Post Thanks / Like

2003 Porsche Boxster S

Hello all .. nee to the forum ..
    71 y/o with a new to me Boxster that is in great shape but in need of some TLC (swirls and not quite popping) ..

As she is 17 years old I believe in need of clay ..
    I am soooooo out of practice as it`s been 30 years since I`ve had a sports car that I want to shine .. with all the new products/processes not sure what to use .. but I don`t trust myself with a buffer so hand done is the key .. the more I read here .. the more confused I get ..

any suggestions?

thanks in advance ..

John

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 2003 Porsche Boxster S

Welcome John.
    A lot sure has changed over the past 30 years. If you intend on doing this work yourself I highly suggest that you reconsider doing this by hand. First off you will be exhausted after hand compounding (what 17 year old paint needs). Second the results won`t be anywhere near as good.
    If you insist on not machine polishing yourself my second recommendation would be to hire someone that can and then afterwards you can perform `maintenance` details.

NorCal.. Avatar = Swan Lake, Hallstatt, Austria
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, John !
    Beautiful Porsche !
    Perhaps if you want to let us know where you are located, there might even be a Detailer on this Forum that can reach out, and you guys can talk about it..
    Like all German vehicles, Porsche has very nice paintwork.. Not being able to see it up close, I cannot tell what yours is really like.
    A great Detailer will have all the tools, etc., to help evaluate your entire vehicle`s condition, and then, you decide what and how you want to move forward with this..
    Good luck !
    Dan F

Post Thanks / Like

If your insistent on doing this by hand a "cleaner wax " would be a lot easier to work with then a compound and would probably get about the same results.

Post Thanks / Like

A lot has changed in the past 30 years with detailing. I understand your apprehension about using a machine to polish out your car. When I got into detailing I was a complete schmutz, DA polishers are basically fool proof. I got good results the 1st time I used one. No possible way you could be any worse than I was, and even if you somehow are. I still don`t see you being able to mess anything up. IF you insist on doing it by hand still, well at least you have a very small vehicle. But, I still can`t even imagine how many hours that would take. I second what Stokdgs said, there might be a person on here who`s right in your area. And would come over and give you assistance for next to nothing, or maybe free just to be helpful. The kindness of people on here, especially when compared to the rest of the internet`s absolutely shocking lol. Me personally? I`d probably do like a 2x2 square by hand then quit.

I polished my tailpipes by hand and that was grueling to me lol, if you end up doing this by hand you are THE MAN and I wanna see pics.

Thread Information