Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 01 Corvette - Swirls and Scratches

Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads FREE BONUS

This is what I was referring to....I decided to go 5.5" pads though, I think 7 would be a tad too big.

I havent ordered yet because I have been doing some more reading.

Just another quick question...to do the 105, 205, and wax (a guy at work tells me I should do more two/three coats?), all the pads necessary are included in that kit correct? I may be missing a fine fine pad such as red for final step process but thats why I asked here. The last thing I want is to get everything and then realize I dont have everything

And the first snowfall in CT is starting right now so I`m hoping to order this tonight.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M|R View Post
    Meguiars Porter Cable XP Ultra Polish Kit with 5.5 Inch Pads FREE BONUS

This is what I was referring to....I decided to go 5.5" pads though, I think 7 would be a tad too big.
    Good move. 5.5s correct better and are easier to handle, especially for the uninitiated.

I havent ordered yet because I have been doing some more reading.
    Another good move.

Just another quick question...to do the 105, 205, and wax (a guy at work tells me I should do more two/three coats?), all the pads necessary are included in that kit correct? I may be missing a fine fine pad such as red for final step process but thats why I asked here. The last thing I want is to get everything and then realize I dont have everything
    Depends if you want to apply a wax/sealant by machine. IMO, you can apply an LSP with the black pad without penalty.

The real skinny is, you aren`t going to have everything unless you buy everything. Which you`ll probably be doing like the rest of us eventually. If you`re overly concerned buy one of everything, be broke and get it over with now.

As for layering LSPs, that`s been a point of debate forever. Some are of the opinion that layering adds extra protection, others do it in order to insure full and even coverage with no missed spots. Still others are convinced that the look is improved. Personally, I`ve only layered with a carnauba in order to add depth to the high-gloss of 845 on black. If I had it to do over again I`d just go straight to wax and save a step for that application.

Everybody has their own personal favorite tools and products and is ready to recommend them over all others. When getting started if I knew then what I know now I`d buy everything a la carte and get exactly what I preferred (but didn`t know I preferred then). I`d definitely get flat pads vs CCS, I`d definitely buy no pads thicker than 7/8", I`d go with the 5.5 MF DA kit and use D300 on hard Corvette clear, I`d probably use either MF finishing or LC black with 205 to finish. But that`s just me... I don`t pull out the 105 unless I really, really need the cut because it`s dusty and dries out quick and is more difficult to wipe off clean vs the D300/MF that is a joy to use by comparison with comparable results, IMO. You spend more money mixing and matching vs buying a kit but IME getting my tools and products right the first time would have saved years of trial and error, not to mention a chunk of cash.

And the first snowfall in CT is starting right now so I`m hoping to order this tonight.
    Better you than me, bud. It`ll be flying here in the snow belt soon enough.

TL

Post Thanks / Like

Just got my Meguiars PC7424xp kit yesterday. Got 2 "red soft wax pads" as a bonus and some paint sealant and detail "spritz"

The car has been tucked away for over a week now, freshly washed, under a cover. I plan on doing, or starting, this process tonight - just wanted to grab an extra opinion before I go at it...

Clay
    105 (orange ccs pad) trying to decide whether or not I should use the 105, maybe I should just try the 205 and see if that does the trick. I can always go back if needed...
    205 (grey ccs pad) whole car
    Paint sealant (grey ccs OR red soft wax pad incl in kit?)
    Wax (some say grey ccs but I am leaning toward red soft wax pads incl in the kit)

I think what I laid out will really get the torch red to pop. I will post up some before/after pictures when I am done

I also have a Craftsman halogen (I believe) light that a buddy gave me. I have lit it up aimed at my car to try and see the defects when I was at my "evaluating stage", if you will, but I couldnt see anything. Perhaps torch red isnt the best for halogen lights? I plan on setting it up facing our black raven Escalade when I get a chance. Just figured I would ask about this while it was on my mind...

Thank you all. Hope you avoid the snow and storms - this Nor`easter rewarded us without power for 6 days...just got it back.

Post Thanks / Like

Some great advice here as usual!

C5/C6 Corvettes have rock-hard clearcoat, so don`t get discouraged if it takes a lot more effort than you think it will.

I`ve worked on a C5 hood for an hour and it looked like I hadn`t done anything!

C5/C6 paint will require some pressure with an RO machine.

BILL LUSTER
    2010 Corvette GS/Vert 436hp
    See Bill`s Pic`s HERE....

Post Thanks / Like

I use my PC with Surbuf pads on my STS-V that has the same ceramic clear you do with GREAT results.

P.S.- Nice to see you around Bill!!
    2006 Black Raven Cadillac STS-V
    4.4L Northstar Supercharged V8
    459RWHP@5888rpm w/2.4 pulley
    451lbft@4696rpm

Here are my Cars:My Garage
    Here are my Videos:My Videos

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you have a good plan. Always start with the least aggressive in a test spot. I always do two tests spots with two different methods to see which works best

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: 01 Corvette - Swirls and Scratches

t

This area looks like body filler deep sanding scratches. And if there are areas similar areas on the paint you are working on, be careful on not going to strong at it, paint could be damage.
    (because the scratch is beneath the paint film)
    good luck...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information