Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb What is your understanding ?

Describe the action, Define what each does when used by a person.
    Abrade--is done by what type of product what term do you normally refer to them by?
    Burnish -- is done by what type of product--what term do you normally refer to them by?
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What is your understanding ?

IMO (and I sure wish this stuff were more definitvely, uhm...defined so it weren`t a matter of *opinions*! Not like this in other fields...), "abrasion" and "burnishing" are only differentiated in the sense of *degree*, as burnishing is merely a very, *VERY* light form of abrasion.

Burnishing is done with extremely gentle abrasives, to improve the appearance of a surface that`s already sufficiently polished as to not show any flaws, not even micromarring. It`s "taking `perfect` one step farther". So for a "burnishing product" I`d reach for the mildest product I have that`ll still be functionally abrasive *to the paint in question*. I.e., a very gentle Finishing Polish.

So rather than categorizing between Abrasion and Burnishing, I`d broaden it to (most-to-least aggressive): Wetsanding; Compounding; Polishing; Burnishing. But I do recognize that "Polishing" is another of those terms that`s as broad/narrow as the speaker wants it to be, since there`s no, uhm...definitive definition.

Ketch- I appreciate your use of "Burnish" rather than "Jewel" as the latter has a rather specific definition with regard to Metal Finishing, one that has nothing to do with this Detaling stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Have noticed a concerning action by many regarding "swirls".
    Many do NOT realize that most often, the swirls are either not deep enough to require abrading/cutting of the paint finish, that often the swirls are actually in the LSP, etc and a simple "burnishing/polishing" will be enough, without abrading any of the important film build of their clear coat.
    It was for this simple reason I started the thread, to perhaps reach a few who will consider the results of the someimes actions they have been doing.
    "Logic dictates I have been at this detailing thing way too many years!":wink1:

Post Thanks / Like

By the way, burnishing is another term to describe the detailing technique or process more commonly referred to as jeweling. HOWEVER, as Accumulator points out, burnishing is more accurate in its definition of this process.

I asked this question about jeweling/burnishing if anyone is still doing it to show or concourse level cars and what techniques and products are being used. Still do not know if jeweling even applies to day, given how good polishes and foam pads are.
    Reference: https://www.autopia.org/forums/machi...light=Jeweling

One BIG point of contention about jeweling is that it can ONLY be "properly" done with a rotary buffer and not a long-throw dual action. You decide.
    Reference: https://www.autopia.org/forums/machi...light=Jeweling Post #4
    GB detailer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Ketcham View Post

Have noticed a concerning action by many regarding "swirls".
    Many do NOT realize that most often, the swirls are either not deep enough to require abrading/cutting of the paint finish, that often the swirls are actually in the LSP, etc and a simple "burnishing/polishing" will be enough, without abrading any of the important film build of their clear coat..
    Heh heh...[INSERT my usual stuff about my experiences with that..]

wannafbody
    Post Thanks / Like

Abrade-compound
    Burnish- either a torch or a fine finishing polish or glaze

Post Thanks / Like

wannafbody- Heh heh, you got my attention with..."torch"!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    wannafbody- Heh heh, you got my attention with..."torch"!

Hahaha...same here

For me, abrading would be along the line of sanding.
    Burnishing, along the lines of what Accumulator said about "jeweling"

Granted, my experience in not as long lived as some of the others on here, nor as deep.

As a side note, I do sometimes explain to customers that cutting/polishing is refining, like coarse sandpaper to a finer sandpaper (in various steps).

Thread Information