Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comprehensive Gloss Measurement Thread - WaxMode Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Coatings=crack View Post
    Yeah i bought the 3-1 at Griots...[but be forewarned that]...

Lastly i did have some problems with streaking due to improper lighting and even left a high spot that would not remove a day later with any wash, rinseless or even applying more product..
    Thanks for the warning!

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the feedback guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
    Loach:
    While this thread is about Last-Step Products and Waxes in particular and their objective gloss "value" as measured by a calibrated gloss meter, my question about compounds is not so much the "gloss" they produce, but rather which one(s) are easiest to work with and produce the most effective correction major paint flaws. Unfortunately, many compounds are designed to refine freshly painted vehicles that have been wet-sanded and remove the appropriate coarseness or grit of the "abrasive paper" sanding marks used to refine the paint. Most detailers will never face that paint finish scenario, unless they are fixing (very) bad auto body jobs on repaired vehicles, which apparently, some detailers are making a decent living at doing.
    ANYWAY, long story short, correcting major paint surface damage, like environmental etching, or scratches is difficult enough. I would think that there are some compounds that "work" better than most at this and are easier to work without causing more "problems" than they are trying to fix. Sonax makes CutMax compound that could offer similar results to the above-mentioned correction objectives as their Perfect Finish you highly like, BUT I make this assumed evaluation because I have never used it.
    CutMax and M101 I definitely want to try out in the future, I always avoided picking those up because they were more expensive. Sandro at Car Craft Auto Detailing made a great case for Griot`s Fast Correcting Cream on the DA polisher in terms of clarify and finish and wipeability compared to CutMax and 3D ACA 500 in his test video here which shows some awesome visuals with different paints and pads and polishers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnkccJ4olCU

Yeah i bought the 3-1 at Griots just cuz i got a good price and thought i would try it and give it away.

Well i was impressed with how substantial it seem to be and the gloss and reflectiveness on my hood. In griots video the say it’s a 6 months and that they truly vetted it and its not your typical 6month sealant that lasts 3.

Lastly i did have some problems with streaking due to improper lighting and even left a high spot that would not remove a day later with any wash, rinseless or even applying more product

Here are the gloss reflective shots of the hood. Hood is not coated with CQuK3 like rest to test products

Thos reflection of my black hood on a January over cast day.

It did degrade in about 2 months but it was getting Fenylab pure rinseless or Bilt Hamber Auto Foam weekly.

I believe both are Alkaline and degrade sealants but was testing both this and Seal and shine.

Great topper too. It is on my short list of repeat buys.
    Thanks Coatings, really appreciate that visual of the high spot for the Griot`s Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax! Would be interesting to see if that would be fully cleaned up with a quick touch up of Prep-All. Pretty crazy how it leaves a legitimate high spot on the paint, but your results after washing are mirroring the results of the gloss test, where the gloss isn`t normalizing after the wash as much, and instead required that Prep-All wipe to get those numbers to jump back up to the abrasive numbers.
    WaxMode - Product Testing & Reviews
    Likes Coatings=crack liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I appreciate the feedback guys

Thanks Coatings, really appreciate that visual of the high spot for the Griot`s Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax! Would be interesting to see if that would be fully cleaned up with a quick touch up of Prep-All. Pretty crazy how it leaves a legitimate high spot on the paint, but your results after washing are mirroring the results of the gloss test, where the gloss isn`t normalizing after the wash as much, and instead required that Prep-All wipe to get those numbers to jump back up to the abrasive numbers.
    So you are wiping with preps all after aplication and it is glossier? Do you think that affects durability?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

So you are wiping with preps all after aplication and it is glossier? Do you think that affects durability?
    Prep-All will definitely cut into Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax and knock it down either partially or fully, so you would want to reapply Griot`s afterwards. Prep-All was the one spray prep in my test that was able to normalize those gloss readings back up after Griot`s had cured, so this is why I think it would be good for anyone tackling any heavier high spots as a potential quick prep to knock down those areas to remove the streaks, and then reapply afterwards.

Waxes and sealants that I test on paint that is this polished, they drop the gloss readings. The readings are usually bumped right back up to normal after the first wash, but Griot`s resists the ability to be leveled out after this wash. Only a Prep-All wipe was able to bring the gloss numbers back up across the board which is a destructive method.

Post Thanks / Like

Tremendous thread and a most interesting read.
    Brian from Apex detail managed to achieve gloss readings of between 99 to 102 using TAC`s ̉ne Step Master. It would be an interesting exercise to see what level of gloss it is possible to achieve with this product over a base coat of Essence primer.
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMac View Post
    Tremendous thread and a most interesting read.
    Brian from Apex detail managed to achieve gloss readings of between 99 to 102 using TAC`s ̉ne Step Master. It would be an interesting exercise to see what level of gloss it is possible to achieve with this product over a base coat of Essence primer.
    I appreciate it Mac! TAC System appears to have some gloss producing gems in the lineup, eventually if they get the U.S. base up and running I might finally be able to grab Shinee Wax and others to run some tests with to see how well it fares on this specific panel.

