Post Thanks / Like

IPA reacted with compound to produce weird orange peel.

Hi all,

I`ve tried polishing off some scratches using my trusted menzerna Fast gloss this afternoon. Did 3 ~4 passes and removed the residue using 50/50 IPA sprayed directly onto the panel, let it sit for 5 secs then wiped off.
    After wiping, I`ve realised that a strange orange peel/camo pattern appear on the clear coat. I was horrified. I`ve never seen this before. Been using the same procedure for years. Paint is around 4 years old. The pattern only appeared on the area I was working on. I definitely did something wrong this time.
    Anyone have any insight? I was able to remove most of the damage by changing pads (but using the same compound) and wiped without IPA. I think the IPA reacted with the compound?
    Attached a picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like

Re: IPA reacted with compound to produce weird orange peel.

Is it a repaint? I always use straight IPA (whatever that concentration is, 70%?) and I`ve never had anything like that happen. I personally can`t see how IPA would react with the compound to do something like that.

If you`re using FG400, that`s pretty aggressive...maybe you removed a lot of clear.

Post Thanks / Like

for what I can see thar impefection is under the clear coat. When is fresh paint and IPA too strong it will remove the paint. tray gyeon prep its gentle with soft paints.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

I have never been a user of isopropyl alcohol in any strength on paintwork.. I would never let anything sit for any length of time on a panel especially when it was just heated up by paint correction..

Over decades, I have seen others use IPA, and have similar problems with some paintwork.. I believe many have said IPA caused their paint to swell up..

The water-based paintwork used now is in my opinion, way more susceptible to problems than the paints from before water-based..

The only cleaners for after paint correction and before coating application for my Shop has been Car Pro Eraser and only after testing it out on my personal vehicles for awhile..
    Before this product was invented, Menzerna made one I believe called Top Inspection, which I believe, has been gone for years..

Having come from automotive painting, I can tell you that we never, ever, let any product, even those products made for painting by Dupont or RM, sit on the surface of anything we did, from cleaning, to wiping down primered areas, or newly painted surfaces, and this was with the much stronger acrylic based paint, and urethane hard as rock airplane paint..

Im glad you did not use 91% IPA on that.. I hope you have not removed too much clear from that area..

Car Pro Eraser -- https://www.autopia-carcare.com/carp...l#.XmKQmXKQH3g

Good luck with this..
    Dan F
    Likes yamabob liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    I have never been a user of isopropyl alcohol in any strength on paintwork.. I would never let anything sit for any length of time on a panel especially when it was just heated up by paint correction..

The only cleaners for after paint correction and before coating application for my Shop has been Car Pro Eraser and only after testing it out on my personal vehicles for awhile..
    I agree with you 100% about not letting anything sit, especially on fresh paintwork. But if I`m not mistaken, the primary ingredient of CarPro Eraser is...IPA.
    Likes DBAILEY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

So true about heating and swelling of paint. IPA can cause problems. Spray onto microfiber and wipe do not let dwell.
    Stok-to this day i paint( from the early 80`s ) detailing before that and I`m sure you know exactly what I mean about detailing in the late 70`s . I can find WB base here but not clear. I know PPG has it in Europe. I`ve transitioned all lacquer to WB ( a little learning curve but wow I love it now).
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post
    Thanks Stokdgs thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Setec Astronomy View Post
    I agree with you 100% about not letting anything sit, especially on fresh paintwork. But if I`m not mistaken, the primary ingredient of CarPro Eraser is...IPA.
    If Car Pro Eraser Intensive Oil Cleaner does have IPA, (at what strength?) perhaps the other ingredients in it, have made it certainly paint friendly in my experiences ...

I`m not remembering anyone ever posting that Car Pro Eraser caused their paintwork to have issues.. Since there will always be so many variables in paint type, application, etc., alone, I am ok with sticking with what has proven to work for me..

I speak of using IPA straight out of the bottle on paintwork above.. Yes, there will be as many counter opinions, experiences, etc., as long as the Internet has been invented.. That`s fine..

Have seen others using IPA straight, and the paintwork seemed to swell and get sticky..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yamabob View Post
    So true about heating and swelling of paint. IPA can cause problems. Spray onto microfiber and wipe do not let dwell.
    Stok-to this day i paint( from the early 80`s ) detailing before that and I`m sure you know exactly what I mean about detailing in the late 70`s . I can find WB base here but not clear. I know PPG has it in Europe. I`ve transitioned all lacquer to WB ( a little learning curve but wow I love it now).
    Yamabob - I hope you guys are all doing good over there in South Jersey !

Oh yes, I was painting in the early 70`s and wow - what a great advancement of products, since then !
    I will always love, love, love, the way Dupont Acrylic Lacquer looked and worked back then ! And so easy to apply and finish !

Glad you stuck with it and have W/Based dialed in.. And so glad that the nasty Urethane Airplane Paint is long gone and probably still only used on Aircraft..
    When the last shop I worked in started transitioning to that stuff, I knew I was going to leave or risk my health inhaling that stuff..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

So true but Imron took a whopping. I still have a bike I did in `85 with it and that paint still looks fresh
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

If Car Pro Eraser Intensive Oil Cleaner does have IPA, (at what strength?) perhaps the other ingredients in it, have made it certainly paint friendly in my experiences ...
    I found an old MSDS and it appears to be mostly water, with about 30% IPA and a couple percent sodium laurel ether sulfate...which is a surfactant (ie detergent).

And so glad that the nasty Urethane Airplane Paint is long gone and probably still only used on Aircraft..
    When the last shop I worked in started transitioning to that stuff, I knew I was going to leave or risk my health inhaling that stuff..
    Quote Originally Posted by yamabob View Post
    So true but Imron took a whopping. I still have a bike I did in `85 with it and that paint still looks fresh
    Ok, maybe car shops aren`t spraying Imron anymore, but isn`t clearcoat really the same thing (in the same family) without the pigments? Isn`t clearcoat a two-part polyurethane just like Imron?

Post Thanks / Like

I found an old MSDS and it appears to be mostly water, with about 30% IPA and a couple percent sodium laurel ether sulfate...which is a surfactant (ie detergent).

Ok, maybe car shops aren`t spraying Imron anymore, but isn`t clearcoat really the same thing (in the same family) without the pigments? Isn`t clearcoat a two-part polyurethane just like Imron?
    Thanks Setec Astronomy..
    I wonder what strength IPA they used? Guess we will never know..
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder what strength IPA they used? Guess we will never know..
    I think in the MSDS context we can presume it`s 100%

Post Thanks / Like

IPA can cause the paint to swell; and heat(too much) can cause clear issues as well.

Let that hat area sit for a while and attempt to polish gently with a light polish and see how that area responds.

And from. Is on use a dedicated panel wipe/final wipe product.
    Scott Harle
    www.autodermatology.com
    Autodermatology
    Serving Naples and SW Florida
    Instagram: www.instagram.com/autodermatology
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/autodermatology

Thread Information