Post Thanks / Like

Need help with pads for my new buffer

Long story short, I`ve worked my way up from hands washes and waxes to finally purchasing a random orbital buffer. I know, it`s a "wax spreader", but I need to do the best I can with what I can afford. I`m saving for a DA or Cyclo but funds are limited as I`m a college student. Detailing by day and bartending by night is paying my tuition. Soon, I`d like to leave the bar and go full-time.

I promise I am no going around undercutting professionals so please don`t hate. I`d love to be on ya`lls level and learn as much as I can from this forum. I work for a lot of the xxxx customers ya`ll don`t want . I understand that this is my place in our industry until I can provide professional quality work.

So now for my question, with my 6" r.o.b., what bonnets can I use to compound with? I`ve found good ones for polishing and waxing but none for those with paint in poor condition. This isn`t a 7-series needing paint correction, it`s a `93 Accord needing paint correction to aid in a sale. Work with me guys...

In series, I use Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound, SwirlX, and then their Carnuba wax or Tech Wax 2.0. Any thoughts about these products?

Thanks very much for the input

-Dustin

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Need help with pads for my new buffer

You know what - this forum does this to me all the time when I`ve got a long-ass answer typed out. Hit post reply, and VANISH. It`s gone.... DC, I`m giving you the bird right about now...

In a nutshell:

You can correct with these RO`s, it just takes a long time.
    Don`t expect miracles.
    You have a good attitude, keep it up.
    Terry and MF are the only real bonnet choices I`d suggest (terry for correction).
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes use the terry (usually they are white) Don`t get discouraged with the amount of correction that will come with a R.O.B.. You will get little to none, they just don`t move fast enough to correct paint. You may actually do more bad than good with one trying to correct, if you use too heavy of a compound with it, it may leave compound marks that the machine is too weak to get out, make sure you use something really light so that won`t be an issue...I suggest doing 4 or 5 wax jobs to help put money towards a Porter Cable. Best of luck!
    D-Trick Detailing
    Missed a spot!

"Luck" Residue of design tuscarora dave's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

You may find some interest in this thread that I linked, it shows some correction results that some guys achieved while "testing / playing around" (thread title) with a wax spreader. They used a foam bonnet from Detailer`s Choice which I know nothing about where to obtain. Just thought this might help you out. TD

A little testing/playing around! - Car Care Forums: Meguiar`s Online

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the input guys. Yeah I read through that forum and was impressed. I can`t find foam bonnets for a 6" anywhere but I went ahead and used the terry as Jared pointed out and results were somewhat satisfying. I removed the pins from a black `06 Jetta and went ahead and used Meguiar`s Ultimate Compound. Looked great after the polish and wax but I know it didn`t come out as well as a DA could do.
    A lot of fine scratches were removed and deeper scratches were blended more. I`ll have to take pics with the next one. Is the SwirlX a good polish or is there one I could get better clarity with? I still see a lot of fine dots everywhere. What are these?

Post Thanks / Like

SwirlX is comparable to M205, or so I read. It`s the flavor of the month (or it has been for a bit now, anyway).

Fine dots? Could be IFO (fall out) and needs claying or a decon system.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Post Thanks / Like

If you want to buy polishing pads for your polisher you can get them here.

10" Foam Polishing Bonnet 10A420

Thread Information