Post Thanks / Like

Question Question: Hand or tool?

New guy here, been lurking awhile but I recently purchased a "new-to-me" car and would like to see about keeping it looking new so I figured it was time to ask some questions.

How do you prefer to apply car wax? By hand or tool?

I have an older orbital that I`ve used to remove wax in the past, Can I use this to apply it as well?
    What kind of bonnet should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance, so far, I`ve learned a great deal from the many threads here.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question: Hand or tool?

Quote Originally Posted by Norsican View Post
    New guy here, been lurking awhile but I recently purchased a "new-to-me" car and would like to see about keeping it looking new so I figured it was time to ask some questions.

How do you prefer to apply car wax? By hand or tool?

I have an older orbital that I`ve used to remove wax in the past, Can I use this to apply it as well?
    What kind of bonnet should I be looking for?

Thanks in advance, so far, I`ve learned a great deal from the many threads here.

Welcome to the site from Sonoma County!

If its a paste wax its by hand with a foam applicator...liquid wax you could use your PC..with a finishing pad...or by hand as well.
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

AMG Classic Car Detailing Old Pirate's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I always do my waxing by hand.
    AutopiaForums is the place to be.
    Remember to Shop Autopia-CarCare.com for your Detailing Needs!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks,
    I`m looking at trying the Meguiars NXT2.0 Liquid. (and advantage/disadvantage over using the liquid or paste?)

If I apply by hand, what kind of pad should I be looking for?

If I am planning to remove the wax using the orbital should I be looking for MF bonnets or stay with 100% cotton terrycloth?

Post Thanks / Like

You`d apply and remove NXT by hand. It has no real cleaners in it, so you`ll want to use Meguiar`s or Mother`s Step 1 products first.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Norsican View Post
    Thanks,
    I`m looking at trying the Meguiars NXT2.0 Liquid. (and advantage/disadvantage over using the liquid or paste?)

If I apply by hand, what kind of pad should I be looking for?

If I am planning to remove the wax using the orbital should I be looking for MF bonnets or stay with 100% cotton terrycloth?
    When you say bonnet I get the feeling that you are not talking about a orbital buffer...or what we think of when you say orbital...like Porter Cable for instance.

To remove wax...polish is what you need...either MF or cotton will do the job...as for the liquid wax over paste...paste can be layered...liquid really can`t because it has a high amount of solvents in it...that`s the liquid part, so the solvents sort of cancel out the layering part
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Chances are the polisher you have is one that a bonnet goes over a foam backing plate. Those bonnets can be several different materials.
    They usually supply a terry cloth bonnet with a plastic liner for applying wax and you could use either a MF bonnet or a Terry cloth bonnet for removal.

Personally, I would give the polisher to a friend and apply and remove the NXT 2.0 by hand. I had one and did just that.

If the paint is in good shape to start with, you will probably be OK with using a foam applicator pad to apply it and a MF towel to remove it.
    If the paint isn`t in the best of shape, some sort of prep would be a good idea before the NXT 2.0. The Meguiar`s ColorX works pretty good by hand.
    If you read and follow the instructions on whatever product you use, it will probably recommend what applicator to use.

If you do one section with the NXT 2.0 and take a look at it, you should be able to tell if you will be satisfied with doing the entire vehicle with just that product. Many people are.
    Good luck and enjoy.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Looks like I`ll be doing it by hand then. No Issue there as it`s a relatively small car to what I`m used to doing.

What kind of Foam applicator am I looking for? Are all of them created equal?
    What about the MF towel?
    The paint is in great condition, No obvious Swirls or marring. The previous guy took care or it so I`m not into the polishers or preppers.
    Or should I be?

I know I should clay, And I do plan on getting a Kit and trying my hand at it towards the end of the season. Anythintg I can do to protect it beyond that?
    Should I also be looking at a Glaze as a

Thread Information