Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comprehensive Gloss Measurement Thread - WaxMode Testing

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    That’s some bomb ace mirror right there. 20x what Essence is. I’ll give you $800 for it if you’re looking to part ways. Or $600 if it’s been opened for more than a year.
    LOL! That`s true, but it`s also 20x glossier than Zymol Vintage. So in reality it`s worth $2,945 x 20 = $58,900...or basically the price of just one fancy container of Zymol Solaris. I love wax math, don`t forget Rhopoint verified!

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Maybe you could wrap with a mirror looking one LOL. There are some chrome ones I`ve seen. Then you have some high gloss readings LOL. Wondering what LSPs would be doing on such of surface to the gloss readings.
    Good to see you again in here Tony, I remember that thread popping up on Autogeek with the guys looking for you!

So I just did a test with the mirror, after cleaning with Jax Wax Glass Cleaner it was peaking at 1,947GU at 20°. Quick coat of Pinnacle Souveran was peaking at 1,950GU! Real close, probably within the margin of error. Later on I might pull out the abrasives and see how they would impact the measurements of the mirror over time. The upper gloss limit that this meter can measure at is 2,000GU.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes acuRAS82 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Finally joined the forum, and I`ve read every single page of this thread.
    Great work, great insights, and a great resource that should stand the test of time.
    Waxmode has always been a favorite YouTube channel of mine.

Some random thoughts on Griot`s 3-in-1:

Griot`s ceramic spray is a remarkable product for the money. They really spent time with it, and thought about all walks of detailers.
    Given its ease of use (post-learning curve) and decent longevity, you can`t go wrong.

I`ve used it repeatedly and extensively on fully-corrected finishes (typically 3D One and an IPA), and conclude that there definitely is a learning curve when laying it down.
    Ample lighting, ample MF cloths and a mindfulness of temperature/humidity are key.

I also realized that I prefer to wear a basic mask when using it. If you inhale any of the mist on accident, you`re gonna feel it in your lungs the next day.
    Probably true for any similar product, but if you`re using `the one you prefer` you might as well take heed. Plus, it scares your neighbors...

I`ve compared this on my own against other similar products, and would consider a runner-up to be Xtreme Solutions` Poly-Seal. Griot`s applies more `communicatively` with a tiny bit more grab and consistency. I like that. It isn`t too thin or transparent.

Once you figure out your flash time, the wipe-off needs to be done with a plush and semi-dry MF towel. Multiple wipes until it`s clear. I`ve found that the wipe-off towel should work right for a few panels until it loads-up with bi-product. Then I use that one to apply, and grab a new towel to replace the wipe-off one.

The fact that it can go on trim without penalty is a big plus. I`ve used this on glass with great results.
    By the next day, it all really tightens up on the car. Hell, I`ve used this on brass instruments with success (see avatar).

I`m sure there are products that last longer or shine a tad more, but if you can spend ~$20 and quickly apply this monthly...who cares?
    It`s not a magic bullet, but definitely worth having in the arsenal at all times. Just my take.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J. Martin View Post
    Finally joined the forum, and I`ve read every single page of this thread.
    Great work, great insights, and a great resource that should stand the test of time.
    Waxmode has always been a favorite YouTube channel of mine.

Some random thoughts on Griot`s 3-in-1:

Griot`s ceramic spray is a remarkable product for the money. They really spent time with it, and thought about all walks of detailers.
    Given its ease of use (post-learning curve) and decent longevity, you can`t go wrong.

I`ve used it repeatedly and extensively on fully-corrected finishes (typically 3D One and an IPA), and conclude that there definitely is a learning curve when laying it down.
    Ample lighting, ample MF cloths and a mindfulness of temperature/humidity are key.

I also realized that I prefer to wear a basic mask when using it. If you inhale any of the mist on accident, you`re gonna feel it in your lungs the next day.
    Probably true for any similar product, but if you`re using `the one you prefer` you might as well take heed. Plus, it scares your neighbors...

I`ve compared this on my own against other similar products, and would consider a runner-up to be Xtreme Solutions` Poly-Seal. Griot`s applies more `communicatively` with a tiny bit more grab and consistency. I like that. It isn`t too thin or transparent.

Once you figure out your flash time, the wipe-off needs to be done with a plush and semi-dry MF towel. Multiple wipes until it`s clear. I`ve found that the wipe-off towel should work right for a few panels until it loads-up with bi-product. Then I use that one to apply, and grab a new towel to replace the wipe-off one.

The fact that it can go on trim without penalty is a big plus. I`ve used this on glass with great results.
    By the next day, it all really tightens up on the car. Hell, I`ve used this on brass instruments with success (see avatar).

I`m sure there are products that last longer or shine a tad more, but if you can spend ~$20 and quickly apply this monthly...who cares?
    It`s not a magic bullet, but definitely worth having in the arsenal at all times. Just my take.
    Learning curve/temp/humidity/flash time? I haven’t used 3in1 but that doesn’t sound like a quick apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Post Thanks / Like

"Learning curve/temp/humidity/flash time? I haven’t used 3in1 but that doesn’t sound like a quick apply."

That`s a fair response. I suppose easy is relative, but I`m weighing that with the expectations most users likely have of the product.
    If a brand claims +6 months durability and jaw-dropping gloss, I honestly don`t expect it to be so easy to apply that I can carelessly apply it.
    TBH it was the discussion earlier in this thread that reminded me of the subtle quirks of the product. I just don`t think it deserves to be written-off by anyone if they have a less-than-perfect first experience with it. That`s all. Again, I consider it really easy, but it took two brief sessions to conclude that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by J. Martin View Post
    "Learning curve/temp/humidity/flash time? I haven’t used 3in1 but that doesn’t sound like a quick apply."

That`s a fair response. I suppose easy is relative, but I`m weighing that with the expectations most users likely have of the product.
    If a brand claims +6 months durability and jaw-dropping gloss, I honestly don`t expect it to be so easy to apply that I can carelessly apply it.
    TBH it was the discussion earlier in this thread that reminded me of the subtle quirks of the product. I just don`t think it deserves to be written-off by anyone if they have a less-than-perfect first experience with it. That`s all. Again, I consider it really easy, but it took two brief sessions to conclude that.
    If it lasts 6 months at full performance then that certainly warrants it. If you apply it monthly though, I think there are so many spray sealants/coatings that fit this category that are spray on wipe off. I remember Waxmode/Loach had good opinions about it`s durability. It didn`t really stand out to me though, perhaps because I remember watching his review of Wolfgang Uber Ceramic Spray coating around the same time and being pretty impressed with it.
    Likes J. Martin liked this post

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

Thread Information