The higher humidity in the garage is proving to have an impact in the gloss testing, mainly with the calibration tile over these warmer months here in Florida. This is one of the main reasons for the lack of updates in the thread. The issue with humidity is I can calibrate the meter to the gloss tile after cleaning, pick the meter up to run measurements on the panel, come back to the calibration tile and no longer be able to match that calibrated baseline number. The tile is able to fog over very slightly just from the humidity after lifting it the meter up, which skews the numbers. Likely the same fogging could also be occurring on the actual lenses of the meter itself to some degree.

My Poorboy`s Black Hole Glaze expired on me, it`s able to mix well during shaking but applying it to the paint I can see it`s not going on as it used to when it was fresh. Even though it`s thick and not runny in the bottle, it`s a bit watery on application and so although the short term results were promising, the expiration of the glaze and the inconsistency of the humidity put the gloss testing on the back burner and I haven`t replaced the glaze with a fresh bottle yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Loach
    Florida may seem to have some drawbacks re the weather but you need to live in Ireland to realise just how lucky you are. Our summers last maybe 6 weeks and it becomes quite a talking point if we see 22C / 70F!
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I will look forward with interest to any future review by you on TAC Systems One Step Master.
    Your thread was an absolute revelation.
    TheMac

Post Thanks / Like

My Poorboy`s Black Hole Glaze expired on me, it`s able to mix well during shaking but applying it to the paint I can see it`s not going on as it used to when it was fresh. Even though it`s thick and not runny in the bottle, it`s a bit watery on application and so although the short term results were promising, the expiration of the glaze and the inconsistency of the humidity put the gloss testing on the back burner and I haven`t replaced the glaze with a fresh bottle yet.
    Ah, thanks for posting that. I`m always interested in hearing about limited shelf-life since all my products have to stay good for years.

Post Thanks / Like

since a mirror has a very high gloss what are the numbers of a mirror

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMac View Post
    Loach
    Florida may seem to have some drawbacks re the weather but you need to live in Ireland to realise just how lucky you are. Our summers last maybe 6 weeks and it becomes quite a talking point if we see 22C / 70F!
    Thanks for the prompt reply. I will look forward with interest to any future review by you on TAC Systems One Step Master.
    Your thread was an absolute revelation.
    TheMac
    We`re definitely lucky down here in Florida, I`ll take this extreme heat and the humidity over the frigid winters from up north any day!

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Ah, thanks for posting that. I`m always interested in hearing about limited shelf-life since all my products have to stay good for years.
    I picked up my gallon of Black Hole about 5 years ago from Autopia. I`ve got the rest of the gallon up north and had a few bottles that I pulled from that brought down south to me, I`ll have to check to see how the rest of the gallon is doing when I get back up there.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry A View Post
    since a mirror has a very high gloss what are the numbers of a mirror
    The bathroom mirror I just measured at the 20° angle was reading at 1,941GU. At the 60° angle it reads 632GU. The higher the gloss of the substrate that you`re measuring, you want to switch to using the 20° angle on the meter, the lower the gloss you want to switch to the 85° angle. And for most paint testing around 80-110GU I`ll measure at the 60° angle.

Post Thanks / Like

The bathroom mirror I just measured at the 20° angle was reading at 1,941GU. At the 60° angle it reads 632GU. The higher the gloss of the substrate that you`re measuring, you want to switch to using the 20° angle on the meter, the lower the gloss you want to switch to the 85° angle. And for most paint testing around 80-110GU I`ll measure at the 60° angle.
    That’s some bomb ace mirror right there. 20x what Essence is. I’ll give you $800 for it if you’re looking to part ways. Or $600 if it’s been opened for more than a year.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by acuRAS82 View Post
    That’s some bomb ace mirror right there. 20x what Essence is. I’ll give you $800 for it if you’re looking to part ways. Or $600 if it’s been opened for more than a year.
    Maybe you could wrap with a mirror looking one LOL. There are some chrome ones I`ve seen. Then you have some high gloss readings LOL. Wondering what LSPs would be doing on such of surface to the gloss readings.
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Loach liked this post
    Thanks Loach thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like

There`s a name we haven`t seen in a while! Glad to see you post - Hope you`ve been well!

Heck, you even got your own thread of us wondering about ya over on AG: https://www.autogeekonline.net/forum...ard-swetm.html

Quote Originally Posted by SWETM View Post
    Maybe you could wrap with a mirror looking one LOL. There are some chrome ones I`ve seen. Then you have some high gloss readings LOL. Wondering what LSPs would be doing on such of surface to the gloss readings.

Post Thanks / Like

OMG, Tony! So awesome to hear from you! We’ve missed you dearly. Check your emails more often, man!
    Likes BudgetPlan1, Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome back! I hope all was and is well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information