Post Thanks / Like

PC 7424 seems very week. Counter Balance?

Hi gents,

Just used my 7424 for the first time today and it seems VERY weak. I started on my hood and this thing was "stalling" out on 5 without me putting any pressure on it. The weight of the machine is enough to make it stall out.

So my questions is, I am using 6" pads on a 5" backing plate and the counter balance says "do not use more than 5" pad".

So I guess my question is, is it just the counter balance making it do this or is this machine toast.

Also, the machine gets extremely hot when operating.

Thanks for any insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: PC 7424 seems very week. Counter Balance?

it sounds to me that you need to go to the 5 inch pad, I know that when I run the smaller pads on mine the unit runs allot faster, if I have a 6 inch pad I have to lift up on the machine to get a good spin...you have to much surface area to move and that`s what is making the unit get hot IMO
    Old Enough To Know Better, Too Stupid To Care....

Dave`s Detailing
    Sonoma County, CA

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBahn View Post
    Hi gents,

Just used my 7424 for the first time today and it seems VERY weak. I started on my hood and this thing was "stalling" out on 5 without me putting any pressure on it. The weight of the machine is enough to make it stall out.

So my questions is, I am using 6" pads on a 5" backing plate and the counter balance says "do not use more than 5" pad".

So I guess my question is, is it just the counter balance making it do this or is this machine toast.

Also, the machine gets extremely hot when operating.

Thanks for any insight.
    The 6" pad should not stall out or get too hot...I`ve used 7.5" pads with both 5 & 6 counterweights and have had no problems.

It sounds like the backing plate might not be clearing the PC. Depending on the backing plate you have, you might need to put the washer that came with the PC to supply adequate clearance.

See if there is clearance between the backing plate and PC...also rotate the backing plate, it should rotate without any resistance.

Founder Poorboy's World Poorboy's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 7.5" pads with a 5" counter weight and mine works fine...there`s no need to push down with pressure as the will eliminate the random in the random orbital
    life is short ..do it while you can

e-mail info@poorboysworld.com

Post Thanks / Like

Seems like the clearance was probably an issue. After adding a washer it seems to run a little smoother although I haven`t field tested yet.

Thanks much for the help guys!

Post Thanks / Like

If your pad is grabbing the surface then it will appear to stop spinning because it will stop the orbit. The solution to that is to keep your pad clean and to use a pad conditioner. I would be concerned about the heat thing though. I`ve had my PC for several years and I`ve never had a heat issue. However, if something is keeping the motor from spinning then that could cause it to overheat. I would investigate further and find out what the issue is. It could be a warranty issue that requires repair, but that would be the first I`ve heard of the 7424 needing any warranty work. How old is it and where did you get it?

Post Thanks / Like

I think blkyukon hit it on the head.

I have the 6" cw and use 7.5" pads. My machine does get uncomfortably warm in some areas, but that`s mainly when I`m using it for a long time without a rest. I`ve never had a `stalling` problem, even when using moderate pressure. I`ve found that light pressure = more of a rotary (although still RO) action, and increasing the pressure eliminates the rotary effect, making the action clearly random orbital.
    Don M

Proud owner of a 2017
    SUPERCHARGED
    Hyper-Blue Metallic 2LT 6/Manual
    Camaro

Thread Information