Post Thanks / Like

Question Advantages of orbital machine VS. hand applications

I have an orbital machine and I was wondering what are the advantages of applying and removing products with the machine, compared to using your hand?

Which products should be applied and removed by hand, and which products should be applied and removed by the orbital machine?

Thanks in advance!
    adreed24

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Advantages of orbital machine VS. hand applications

I apply compound and SMR with a rotory or by PC. i remove sealants /waxs by hand. If i`m not mistaken theres no benefit by using a machine to remove the latter products..

I'm FloridaNative on AG Jen@autogeek's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Joe. Unless you are using a cleaner wax I would apply all waxes and sealants by hand, but again like other things it`s personal preference and in the end you should do what works best for you.
    Sometimes I lie awake at night, and I ask, "Where have I gone wrong?"
    Then a voice says to me, "This is going to take more than one night."

a step ahead
    Post Thanks / Like

IMO-I would suggest avoiding using your hands to apply/remove any polish/wax/sealer, if possible. By using a pc for applying the product you will have an even distribution of the p/w/s: which reduces product costs and reduces the application time. A great thing about using the pc to remove products is not only the reduced time factor but it also eliminates(or greatly reduces) potential marring induced by uneven pressure created by hand or excess p/w/s build up. Especially if you have a vehicle with very soft paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by detailz
    IMO-I would suggest avoiding using your hands to apply/remove any polish/wax/sealer, if possible. By using a pc for applying the product you will have an even distribution of the p/w/s: which reduces product costs and reduces the application time. A great thing about using the pc to remove products is not only the reduced time factor but it also eliminates(or greatly reduces) potential marring induced by uneven pressure created by hand or excess p/w/s build up. Especially if you have a vehicle with very soft paint.
    Just one thing to add to this, you`ll also save your hands in the long run as well... My hands used to hurt when I did things by hand (pre-PC). Other than that the Joe, Jen and Detailz summed it up perfectly.
    "Whether you think you can or think you can`t - you are right " -Henry Ford

Post Thanks / Like

I apply compound and SMR with a rotory or by PC. i remove sealants /waxs by hand. If i`m not mistaken theres no benefit by using a machine to remove the latter products..
    I agree with what joe p. has said. I remove all products by hand.
    Danny J. Whitehead

Post Thanks / Like

I am a big advocate of applying sealant and waxes by hand....you use less product....have more control...get into all the nooks and crannies...and ensure a better coverage

I bought a Polishing Pal from AG..to use to apply waxes and sealants..best money I ever spent..no cramped fingers..no flying applicator pads...and very comfortable to use....when I get to a tight spot..just take the pad off..do the area and place back on the holder...I apply my sealants and waxes in straight lines...and not in circular motions...I read some where this was best method for light refraction on the surface..and it works for me..it may do nothing...but some sealants also advise to do in front to back motions on top panels..I believe zaino also says to do it this way also...I believe my old bottle of Wolfgang says it also..side panels a up and down motion....I may be wasting my time doing this ..but my results is what counts...

compounds..SMR`s... glazes..paint cleaners...work best with a machine...residue removal works best by hand....
    AL
    2004 Ford Ranger 4x4
    Bright Red
    My PitBull Rides Shotgun

Post Thanks / Like

I also remove residue by hand. I almost always apply LSP`s by hand. I can`t see a justifiable difference in time savings, product used, or even better coverage when applying LSP by hand or machine.
    I still don`t believe in grit guards.

Thread Information