Post Thanks / Like

Question on BF SRC

I just got a Griots 6inch orbital, ordered some Black Fire SRC compound, some finish polish with Lake Country orange,white and black pads to try and get some swirls and light scratchs out. My only problem is living in upstate NY,winters are to cold to wash and clay. The car is very clean with a fresh coat of wet diamond sealent on it. Do you think its ok to just start polishing it as it sits? I`m very eager to make my paint perfect. The Vette is a garage queen that dosnt get driven much. Thanks for the help.
    Steve
    http://

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on BF SRC

assuming you have a heated garage you could always just do an ONR or if it`s already really clean do a WW.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cdoo932 View Post
    I just got a Griots 6inch orbital, ordered some Black Fire SRC compound, some finish polish with Lake Country orange,white and black pads to try and get some swirls and light scratchs out. My only problem is living in upstate NY,winters are to cold to wash and clay. The car is very clean with a fresh coat of wet diamond sealent on it. Do you think its ok to just start polishing it as it sits? I`m very eager to make my paint perfect. The Vette is a garage queen that dosnt get driven much. Thanks for the help.
    Steve
    http://
    Hi Steve, that is a great looking Vette (SWEET, I am a HUGE Vette fan!).

What do you mean by polishing as is?

If it hasn`t been driven since you last washed it then I would recommend (at the very least) using a quick detail spray to make sure the paint is extremely clean prior to polishing. Any dust will contaminate the polishing process and will likely lead to swirl marks (even dust can be abrasive to the paint finish).

I would also recommend testing the paint by touch (after its clean) and claying if necessary.

Check out this thread.

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...our-paint.html

Also what will be the temperature when you plan on polishing?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Todd. By `as it sits` I meant not washing it and claying it first. I washed back in early November and its been in the garage under cover. I put a fresh coat of BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection on it the begining of January and its been back under the cover since. I wash going to use my California Duster on it and start polishing it. I can do a QD on it to make sure its dust free. You think that will be ok as long as the paint is smooth? I have both SRC compound and finish coming that should take off the old wax and sealant.I`ll test with the fiish polish first and see if that gets it done. What do yo think? Oh yea,the garage will be heated.

Post Thanks / Like

Best case it to ONR or at the very least QD it before polishing. If you just applied WD then you may want to clay to help remove that. We were having a discussion the other day as to it being beneficial to remove the sealant before polishing, some say polishes can act funny, gum it, and even take a little longer to cut if you dont strip it. Has this car ever been clayed before? Do a baggie test after you clean the paint. Ill see if I can find that other post about stripping the sealants.

Post Thanks / Like

Here you go OP, have a read through this post

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ppen-if-2.html

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the replys. It was clayed last summer and not driven much.Also never sits outside for any length of time.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by classofshine View Post
    Here you go OP, have a read through this post

http://www.autopiaforums.com/forums/...ppen-if-2.html
    The post that you link to is very informative. Thanks for posting it.
    Current: 2015 Volvo S60 Platinum - Ember Black Metallic

Past: 2011 Jaguar XF Premium - Ebony, Barley/Truffle

Past: 2007 Celestial Blue Metallic C70 T5

Past: 2005 Black Saphire Metallic S60 R

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I would try to ONR it first, follow up with a clay bar. That`s if your place is heated up. From there you can use the BF SRC with a orange pad with your DA to remove the swirls you may have on it, then follow up with a polish using your white and black pad.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Be safe and use a quick detailer before polishing. If you start polishing as is and happen to go over some dirt and it gets trapped between the pad and paint, you risk putting more damage into your paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cdoo932 View Post
    Thanks Todd. By `as it sits` I meant not washing it and claying it first. I washed back in early November and its been in the garage under cover. I put a fresh coat of BLACKFIRE Wet Diamond All Finish Paint Protection on it the begining of January and its been back under the cover since. I wash going to use my California Duster on it and start polishing it. I can do a QD on it to make sure its dust free. You think that will be ok as long as the paint is smooth? I have both SRC compound and finish coming that should take off the old wax and sealant.I`ll test with the fiish polish first and see if that gets it done. What do yo think? Oh yea,the garage will be heated.
    I suppose a wipedown with a Cali-duster would work but I would probably use a qd just to be sure. If you already clayed just inspect the paint (rub your hand over it) and make sure its smooth, then get start polishing. I`m looking forward to the results!

Post Thanks / Like

To see if it actually needs to be clayed again you could use the baggie method to check it.

Thread Information