Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Shurhold DA Polisher

I found a ton of these on ebay. The price is right on them, but Ive never heard of them. Just wondering if anyone has one or knows anything about them.
    Shurhold Dual Action Polisher - eBay (item 250638129939 end time Jun-22-10 13:27:36 PDT)

Heres their commercial
    YouTube - Dual Action Polisher - Commercial

Acrylic Paint Conditioner Gus-Gus's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shurhold DA Polisher

Did a bit of googling and apparently its a big hit with boat detailers..

here is a link for one cheaper..

Shurhold Dual Action Polisher`::`Cleaning`::`Winterizing`::`Fishing Tackle, Marine Supply & Outdoor Gear
    "One day you will have to stop being a Muppet...So take the hand out of yer butt and walk for yourself."

Claying does not mean "High end". It means quality/caring. So would actually learning a trade instead of "Hey I can wash and wax a car, so I`ma gonna be a detailer."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I might have to give one of these a try.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=mrclean81;313085]Thanks. I might have to give one of these a try.[/QUOTE
    AMAZON has them at $130

The Man Who Knows The Man
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn`t go to the Shurhold site to look closely at the specs of the machine or how and if the backing plate can be changed for different sizes of pads etc. But, from purely a cost perspective, it appears that the Porter Cable available here wins out even before the DC forum discount is applied.

Porter cable 7424xp, 7424xp, Porter Cable 7424XP Dual Action Polisher, Porter Cable polisher, car polisher, buffer, sander-polisher
    "If you get to thinkin` you`re a person of some influence, try orderin` somebody else`s dog around."
    --Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like

For the Shurhold:

Electrical Specs
    Rated Voltage: 120V AC
    Frequency: 60Hz
    Rated Current: 4.2 Amp
    Rated Power: 500 Watt

Mechanical Specs
    Variable Speed: 2,500-6,500 OPM
    Backing Plate: 125 - 150mm ( 5" - 6" )
    Pad size: 140 -150mm (5.5" - 6")
    Net Weight: 2.2kgs (4.8Lbs)
    Power Cord: 20feet w/ GFCI

Speed Chart
    6-Speed Settings:

Recommended speeds are as follows:
    1 : 2500 OPM Waxing & Buffing
    2 : 3200 OPM Waxing & Buffing
    3 : 3900 OPM Polishing & Cleaning
    4 : 4600 OPM Polishing & Cleaning
    5 : 5500 OPM Removing paint defects and Swirls
    6 : 6500 OPM Removing paint defects and Swirls

For the PC 7424:

* Amps: 4.5
    * No Load Speed: Electronic variable speed 2,500-6,800 opm
    * Spindle Thread: Accepts 5/16 - 24
    * Gear Drive: Spiral Bevel
    * Wheel Diameter: 6 inches
    * Length: 11 1/2 inches
    * Net weight: 5 3/4 lbs.
    * Counterweight pre-installed
    * Standard Equipment: Polisher, polishing pad #54745, wrench #48779, side handle, and operating manual
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty close, although it looks like the PC has it beat by a smidge in both OPM and amperage.

The Shurhold - from their site - looks like it comes with a canvas bag, which the PC doesn`t.

In my opinion, the Shurhold looks a lot like a rebranded PC.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    Pretty close, although it looks like the PC has it beat by a smidge in both OPM and amperage.

The Shurhold - from their site - looks like it comes with a canvas bag, which the PC doesn`t.

In my opinion, the Shurhold looks a lot like a rebranded PC.
    Shurhold looks a lot like a Griots polisher, though the Griots one sure seems to have a whole lot more power behind it.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the great input. I`m kinda new to polishers as I`ve always been a rotary guy. I have an old PC that I got on Ebay but its worn out and just don`t have the power I`m looking for. I`m really close to just buying a Flex, but if I spend 400 bucks on more equipment, I`m prob gonna end up in divorce court lol. I`ve also looked at the Griots polisher but just like the Shurhold, I would like to hear from someone who owns one.

Post Thanks / Like

I can tell you between all you`ve mentioned, I`d go with the Flex hands down.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JaredPointer View Post
    I can tell you between all you`ve mentioned, I`d go with the Flex hands down.
    Thanks for the advise. I hope things work out well enough this summer that i can go ahead and get the Flex. If they are as good as everyone says they are, Im sure it would be a good investment.

Post Thanks / Like

shurhold has a direct to detailer program for those who detail boats and RV`s. they offer a nice discount and their brushes/handles are top notch. if you call them direct to set up and account, let them know DirtBusters referred you. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I`m in the minority, I had a Flex DA and that was just about the worst tool I`ve ever used. I traded it and I have to say, for me - the happiest days of Flex was the day I got it and the day I shipped it off! Why? I see you tapping your chin and scratching your head, well, it`s got this stupid counter clockwise rotation that might be great if you`re left handed or able to read Korean underwater at night with dim flashlight.

I can run a rotary all day on 1964 Imperial with my daughter playing Justin Bieber (barf) at 117 decibels through my bizillion watt stereo and never complain, but 10 minutes with that Flex and I`m ready to tear somebody`s head off.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Maybe I`m in the minority, I had a Flex DA and that was just about the worst tool I`ve ever used. I traded it and I have to say, for me - the happiest days of Flex was the day I got it and the day I shipped it off!
    You aren`t the only one, I didn`t care for the 3401 at all. Love my 3403 rotary, GG 6" & PC but the lack of different sized backing plates was a deal breaker for me.

TL

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat View Post
    Maybe I`m in the minority, I had a Flex DA and that was just about the worst tool I`ve ever used. I traded it and I have to say, for me - the happiest days of Flex was the day I got it and the day I shipped it off! Why? I see you tapping your chin and scratching your head, well, it`s got this stupid counter clockwise rotation that might be great if you`re left handed or able to read Korean underwater at night with dim flashlight.

I can run a rotary all day on 1964 Imperial with my daughter playing Justin Bieber (barf) at 117 decibels through my bizillion watt stereo and never complain, but 10 minutes with that Flex and I`m ready to tear somebody`s head off.
    Quote Originally Posted by TLMitchell View Post
    You aren`t the only one, I didn`t care for the 3401 at all. Love my 3403 rotary, GG 6" & PC but the lack of different sized backing plates was a deal breaker for me.

TL
    never noticed that the Flex went counter clock wise until you mentioned it .. but again I`m left handed I was hesitent at first to get the Flex but I have had no trouble adjusting to it. Yes, i can get more work done faster with a rotary if i am cutting, but to get a better finish I prefer the PC after the rotary as it leaves a better finish.
    The Flex does the work of both, but if you are very schooled with a rotary there is not much of a chance you will like the Flex 3401 better, especially if you want to use multiple size backing plates and pads.
    I would say for a beginner with no rotary experience, the Flex 3401 would be an easier transition from a PC to get more correction.
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information