Post Thanks / Like

Which LC pads should I get? Soft paint..

The paint/clear coat is really soft from what I hear/seems. I have a light to medium swirls.

What pads should I get? Using this with a PC 7424.

thanks!

FORGOT TO ADD, only Lake Country pads, for now. I am going to pick these up locally and these are all they carry.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Which LC pads should I get? Soft paint..

What makes you think your paint is soft? What car or truck are you working on? Typically "soft" paints that swirl easily are also easier to correct. A couple white polishing pads would be fine. A black finishing pad with your final polish would give you that little extra step to your finish. You could then apply your final wax or sealant by hand.

Quality microfiber towels would probably be more important than pad selection if your paint swirls or mars easily.
    "The trouble is that you think you have time." - Jack Kornfeld

Post Thanks / Like

Use a polishing pad and then determine what polish to use along with it.

Make a few passes with a less aggressive combo if you are concerned about soft paint.

"J"

Post Thanks / Like

I also find soft paint easier to work with as far as removing defects found in the paint. If you truely have soft paint and its swirling easily you may want to look into how your are washing and drying the car.
    I like beer. On occasion I will even drink a beer to celebrate a major event such as the fall of communism or the fact that our refrigerator is still working.

Stephan`s Detailing
    Portland CT.

XBox Live - mr detailer

Post Thanks / Like

What make and year is your car?

Post Thanks / Like

This is for a friends car but its a 07 Civic. It seems the RSX paint is the same, not sure about the other `newer` Hondas.

So,

-1 white (#9)
    -1 black (polish/glaze)
    -1 blue (final wax) or by hand?

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

The pad colors vary as to what they are intended for so going by the pad`s intended use, my suggestions.

You evidently already have #83 and #9.

1. I would start with #9 and a polishing pad.

2. Then #83 with a polishing pad, but only where it is needed would be next for me. I have never needed to use #83 on an entire vehicle. You might need to go over some of the areas where you use #83 with the #9 again.

3. If for some reason you want to also use a polish/glaze, it would be next with another polishing pad. I personally think the finish should be ready for your wax after the #9.

4. The final wax could be with a polishing pad, a finishing pad or by hand. The waxes I use are so easy to apply and remove that I very seldom use the PC for anything but polishing.

If you need to buy some polish and want to stay with the Meguiar`s, #80 does a great job for me. Removes most flaws with a polishing pad and leaves the finish ready for your wax.

As a reference, on Meguiar`s scale of aggressiveness from 0 to 10.
    #83 is a 6. For me, it will sometimes leave a paint for wax, but not always.
    #9 is a 3 and leaves the paint ready for wax.

#80 is a 4 and also leaves the paint ready for wax.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    The pad colors vary as to what they are intended for so going by the pad`s intended use, my suggestions.

You evidently already have #83 and #9.

2. Then #83 with a polishing pad, but only where it is needed would be next for me. I have never needed to use #83 on an entire vehicle. You might need to go over some of the areas where you use #83 with the #9 again.

3. If for some reason you want to also use a polish/glaze, it would be next with another polishing pad. I personally think the finish should be ready for your wax after the #9.

4. The final wax could be with a polishing pad, a finishing pad or by hand. The waxes I use are so easy to apply and remove that I very seldom use the PC for anything but polishing.

If you need to buy some polish and want to stay with the Meguiar`s, #80 does a great job for me. Removes most flaws with a polishing pad and leaves the finish ready for your wax.

As a reference, on Meguiar`s scale of aggressiveness from 0 to 10.
    #83 is a 6. For me, it will sometimes leave a paint for wax, but not always.
    #9 is a 3 and leaves the paint ready for wax.

#80 is a 4 and also leaves the paint ready for wax.
    Great post! But yeah, looks like I`m going to have to use Meguiars Pads now since they stop carrying LC.

My trunk lid has is the worse spot.

