Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Autopia-CarCare Polish Comparison Chart

Quote Originally Posted by CT3 View Post
    Thanks for the chart Todd!

I guess I can be labeled a newbie as well. I haven`t buffed anything for 15 or so years since I was in high school.

I guess I have a few questions that I should ask:

What machine would you recommend for a newbie? I know there is nothing fool proof but what is the simplest safest machine for me? I`m not looking to do major correction work like deep scratches or anything but rather swirl removal and light polishing. This chart helps because I`ve been trying to figure out what polishes I want to go with. I`ve been leaning towards the.
    Menzerna line, or possibly Meg`s. I plan on picking up a buffer when next spring rolls around so I can get back into it.
    I personally would go with a Random Orbital DA. To me it is a machine that is extremely easy to use and produces really good results right off the bat, but you can also grow with it. As you improve you can get better and better results. Also a lot of new products and technology are being developed for these styles of polishers that continue to make them more and more versatile.

The Griots Garage 6 inch, Meguiars G110v2, and Porter Cable 7424 XP are all fine machines.

Post Thanks / Like

Superb chart Todd.

I think most of us have at one time or another put together a handy reference chart and it`s nice to see one so clean and well thought out!!

BobbyG

Post Thanks / Like

Great work. Very helpful!

Post Thanks / Like

Just a quick update: I will be going through the chart next week or the following to update it with new products.

Post Thanks / Like

not sure how I hadn`t found this in the past

looking forward to the updates. thank you

frankly this is already more updated than a certain other websites polish / compound comparison chart that I typically reference
    Bryan
    Mr. Sparkle Detailing Inc - Owner / Operator
    http://www.mrsparkledetailing.com
    Instagram @MrSparkleDetailing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gurge View Post
    not sure how I hadn`t found this in the past

looking forward to the updates. thank you

frankly this is already more updated than a certain other websites polish / compound comparison chart that I typically reference
    More the reason to hang out here then!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I missed it, but since pad aggressiveness is part of the equation, maybe in the notes you could state the pad type assumed for the different classes of polishes?

But maybe that just gets too confusing or complex.....just a thought. Great chart.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Just a quick update: I will be going through the chart next week or the following to update it with new products.
    I would like to see Mothers/others over-the-counter products added to the list for us newbies. That would be beneficial to me in guiding customers to these products who may want the information.

I`d also like to see clarifications made as to which products use SMAT/DAT technologies.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wax2aMax View Post
    Maybe I missed it, but since pad aggressiveness is part of the equation, maybe in the notes you could state the pad type assumed for the different classes of polishes?

But maybe that just gets too confusing or complex.....just a thought. Great chart.
    Any polish is going to be pad dependent period. I have never used a polish that wasn`t. The goal is to show how each product performs cut wise when compared to others. We could say they are all being applied to by hand with a white foam pad or with a rotary, and while the scale may shift, they will stay relativity in the same spot compared to the other polishes.

Post Thanks / Like

great chart

assuming CG blacklight would be same as Prima amigo

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Helme View Post
    Any polish is going to be pad dependent period. I have never used a polish that wasn`t. The goal is to show how each product performs cut wise when compared to others. We could say they are all being applied to by hand with a white foam pad or with a rotary, and while the scale may shift, they will stay relativity in the same spot compared to the other polishes.
    Yes, the pad is part of the equation...I did not realize all polishes are affected incrementally the same by changing pads types. I know some single polishes can perform as a finishing, med. polishing, or compounding polish by just changing the pad type. But, I wouldn`t use say Menzerna 85RD with a very aggressive pad and expect compounding results...but maybe so?

Anyway, I see what you mean in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, the pad is part of the equation...I did not realize all polishes are affected incrementally the same by changing pads types. I know some single polishes can perform as a finishing, med. polishing, or compounding polish by just changing the pad type. But, I wouldn`t use say Menzerna 85RD with a very aggressive pad and expect compounding results...but maybe so?

I meant to add that some of the SMAT polishes could be exceptions in that they could cross the entire finishing to compounding range by just changing pad type?

The DAT polishes would breakdown with whatever pad, so they might be all similarly affected by pad type. I do see your point.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been working on the updated chart most of the day, I will have it done by the weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

thats what i call an all encompassing chart... great work todd.

Post Thanks / Like

I wouldn`t say that ALL polishes affected the same. If a polish has a total cut of 5 and a wool pad has a cut of 5, it would be great to simply add them together and arrive at a number.

However the polish is dependent on the pad and the pad is dependent on the polish. It is a marriage of sorts. While I took my time with this chart, and IMO, put more thought, testing, and experience into a chart of this nature then I have seen before, the end result will always be rendered "for reference only."

There are so many factors that affect the marriage of a pad and a polish. Do the abrasives attach differently to certain fibers or foams or do they tumble across the surface. An example I would give is a wool pad. Usually, particularly in the days of rock`s n` bottles (grainy;aggressive) compounds, the abrasives would adhere strongly to the wool fiber and wouldn`t break down to well. This was advantageous as you could deliver a huge amount of cutting power but the surface would also be fairly scoured. (The larger abrasives would remain attached to the wool fiber until the became contaminated with residue and dust away).

However some of these compounds would behave much differently on an open cell foam pad, the abrasive would break down, and the surface would be more refined.

Ultimately a chart like this attempts to chart the total cut, all factors being as equal as possible, to provide a hopefully valuable reference. It does not (or cannot) reflect how uniform the polish will leave the surface (finishing ability), rate of cut, or other factors. Instead we are limited to total cut, or amount of material removed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information