Post Thanks / Like

Spots in black paint.

I recently bought a 2014 Ford Mustang
    GT. This is my first black car. The previous owner was obviously not an Autopian- lots of contamination, water spots and swirls. I have a Griots G9 and have used Fast Correcting Cream on a thin Griot’s microfiber pad. I then followed up with Griot’s Correcting Cream with a orange Griot’s pad. I saw on Carfax that the front and roof of the car have been damaged twice by hail. I’m thinking that the front end has had a repaint. I have these spots seen on the pictures seen here. I don’t know if they are more water spots or a bad quality repaint. They are smooth to the touch. Can anyone look and give an idea what they are? I’m wondering if this is worth a wetsand or if I’m stuck with this.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Spots in black paint.

01GrayStangGT- I can`t see the issues clearly enough on this PC to say for sure, but the 3rd Pic shows what looks like "Solvent Pop". Not sure if that`s what it really is, but IMO it`s that kind off issue. You can`t fix that via further abrasion and trying will generally make things *worse*, sometimes dramatically so.

It might just be the kind of thing that can only be fixed with a paintgun (and a better painter than wielded one on it the last time).

I do think you oughta inspect it under magnification and see what`s really going on. I`d be checking it out under 15X, but some prefer an even higher magnification. I really think that`s the necessary first step, otherwise we`re just guessing and that can lead to bad outcomes.
    Likes Stokdgs liked this post

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    01GrayStangGT- I can`t see the issues clearly enough on this PC to say for sure, but the 3rd Pic shows what looks like "Solvent Pop". Not sure if that`s what it really is, but IMO it`s that kind off issue. You can`t fix that via further abrasion and trying will generally make things *worse*, sometimes dramatically so.

It might just be the kind of thing that can only be fixed with a paintgun (and a better painter than wielded one on it the last time).

I do think you oughta inspect it under magnification and see what`s really going on. I`d be checking it out under 15X, but some prefer an even higher magnification. I really think that`s the necessary first step, otherwise we`re just guessing and that can lead to bad outcomes.
    My thoughts exactly.. It is hard to tell from the picture, but if it could be he ran through arizona during a sandstorm, stayed close behind some truck that was letting all that crap fly out the back, or bad paint quality and work.

You really need to see it closely.. Perhaps going to an absolutely - Known - Excellent - Shop and find the Painter with gray hair, and have him look at this.. No "pretty good", or "production specials" places, this has to be the Best, custom shop you can find.. Otherwise, you don`t get what you pay for..

The Best Paintless Dent Repair (PDR) person can get most dents out so perfectly, and not damage the paint, that you can never find them again after he/she is done.. I had one when I had my shop in the Pacific Northwest..
    Good luck with this !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stokdgs View Post
    My thoughts exactly.. It is hard to tell from the picture, but if it could be he ran through arizona during a sandstorm, stayed close behind some truck that was letting all that crap fly out the back, or bad paint quality and work.
    I thought the same thing looking at the first two pictures. Those pits/chips in the paint collected the polish when you were working on the car and it will be really hard to remove. I remember similar damage on cars growing up in Colorado. They`d put down sand when the roads got icy and that stuff would pit the paint and glass on cars like crazy.

I`d have to agree with Accumulator on the third picture. It looks like some form of paint defect...but I`m certainly no expert.
    Drop by to see the latest at The Car Geek Blog

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Desertnate View Post
    I thought the same thing looking at the first two pictures. Those pits/chips in the paint collected the polish when you were working on the car and it will be really hard to remove. I remember similar damage on cars growing up in Colorado. They`d put down sand when the roads got icy and that stuff would pit the paint and glass on cars like crazy.

I`d have to agree with Accumulator on the third picture. It looks like some form of paint defect...but I`m certainly no expert.
    Hey, Nate ! Hope you guys are all doing good !

Yes, even in the Pacific Northwest, with all the concrete freeways, driving in all the rain even, the vehicles in front throwing all that water and sand back at your front end will absolutely wet-sand-blast-paint off in the same pattern.. I saw it on dozens of vehicles there..

And I have driven through AZ enough ( for 51 years), to see everything from sandstorms and overnight snow.. That sand though will really damage your paint if you insist on driving at speed against it.. I have seen it also damage wheels pretty darn good..

Perhaps this mustang has 2 issues then; the wear on paint from driving in some conditions and perhaps something got sprayed on the top paint, or it`s starting to act badly because of other things, including perhaps grinding too much paint off and then what was any UV protection is also gone...

I do know that the clear-bra across my 2009 Black Grand Cherokee has saved my paintwork all the damage that hit the clear bra..

Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice guys! I know a great body shop. I will have them look at it. They have done some great work for me before.
    2014 Ford Mustang GT Track Pack- Black
    2015 Chevrolet Silverado- Summit White
    2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited- Silver

Post Thanks / Like

01GrayStangGT- If you get a chance, post back about what that shop thinks. I`m really glad to hear you have somebody good!

Thread Information