Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Time to give up the PC?

Guys, i have used a pc on my peronal cars for about 5 years. I simply apply polishes to it. I remove by hand. I have a black bmw x3 now and I cant get the swirls out. I have tried several different methods. I have LC white/orange/ and black. I even have the 4" spot buff pads, white and yellow. I have tried Poorboys SSR 2.5 and some other off the shelf brands. I always like the poorboys because it was easy on and easy off. Its about 3 years old so I dont know if its lost it cutting ability or what. I heard the paint was very soft on the bmw`s so I dont get it. DO I need to use another method, or just risk the chance of burning the paint with a rotary because I have never used one? I am open to all suggestions.
    2008 Black Sap. Bmw 535i Speed
    2008 Jet Black Bmw X3 3.0 si
    email bimmerclubnc@gmail.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Time to give up the PC?

Not sure your current method with the PC but I just used mine yesterday with the orange pad and PB 2.5 and took out some pretty good scratches in the used car I purchased. The key with the PC is small section slow and steady.

How much presure are you applying?
    Hudd`s Mobile Auto Detailing
    "At Your Door Auto Care"

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 00GREENMACHINE View Post
    Guys, i have used a pc on my peronal cars for about 5 years. I simply apply polishes to it. I remove by hand. I have a black bmw x3 now and I cant get the swirls out. I have tried several different methods. I have LC white/orange/ and black. I even have the 4" spot buff pads, white and yellow. I have tried Poorboys SSR 2.5 and some other off the shelf brands. I always like the poorboys because it was easy on and easy off. Its about 3 years old so I dont know if its lost it cutting ability or what. I heard the paint was very soft on the bmw`s so I dont get it. DO I need to use another method, or just risk the chance of burning the paint with a rotary because I have never used one? I am open to all suggestions.
    After dealing with Ronkh`s black Beemer for the last few years we came to the conclusion that a different approach was needed ... we used Pro Polish with PC and or a Flex and the paint cleaned up much better than using a mechanical polish like the SSR`s ..
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Poorboy View Post
    After dealing with Ronkh`s black Beemer for the last few years we came to the conclusion that a different approach was needed ... we used Pro Polish with PC and or a Flex and the paint cleaned up much better than using a mechanical polish like the SSR`s ..

will I have the same result with the pc?

Post Thanks / Like

I would also question what your expectations are for the results. You can get great results with a PC if you take your time but if you are working towards perfect paint, your going to need something like a rotary, That`s my take on the two machines
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt it`s the PC. It may just be finding the right combination of product and pads. I recently switched from a polishing system with 6.5 pads that I had zero luck with. I recently picked up the Wolfgang twins and the LC pads at AG`s clinic. Bam...the magic happened. I would recommend experimenting with different polishes to find what works best. Ask the Audi and Corvette guys what they use. Their clears are as hard as diamonds.The PC is a great little machine so dont give up. Patience grasshopper.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerboy View Post
    I would also question what your expectations are for the results. You can get great results with a PC if you take your time but if you are working towards perfect paint, your going to need something like a rotary, That`s my take on the two machines
    yea, I just want to have paint that does not have swirls. Maybe I need to pay someone 100-150 to get the paint repaired and then just maintain it.

what risk do I take getting a rotary? I have used the pc for about 7 years. Mostly putting on polishes. I always remove it bt hand.

Post Thanks / Like

yea, I just want to have paint that does not have swirls. Maybe I need to pay someone 100-150 to get the paint repaired and then just maintain it.

what risk do I take getting a rotary? I have used the pc for about 7 years. Mostly putting on polishes. I always remove it bt hand.
    A rotary or even a flex will get you better results in much less time than a PC.

Its takes some practice to learn how to use one, but with 7 years using a PC your well on your way to using a rotary.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

will I have the same result with the pc?

yes, i`ve worked the PP with a pc on your black finish and it does take more time than a rotary, but if you are not comfortable with a rotary, the pc will do the job, you just need more patience (ps I would do it with a white polishing pad, not a cutting pad as you will marr that BMW finish
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

or get black hole.
    You have activated my special ability....

Post Thanks / Like

PP
    flex
    white pad.

Is it jet black or black sappire metallic? year?
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

If it`s Jet Black it`s got soft clear. I had a whirl with Ron`s Jet Black Beemer one day and it took me nearly 2 hours to dial in a good Process to get good results without inducing more swirls. It was like learning to polish paint all over again. Treat it very delicately and you should get better results. If it`s Black Sapphire Metallic I would suggest getting Some SYN 1 from Poorboy`s to start then finish down with SSR1.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronkh View Post
    PP
    flex
    white pad.

Is it jet black or black sappire metallic? year?
    Its jet black 2008 model. I figured it had a soft clear. Do I need the PC on 6? Whats the difference in the FLEX and PC?

I tried the turtle wax black polish that was suppose to hide swirls and it did nothing. Will the black hole actually hide the visable swirls?

Post Thanks / Like

Its jet black 2008 model. I figured it had a soft clear. Do I need the PC on 6? Whats the difference in the FLEX and PC?

I tried the turtle wax black polish that was suppose to hide swirls and it did nothing. Will the black hole actually hide the visable swirls?
    Flex is alot more powerfull. Example: When you put weight on a pc it boggs down. Flex will not, it has "forced rotation". The flex has almost put my pc out of business. Actually what I have done is get a small backing plate for pc so I can use smaller pads for tight areas.

If you want to see what black hole looks like, go look for a thread of mine called "its a cover up" (or something like that).

Asking a question like; "will it hide my swirls?" is like asking "what kind of mileage will I get?" So "your mileage may vary."
    Formerly the "Best Detailer", now just Super Wax Waster Man. Not necessarily tactful, but normally right. It`s good to be da King !!!

Post Thanks / Like

The PC will do the job...it just comes down to how much time do you want to put in. For example yesterday I did a section on the front fender of my Black Acura TL, which I have come to discover has a soft clear...or at least it seems that way. I took my PC an orange compressor pad and some Wolfgang 3.0 and wen over the area in a slow fashion with just enough pressure to keep the PC spinning and when I was done the finish was perfect and all of the marks were gone. I followed it up with some BH and Nattys Red. So it did work the problem is it took awhile just to do that small section.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information