Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Comprehensive Gloss Measurement Thread - WaxMode Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Accumulator View Post
    Loach- Heh heh..yeah, that *is* a price-to-pay for something that smells nice when the looks are so similar to the cheaper varieties! And there`s just *zero* way I`d ever put up with the sweating/etc. Man...when I finish waxing, I want to be *finished*!

And yeah#2 on Souveran, that`s about as user-friendly as paste waxes get IME, even on trim if you do it right. If you ever test *that* one (or did I miss it?) I`d be curious how it does; it`s maybe the only LSP my wife could always *immediately* spot on her silver Audi.."ah, you used the `white wax` (as she called it) again, I simply *love* how that one looks!". She`d spot it any time I switched that car from/to Souveran...which I quit doing since it meant basically rewaxing at every wash.

If it weren`t so hard to ship stuff these days I`d probably be offering to send some M16 and 476S..two waxes I consider interesting even though the former is gone now. I do have partial tins of both just sitting here going bad (if they ever *really* do..haven`t noticed that happening yet), even found new tins of M16 and the old 3M Showcar Paste Wax that I`d almost put in the Souveran category for ease-of-use (and durability too I`m afraid...but it does look nice).

And hey, I hadn`t thought of the "cold water treatment" for ages! Yeah...used to do that a lot, back in the days when I`d also spit-shine things.
    I definitely want to pull Souveran and Zymol Destiny out and put them together in a head to head and do a video on that. Since Pinnacle was formulated with Destiny`s gloss and depth of finish in mind, should be good to finally pull them both out together to see how they look. I`ve done a lot of gloss testing in the past with Souveran and I do usually see a slight decrease in readings because of its oils. 476S I can test as well, I`ve been meaning to do a video on this for years so I can grab measurements when I set it up on the panel for a video.

Should have the results posted later tonight for CarPro Essence and Gyeon Primer.

Post Thanks / Like

TheMeanGreen requested a gloss session with CarPro Essence, and I figured this would be a good opportunity to show you guys how the curing of certain products can have a measurable increase in the gloss over time. CarPro Essence and Gyeon Primer are fairly similar in function, so I tested Essence on the first day and removed it to test Primer afterwards with very similar results.

Meter: Rhopoint Novo-Gloss Trio / Calibrated to 93.1GU / 60 Measurement Angle

Test Panel Baseline

GU: 94.9 - 95.6
    Temperature (F): 82.7

Sonax Perfect Finish
    Post Panel Wipe GU: 95.4 - 96.2

Temperature (F): 82.7
    Panel Wipe: Prep-All
    Polisher: Rupes LHR15 MK III
    Pad: Rupes Yellow
    Polisher Speed: 4
    Overlapping Passes: 4
    Note: Really clean wipeoff.

CarPro Essence
    Post Application GU: 94.8 - 95.5 @ 83.1F

12 Hour Cure: 95.4 - 96.1 @ 79.8F
    24 Hour Cure: 95.3 - 96.1 @ 84.0F
    Pad: Buff and Shine Black Flat
    Polisher Speed: 3.5
    Notes: Pretty easy wipeoff, some slight residuals left behind but nothing too heavy looking. Measurable increase in gloss readings after the 12 hour cure, albeit still slight.

Sonax Perfect Finish
    Post Panel Wipe GU: 95.4 - 96.1

Temperature (F): 84.9

Gyeon Primer
    Post Application GU: 94.6 - 95.4 @ 85.8F

12 Hour Cure: 95.2 - 96.0 @ 81.3F
    24 Hour Cure: 95.2 - 96.0 @ 82.5F
    Notes: Easy wipeoff, slightly less residuals than Essence. Very similar measurable increase in gloss readings after the 12 hour cure to Essence, no changes from 12-24 hours.

