Post Thanks / Like

Critique and help with fall prep

My 2010 Taurus SHO tuxedo black is my daily drive.

This spring was the first time I ever used a PC. I follow the advised cleaning method, 2 bucket wash with dawn to strip, clayed, corrected with M205, cyan and tangerine LC hydrotech pads, and then topped with BFWD. I was happy with the results but I have a couple of spots that I need to correct with m105. I maintained since then with the 2 bucket, blow dry the wipe down with optimum spray wax.

This fall I want to spend the weekend prepping for the winter ahead…..
    So my plan is to strip, clay then spot correct with M105, tangerine or cyan pad. Then go over the whole car with M205 on a tangerine pad.
    My next thoughts are to polish with PO85rd or Blackfire gloss enhancing polish on a crimson pad?? Opinions??
    At this point should I do a ipa wipe down then top with a couple of coats of BFWD or something else??
    I am also wondering if I should OptiCoat the whole coat and be done…..since it is a daily drive??

So far I need to purchase….
    8oz bottle of M105, 3 crimson LC hydrotech pads, either 85rd or BF gloss enhancing…and maybe the OptiCoat…
    I am interested in all opinions…and improvments…..
    Thanks..Dave

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critique and help with fall prep

This spring was the first time I ever used a PC. I follow the advised cleaning method, 2 bucket wash with dawn to strip, clayed, corrected with M205, cyan and tangerine LC hydrotech pads, and then topped with BFWD. I was happy with the results but I have a couple of spots that I need to correct with m105. I maintained since then with the 2 bucket, blow dry the wipe down with optimum spray wax.

This fall I want to spend the weekend prepping for the winter ahead…..
    So my plan is to strip, clay then spot correct with M105, tangerine or cyan pad. Then go over the whole car with M205 on a tangerine pad.
    My next thoughts are to polish with PO85rd or Blackfire gloss enhancing polish on a crimson pad?? Opinions??
    The first part of your plan sounds great. As far as what finishing polish/last step polish you choose will depend on what route you are going for. Gloss Enhancing Polish and PO85rd are two different products that do have some overlap. If you are going to go with Blackfire Wet Diamond, then I would use Gloss Enhancing Polish as it is an excellent preparatory step and will help you get maximum durability. If you are going with Opti-Coat then I would use Menzerna PO85rd, it is more of an abrasive polish and it will let you level the paint to a higher gloss. If you wanted to go for the ultimate in gloss with Blackfire you could use PO85rd to final polish and then top it with Gloss Enhancing Polish to prep the paint for Wet Diamond.

At this point should I do a ipa wipe down then top with a couple of coats of BFWD or something else??
    If you are going with Wet Diamond you don`t need an IPA wipedown after either finishing product. Menzerna PO85rd does have the potenital to mask some light defects, but this isn`t a bad thing on a daily driver and Wet Diamond will bond to it fine. On the other hand Gloss Enhancing Polish will prepare the paint for Wet Diamond so wiping the paint down after this step would move you backwards. If it where my car and I was going for the absolute best result I would go with M105/M205 (doing wipedowns after this step) then use PO85rd to go for maximum gloss. Then I would apply Gloss Enhancing Polish (which will remove any residual oils from PO85rd and prep the paint).

I am also wondering if I should OptiCoat the whole coat and be done…..since it is a daily drive??
    Using Opti-Coat is a viable option but you will never `be done`. Opti-Coat is like adding a permanent wax protection to your paint, in that your paint (underneath the Opti-Coat) will be protected but the Opti-Coat itself will need to be maintained by frequent washing, cleaning, and the occasional claying. I would even recommend picking up some Optimum Spray Wax and wiping the car with this once a month just to help maintain the coating.

Also, once you apply the Opti-Coat your paint is `locked-in`. So make sure you are 100 percent happy with the condition of the paint before applying. If you choose to go the Opti-Coat route you will want to wipe the paint down several times with IPA to make sure no polish remains and you are going straight to a clean surface. I would not use Blackfire Gloss Enhancing Polish in this example.

So far I need to purchase….
    8oz bottle of M105, 3 crimson LC hydrotech pads, either 85rd or BF gloss enhancing…and maybe the OptiCoat…
    I am interested in all opinions…and improvments…..
    Thanks..Dave
    I hope I helped!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Critique and help with fall prep

Thanks Todd

With no real experience in detailing I am a little hesitant to use Opticoat for the fear of not being completely happy with my prep....on a black car…..So I think I’ll skip that idea…..
    I might try the Opticoat on my wife`s pearl white....

If it where my car and I was going for the absolute best result I would go with M105/M205 (doing wipedowns after this step) then use PO85rd to go for maximum gloss. Then I would apply Gloss Enhancing Polish (which will remove any residual oils from PO85rd and prep the paint).
    Would the crimson hydrotech pads be ok for both the po85rd and the BF gloss enhancing polish and how many for each process? Trying to figure out what pads to buy....and how many....

Thanks...Dave

Thread Information