Post Thanks / Like

PC 7336 - Needs new bearings....

I saw Don`s post on replacing bearings in a PC buffer/polisher and was wondering if you can do the same thing to a 7336?

My brother-in-law gave me a PC 7336 buffer/polisher (IIRC, it`s a random orbit model). Right away I had to have a wire replaced in it. I have since then used it to polish out headlights (using Novus Plastic Polish) and to do some sanding work.

Now the unit makes a strange grinding noise. I pulled the head apart to find a bad bearing.

Could I just replace that bearing (by getting it from a bearing shop) or do I have to replace the entire shaft. This bearing is on the backside of the polishing head, near the gears that transfers power from the motor to the head.

For that matter, should I even fix this thing, or just buy a different polisher? I want to keep using it for headlights and such, but want to also start using it to maintain the finish on my truck....

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC 7336 - Needs new bearings....

Quote Originally Posted by neonhomer View Post
    I saw Don`s post on replacing bearings in a PC buffer/polisher and was wondering if you can do the same thing to a 7336?
    Yes!
    PC, (Porter-Cable), 7424, 7335, 7336 are all basically the same machine.

Quote Originally Posted by neonhomer
    My brother-in-law gave me a PC 7336 buffer/polisher (IIRC, it`s a random orbit model). Right away I had to have a wire replaced in it. I have since then used it to polish out headlights (using Novus Plastic Polish) and to do some sanding work.

Now the unit makes a strange grinding noise. I pulled the head apart to find a bad bearing.

Could I just replace that bearing (by getting it from a bearing shop) or do I have to replace the entire shaft. This bearing is on the backside of the polishing head, near the gears that transfers power from the motor to the head.
    I haven`t read Don`s thread, but it is likely you can purchase a bearing and just replace the bearing. In the unlikely event that it is pressed on the shaft you mention, you can probably get a machine shop to remove the old bearing and press a new one on for not very much money.

Quote Originally Posted by neonhomer
    For that matter, should I even fix this thing, or just buy a different polisher? I want to keep using it for headlights and such, but want to also start using it to maintain the finish on my truck....
    Absolutely! It is a very handy piece of equipment to own.

Charles

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    I haven`t read Don`s thread, but it is likely you can purchase a bearing and just replace the bearing. In the unlikely event that it is pressed on the shaft you mention, you can probably get a machine shop to remove the old bearing and press a new one on for not very much money.
    After reading Don`s bearing replacement thread, it appears that he replaced the spindle and bearing as a complete unit. That doesn`t necessarily mean that the bearing can`t be replaced by itself, though.
    I think I would take the spindle and bearing assembly with me to a bearing supply house and see what they offer as suggestions.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Problem is, I can`t find the book for this thing. I know I have it somewhere, but I have lost it. PC`s website is no help, it just says to call customer service....

Anyone have a PDF copy of the manual for the 7336 or one of it`s siblings???

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Problem is, I can`t find the book for this thing. I know I have it somewhere, but I have lost it. PC`s website is no help, it just says to call customer service....

Anyone have a PDF copy of the manual for the 7336 or one of it`s siblings???
    I have the manual and a parts breakdown.
    If you have access to a fax machine, I could send you the parts diagram and list.
    Send me a PM with the fax number if you decide you want to do that.
    It does appear that they do sell the spindle and bearing as an assembly.

If the customer service number is toll free, why not give them a call. Or call on a cell phone with free long distance. They might be able to either get you the information or refer you to someplace that could help.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Here ya go fellas PC 7336

there also a pdf file..

another day another dollar

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: PC 7336 - Needs new bearings....

Quote Originally Posted by Djmigs View Post
    Here ya go fellas PC 7336

there also a pdf file..

Thanks!
    The page is bookmarked.
    I don`t need anything right now, but I probably will at some time.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Cool! Now I need to tear the thing apart again and see what part I need exactly...

BTW - I had to have the unit serviced a while back. When I did, the guy told me that the speed switch might be going out, and it costs around $60 to replace, and that was just the cost of the part... According to that site, it`s under $20!!! WTF?

Post Thanks / Like

Your Fellas
    glad i can help!!!

another day another dollar

Post Thanks / Like

I need to get home so I can order these parts.... two trips to Miami and my truck is nasty...

Thread Information