heavy polishing. You will need more coats in a light but heavy enough not to run and sufficient flash time in between. High humidity can also cause blushing or fogging.
    I didin`t see if you scuffed the area with such as a scotch bright grey or the like. You may end up with flaking down the road once the laquer fully cures plus shrinks and moves in the sun hense thermo-elastic.

I do however hope this works out for you. I`m just throwing things out from past experience.

Sorry more answers on your sanding while i was writing posted.
    Last edited by Concours.John; 01-29-2012 at 05:10 PM. Reason: new responses to my question
    One day I`ll get to do my own car.
    Concours.John Facebook

Retired Geezer
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Concours.John View Post
    The only problem I see is you just sprayed laquer over urethane without sanding or scuffing the panel.
    You can`t do the opposite because laquer color/clear products are thermo elastic the result would be cracking later on hard surfaces (metal) There are some professional laquer products that do work but they are primer based. Laquer is nice for plastic in one sense that it moves with the expansion and contration. Enamels are catalized therefore requiring a flex additive to prevent shattering on impacts. If you have ever seen a plastic bumper that has been repainted then bumped with paint flaking off you know what I`m talking about.
    There is also not enough clear in that can to provide sufficient film thickness due to atomization and amout of clear that actually hits the panel to do any sanding or heavy polishing. You will need more coats in a light but heavy enough not to run and sufficient flash time in between. High humidity can also cause blushing or fogging.
    I didin`t see if you scuffed the area with such as a scotch bright grey or the like. You may end up with flaking down the road once the laquer fully cures plus shrinks and moves in the sun hense thermo-elastic.

I do however hope this works out for you. I`m just throwing things out from past experience.

Sorry more answers on your sanding while i was writing posted.

Thanks John - yeah I scuffed....and we`ll see how long it looks good. I had a place on the hood where I pulled up the clear and was able to use this same can and get good results about a year ago. Still looks good. I realize the two key things here are getting a good bond and enuf clear on so it can be polished...the minute this part looks bad it`s coming off and over to my body shop friend for a professional re-shot with Sikkens......
    Glen
    21 X2 M35i
    18 300 Xmax

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information