Gyeon Quick Detailer
    Post Application GU: 94.8 - 95.5 @ 82.4F

So we do have about a 0.5GU increase in measurable gloss after a 12 hour cure with both Essence and Primer. This is significant for the glossmeter to detect, but 0.5GU is very slight when it comes to looking at the bigger gloss picture. The fact that these two are able to cure to very similar levels to Perfect Finish though is a bit impressive. I also played around more with Essence and applied multiple applications taking readings in between, doing both a CarPro Eraser wipe afterwards, as well as a follow up wipe with Prep-All. Here are those results:

Sonax Perfect Finish
    Post Panel Wipe GU: 95.4 - 96.2

Temperature (F): 82.2

CarPro Essence
    Post Application GU: 94.5 - 95.2 @ 83.6F

Eraser Wipe GU: 95.0 - 95.6 @ 82.4F
    Prep-All Wipe GU: 95.0 - 95.6 @ 82.5F

CarPro Essence Follow Up
    Post Application GU: 94.3 - 95.2 @ 84.3F

Eraser Wipe GU: 94.7 - 95.5 @ 82.7F
    Prep-All Wipe GU: 94.9 - 95.6 @ 82.7F

Notice the increase in the post Eraser wipedown, however we`re still not getting to that Sonax Perfect Finish level of gloss ratings even after using Prep-All as a follow up to Eraser. So there`s two scenarios I could see at play here, either the Reflect abrasives in Essence are not finishing down to comparable levels to Perfect Finish, or the built in protection in Essence has bonded well enough to run interference with both Eraser and Prep-All in the short term. Pretty interesting stuff!

There is a measurable decrease in post application gloss readings with Gyeon Quick Detailer, now this doesn`t mean that Gyeon is going to reduce your gloss in every scenario, it just means that the residuals left behind are enough for the meter to detect a decrease on paint that`s this highly polished. That`s the weakness of running gloss testing on a test panel that doesn`t have much room for a measurable increase in gloss to occur. Eventually I will try and move over to repeatable testing of measurable gloss enhancement on panels that have much more room for the gloss to increase.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, really surprised by the Essence results. Have you thought about running Essence on a black pad, 8mm stroke machine, lower machine speed, and four passes?

By the way, Loach, thank you for all the effort that you have been putting into this thread and your YT video`s, it definitely goes noticed.
    Likes Loach liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheMeanGreen View Post
    Wow, really surprised by the Essence results. Have you thought about running Essence on a black pad, 8mm stroke machine, lower machine speed, and four passes?

By the way, Loach, thank you for all the effort that you have been putting into this thread and your YT video`s, it definitely goes noticed.
    I can definitely run different throw setups with either the GG6 or G9 to see if the results come out different. Planning on setting up some testing tomorrow with Griot`s Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax with the BOSS polishes for prep. Their Ceramic Wax can be a bit heavy but it actually buffs pretty cleanly into the paint, will be interesting to see how much the curing can have on the gloss readings. Check back in a few days I should have more results!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Loach View Post
    I can definitely run different throw setups with either the GG6 or G9 to see if the results come out different. Planning on setting up some testing tomorrow with Griot`s Ceramic 3-in-1 Wax with the BOSS polishes for prep. Their Ceramic Wax can be a bit heavy but it actually buffs pretty cleanly into the paint, will be interesting to see how much the curing can have on the gloss readings. Check back in a few days I should have more results!

Awesome, thank you! Regarding the difference in machine throw, it is my understanding that when we begin to *overwork* Essence, it`s filling capabilities diminish, how that relates to gloss enhancement on a flat panel, I am still trying to figure out. The reason I ask this, is because there have been a couple of instances where I have had semi-trained eyes (without me telling the people what had been done) be able to tell the difference between a jeweled panel using SF+3800 and a panel jeweled with Essence. Somewhere earlier, either in one of your YT video`s or in this thread, you spoke about your test panel getting to the point where it is becoming quite thin, thus maybe hindering results. For the purposes of checking changes in gloss and for the purposes of longevity, have you thought about picking up a panel with rather hard clear coat? Your local high-end independent body shop would love to give you a panel for free as it is one less panel they would have to pay to get rid of.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh boy...Loach, you`re really keeping me interested! Glad you`ll be trying the GG stuff.

I bet the 476S will diminish the gloss significantly...now let`s see if I`m right/wrong

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information