So,

1. #83 on trunk lid only another W-8006 pad
    2. #9 with W-8006 pad
    3. #80, light coat, (maybe even ColorX?) Another W-8006 pad
    4. I might go with a Sealant like #20 or #21 with W-9006 pad or just Wax (NXT) by hand

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfw View Post
    Great post! But yeah, looks like I`m going to have to use Meguiars Pads now since they stop carrying LC.
    The Meg`s pads are not bad at all. I probably have 8 or 10 of them and have no real complaints. I did rip the Velcro part way off one, but I was able to reglue it. It may have been my fault for getting in too big of a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by dfw
    My trunk lid has is the worse spot.

So,

1. #9 with W-8006 pad
    2. #83 on trunk lid only another W-8006 pad
    3. #80, light coat, (maybe even ColorX?) Another W-8006 pad
    4. I might go with a Sealant like #20 or #21 with W-9006 pad or just Wax (NXT) by hand
    If you have #80, I would use it in place of the #9. By using #80, you may not need the #83 at all. Your reference to "light coat" with #80 makes me think you are expecting the #80 to leave something on the paint. It doesn`t, it just polishes. After using it, you should be ready for your #21 or NXT.
    So, given the new mix of products, here`s a new mix of process.
    1. #80 with a polishing pad. It will take out a lot of flaws, but it does take some time when using a PC.
    2. #83 with another polishing pad only where and if needed.
    3. #80 again where you used the #83. Again, if needed. Quite often #83 will finish ready for the wax.
    4. #21 or the NXT by hand since both are very easy on and off.

I did a detail on a friends 2005 Black Saturn Vue that had several parking lot door scuffs. He actually thought the paint was gone. With #80, a polishing pad and some time, I was able to clean them up. I then followed up with liquid NXT Tech Wax with a polishing pad to take advantage of the cleaning/polishing capabilities of the NXT. If I was doing it again, I think I would apply the NXT by hand. I`m not 100% sold on the advantage of using the PC for the last step product.
    Anyway, two products, two pads, two steps and it looked great.

Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesW View Post
    The Meg`s pads are not bad at all. I probably have 8 or 10 of them and have no real complaints. I did rip the Velcro part way off one, but I was able to reglue it. It may have been my fault for getting in too big of a hurry.

If you have #80, I would use it in place of the #9. By using #80, you may not need the #83 at all. Your reference to "light coat" with #80 makes me think you are expecting the #80 to leave something on the paint. It doesn`t, it just polishes. After using it, you should be ready for your #21 or NXT.
    So, given the new mix of products, here`s a new mix of process.
    1. #80 with a polishing pad. It will take out a lot of flaws, but it does take some time when using a PC.
    2. #83 with another polishing pad only where and if needed.
    3. #80 again where you used the #83. Again, if needed. Quite often #83 will finish ready for the wax.
    4. #21 or the NXT by hand since both are very easy on and off.

I did a detail on a friends 2005 Black Saturn Vue that had several parking lot door scuffs. He actually thought the paint was gone. With #80, a polishing pad and some time, I was able to clean them up. I then followed up with liquid NXT Tech Wax with a polishing pad to take advantage of the cleaning/polishing capabilities of the NXT. If I was doing it again, I think I would apply the NXT by hand. I`m not 100% sold on the advantage of using the PC for the last step product.
    Anyway, two products, two pads, two steps and it looked great.
    Well I was planning on picking up the #80 and #20 or 21, I only have #83,#9 and the NXT.

Will the #9 be good enough to not have to use a polish (ie:#80 or ColorX)?

I think I`m going to apply the NXT by hand, so I can save money on more pads

I`ll get a picture on Sunday when it stops raining and I can get a quick wash in so capture the swirls better on camera.

The Rainmaker
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfw View Post
    Well I was planning on picking up the #80 and #20 or 21, I only have #83,#9 and the NXT.
    The #9, #83, NXT should be all you really need. #80 comes in a 32 oz. bottle and 32 oz. will last a looong time.

Will the #9 be good enough to not have to use a polish (ie:#80 or ColorX)?
    IMO, yes.

I think I`m going to apply the NXT by hand, so I can save money on more pads
    Nothing wrong with that.

Given what you presently have, back to what I suggested a few posts back.

Don`t make it more complicated than it needs to be.
    #9, #83 where needed, NXT. Done.

By the time you are ready to do it again, you will probably have lots more pads and lots more products.
    This will get the job done with what you have now.

Charles

Thread Information